Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Maui Kitebeach to be banned !

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:13 am

... does that mean Pro and Action beach are to the LEFT of zone C?

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rightguard » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:15 am

Ok so from the looks of things this doesn't change anything...

You can still launch and land from "pro beach" at Ka'a point. You just can't land threw the fish pond.

You can still launch and land from "old mans" and "naish beach." With the small exception of the last little beach. Which you really shouldn't be that close to rocks anyway.

Honestly this is not a big deal and everything can continue like normal. My favorite is to launch from pro beach and play in the break out front. Not the best wave spot but very forgiving.

What is the official rules about kiting at Baldwin or flat lands?

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:16 am

Kamikuza that's what it looks like to me...

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:18 am

Swim zone B takes a big chunk out of the windsurf launch...

loosescrew
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Old Mans Maui
Gear: Airush

Postby loosescrew » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:31 am

rightguard wrote:Swim zone B takes a big chunk out of the windsurf launch...
Exactly and all because of a kiter. Shame shame- I kite at Old Mans and have many friends who windsurf at lowers but the good news for them is they will now start to launch from Old Mans and Naish Beach to get to the lowers break be prepared for some heavy traffic.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:47 am

Wow. So, most of the fuss about this place from The Nice Guy - Pro and Action Beach - is completely unfounded. What a surprise.

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:28 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Wow. So, most of the fuss about this place from The Nice Guy - Pro and Action Beach - is completely unfounded. What a surprise.
Must admit that my first reading of this thread was that kiting was being banned entirely but that does not appear to be the case at all. It appears that the authorities took a laize fare attitude to enforcing existing rules until someone took it too far. That having been pointed out by a member of the public (who had every right to do so) has forced the authority to enforce its own rules. Sad really as it appears the hands off approach did ok for quite a while.

My observation of the restricted zones is that multiple lanes can cause confusion and congestion. If this ever goes to a consultation you might want to look at creating larger zones but fewer of them....ie keep all the kiters, windsurfers, etc up one end with the bathers at the other end. It'll be a compromise regardless but too much mud slinging and scare mongering can be counter productive.

Good luck regardless.

loosescrew
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Old Mans Maui
Gear: Airush

Postby loosescrew » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:45 pm

balugh wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:My observation of the restricted zones is that multiple lanes can cause confusion and congestion. If this ever goes to a consultation you might want to look at creating larger zones but fewer of them....ie keep all the kiters, windsurfers, etc up one end with the bathers at the other end. It'll be a compromise regardless but too much mud slinging and scare mongering can be counter productive
We have submitted an amended map for consideration which would provide access and enjoyment for all. However, it's not flying right now. Maybe in time?

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Kamikuza wrote:... does that mean Pro and Action beach are to the LEFT of zone C?
Pro beach is to the left of zone C and naish beach to the right. Zone C takes out a popular spot for instructors giving lessons (although they're generally on the beach and not in the water there) as well as a nice little flat water spot between the first pair (from the right) of breaks. A lot of kite testing goes on in that same area (Naish and probably others). The far right side of zone C was my "go to" spot to get away from the crowds usually and to play in some "flat water", but I guess it's off limits now? :-?

Overall though, you don't get too many kiters in zone C other than the area on the far right side. I can't make out the extent of zone C on the left side though from the pic of the sign.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Anyway I don't live there - just spent a bit of time there so prob don't know the full story - but think it goes like this:

I think this whole thing was because of an altercation at ka'a point behind the rocks - not the awesome slick in front of them. It's useful to land there sometimes to avoid the sometimes pretty harsh wind shadow in front of rocks with easterlies). It is not huge consequences not to ride there/land there though here at all - it is not a ridable spot - but is useful in that easterly.

I think the beaches should be called their real names by commercial entities , they could maybe use their nicknames in brackets. I don't think some of the non kiters that use this area would be too stoked to see these names being used commercially on flyers for kite lessons or whatever- just a bad PR exercise IMO.

Return to “Kitesurfing”