Im planning coming to maui soon but worried bout all these regulations :(

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Maui Kitebeach to be banned !

Postby rightguard » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:19 am

I wish people would stop going overboard... It's a little inconvenient and not very fair but these new rules won't bother anyone and their kitesurfing vacation to hawaii. Chances are no one will enforce the rules and in no time it will be back to normal.

madmax7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards

Postby madmax7 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:14 am

Just to share the windsurf perspective from someone on site,

I live on Maui and I agree the maps are a bit hard to decipher. However, here's what I see:

1) zone A: eliminates access to the eastern most beach, known locally as "kook beach." This is an important spot for beginners, with light wind and shelter. Restricting access there has 2 problems: a) the beginners have to learn in more difficult areas; b) the beginners will clog up the rest of the area more, since they tend to drift to the west (downwind) and then walk in shallow water with their gear back upwind

2) zone B: we'll lose the area most people launch from, and will have to carry our gear to areas to launch. We'll also lose areas we come in at if the wind dies or we have an equipment issue.

3) zone C: won't be much of a problem for windsurfers. May affect kiters, but I'm not the best to comment on that.

Does all of this destroy windsurfing at Kahaha? NO
Does it create problems for windsurfing at Kanaha? YES
Could swim zones be designed better to allow good access for both swimmers and windsurfer/kiters? YES

Just FYI, I use both sides of park since I do both sports, the problem for Wsurfers is trying to exit on light winds, a small window!

If you think this will blow over, Hookipa is going thru limited access for Wsurfers, did that blow over?

I fail to understand how an industry that grew out of the island cannot get organized!

In So. cal we ve had near closures and organizations have done fund raisers, created signs, educated people, and we ve managed to keep beaches open!

In Maui, where these industries ( not to mention names. N, C, W, and others that have made $ selling boards, sails, kites, etc) have made a shit load of $ , cannot even contribute to create signs and collaborate with somekind of a kiting organization? One of these names even has a kite beach named after him, N beach, maybe if he would have spend a few $ to put up a sign ... And told his people to educate people on the beach instead of abusing priviledges by throwing tricks close to shore to show off!

Instead the authorities put up signs restricting our access?

Shame on all those that make money from these sports and done little to organize, this crap has been brewing for months, and not much has been done.

How ironic, the birthplace (perhaps not actual but perceived) of these sports is being sqeezed out of the island!

Just my outsider perspective! But, I've been going to Maui on a regular basis for over 30 years, and cannot believe that it's come to this!

Max

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:37 pm

It does say "no person shall LAUNCH"... surely, landing is no issue?

loosescrew
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Old Mans Maui
Gear: Airush

Postby loosescrew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:19 pm

rightguard wrote:I wish people would stop going overboard... It's a little inconvenient and not very fair but these new rules won't bother anyone and their kitesurfing vacation to hawaii. Chances are no one will enforce the rules and in no time it will be back to normal.
We wish that were the case, but having direct contact with DLNR it is moving forward. We have a few VIP's that are contacting the Mayor this week. We are still working hard to get the Amendment in place.

vfr
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bodega Bay
Favorite Beaches: Too many to list
Style: mellow
Gear: Cabrinha xbow, Fluid torque, Bandit DOS

Postby vfr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:28 pm

I got a reply from Stacy Masuda. The content was essentially the same as the photos posted here
of signposts defining zones A, B and C. So it seems like hardly any change for kiters but
the poor windsurfers have lost their best launch area. I used to launch from what is
now part of zone B in my windsurfing days. I wouldn't blame them for being mad. Naish beach
is not really much of alternative for them. They have Sprecks but the parking situation is unpleasant
there, or was when I used to do it. Can anyone say what is happening with Baldwin? I hear
rumours that it is being opened up to us.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:26 am

This would be funny if it wasn't so annoying.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:44 am

I haven't seen it yet but I heard there was a sign allowing kites from Baby Beach up 200 yards towards Baldwin...

loosescrew
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Old Mans Maui
Gear: Airush

Postby loosescrew » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:33 pm

vfr wrote:I got a reply from Stacy Masuda. The content was essentially the same as the photos posted here
of signposts defining zones A, B and C. So it seems like hardly any change for kiters but
the poor windsurfers have lost their best launch area. I used to launch from what is
now part of zone B in my windsurfing days. I wouldn't blame them for being mad. Naish beach
is not really much of alternative for them. They have Sprecks but the parking situation is unpleasant
there, or was when I used to do it. Can anyone say what is happening with Baldwin? I hear
rumours that it is being opened up to us.
Exactly - the WS's have the brunt of the action take by DLNR all because of one reckless kiter who provoked this whole thing. There was only ONE complaint filed and it was this family. There was no issues on the part of other users at these access sites. Well, correction - there was a "sting" by DLNR with some fisherman out in the kite area and a kiter came by very close (not in the 200 foot rule for those who don't even know one exists) splashed and flipped off the fisherman all of which is on video. I honestly think that the kiter should be banned from this launch site. But just image, if us kiters are currently in a crowded situation, it is only going to get worse because now many "Lowers" WS'rs are now going to launch at Old Mans and Naish Beach. That really sucks for us. Yes, we can kite off Baldwin but no WS'ing.

joe weiss
Medium Poster

Postby joe weiss » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:24 am

Yo ! Can anybody give a brief about the outcome ?
Signed the petition a few weeks ago and was wondering what happens since.
Sorry, but 20 pages are too many pages to go through.

J

Return to “Kitesurfing”