All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Maui Kitebeach to be banned !
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:02 am 
Rare Poster

Petition signed, emailed Underwood and emailed the Legislators. This is what I said. Anyone is welcome to copy and paste as I think the message is similar for many users of Kanaha park.

Dear Maui Legislators,

Would you please review the restrictions that are being proposed for Kanaha beach on Maui. I understand that the Oahu District Office , DLNR Boating Division, Oahu District Manager Edward Underwood (acting) is leading these proposed changes.

My family and I vacation in Maui. We choose Maui because the kiteboarding access at Kanaha park is world class. There are few other places on Maui to access the water where the North East trades blow so regularly. When we come to Maui we're happy to spend our tourism dollars on accommodation, vehicle rental, food and entertainment. We would likely choose to go elsewhere (not Hawaii) if what I understand to be proposed is approved.

I believe there are thousands of other families such as mine that would reconsider their next visit to Maui if these changes are implemented.

Please consider all the stakeholders and interested user groups in any changes to the swim zones and kiteboarding access at Kanaha park.

Regards,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:22 am 
Frequent Poster

Please see attached link.

http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=10687

The signs will go up. There is no stopping them. They just show up one day. Everybody gets pissed and demands action. Then there is no action or not the right action.

Kiters are few to the many others. The key is to be proactive and not wait for the signs or the situation to arise. This is just one sign we have in Miami at one location. However, it is not the only location where kitesurfing is completely banned from a once thriving spot. We have may like it. I wish I had beach access to kite in every single possible wind direction. The truth is, some days we don't kite because of the wind direction.

The two best spots in Miami have 100 feet or less of beach access with mandatory kite corridors, body dragging out to safer kiting zones, IKO level 3 mandate, membership fees, insurance requirements. Miami is a huge international tourism destination and some spots are well know in the international community. Yet the bans still moved forward like a Cat 5 Hurricane.

Not taking sides here. Just thought some real time information would help others.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:56 am 
Medium Poster

Please take the five or ten minutes to write to the representatives listed on the previous page. Those letters are about the only thing they take seriously. Forum banter makes no headway towards a cause. Having spent time at Kanaha and having friends there who make their living from having that place open, I have seen first hand what it could be like if these bans are enforced. Overcrowding will be a real issue, tempers will flare, industry development will wane somewhat, and people will go elsewhere. I was actually surprised by how good the vibe was when I was last there in early May. This looks to change pretty quickly unless there is more action and letters written to the right people, something that the opponents knew how to do quite effectively. Get on board and help the kiting community of Maui.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:29 am 
Medium Poster

I signed the petition. My wife and I may be going to the Big Island in April on a business trip I will probably win. I was going to head over to Maui at the beginning or end of the trip to kite. My understanding is the Big Island is not so good for kiting. If I email the people you listed - are they concerned with all of Hawaii or just Maui? Reason I ask - I will put in the letter that it will deter us from coming to Maui if access for kiting is restricted. We will chose another island. Let me know what I can do to help. Is the wind good in April? Lastly, I have never kited in Hawaii before. Is there anyone that can show me the ropes in Maui assuming access is not restricted? or point me in the right direction? I am an experienced Kiter but don't know anything about kiting there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:50 am 
Medium Poster

My letter to Mr. Underwood and all the legislators listed:

Dear Mr. Underwood (and the legislators cc’ed):

I am writing regarding the proposed ban on kitesurfing and other water sports at Kanaha Beach Park. My family will be visiting Maui for the first time in December, for a 2-week vacation. A big part of our decision to visit Maui, versus other destinations, is to pursue my main recreational pursuit, kiteboarding.

Maui is an internationally renowned wind sport destination, and Kanaha Beach area is the center of this universe. People devote their lives to pursuing both kiting and windsurfing and I expect this access issue affects hundreds, if not thousands, of island residents. Furthermore, I expect kiting and windsurfing have a substantial impact on Maui’s local economy, with tourists such as our family spending thousands of dollars to pursue the sport. I will rent local gear, I will buy my family kiting lessons from locals, and we will pay for accommodations and eat in local restaurants. If access is denied, our vacation will suffer immensely and we will not likely be back – we will spend our money where this recreational pursuit is more welcome.

I understand there multiple user groups seeking access to this beach, including anglers, swimmers, paddlers, canoers, kayakers, windsurfers, and kiters. My understanding is that an informal pattern of use has been established over the past 20 years that is largely working. For example, the swimmers and anglers have unlimited access before 11am, when the wind is typically light. The wind enthusiasts’ access begins only after 11am. There are beaches that are reserved for surfer access, windsurfer access, and for kiting access. It appears to me that the stakeholders have worked out an access model that works for the vast majority of users. Though I understand there is also a very vocal minority that is seeking to shut this down and is not willing to consider compromise. With literally thousands of satisfied users imminently denied access, I urge you to consider the greater good in this access issue. I am sure there are numerous beaches that offer great swimming. However, there are very few beaches that offer the proper orientation and size for an appropriate kite launch.

It is my understanding it is a 25-year old rule that is at the heart of this matter. I suggest this rule did not anticipate the current use of this area with the variety of stakeholder groups involved and the numbers of users. Enforcement of this outdated rule will lead to significant unanticipated consequences to thousands of beach users -- I urge you to pursue the political avenues necessary to change this rule, in order to reach a beach access solution that addresses the shared use of this resource. I believe there is a consensus “win-win” solution here that can address both the needs and concerns of all stakeholder groups, allowing shared access for all.

I thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

PS and message to the Governor:

Dear Governor Abercrombie: please find below a letter I sent today to Mr. Underwood of DLNR and cc'ed to the legislators of Hawaii. Please consider becoming involved in this issue, as I believe a great injustice is imminent , unless rational minds prevail. I believe closing this access will be a startlingly poor political and economic decision, catering to a highly vocal minority while ignoring the greater good.

Sincerely,

Last edited by juandesooka on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:56 am 
Rare Poster

It's amazing how many of us are ranting and raving about this situation when we, in fact, are the group that provoked the State to take this action. There are so many innocent water men and women who use this area every day windsurfing, surfing, supping, canoes, swimmers all who have played in this area, harmoniously, for many years. It's will be a tragedy to so many of us because of the stupid, reckless and selfish behavior of a few kiters who are now crying. I was out kiting today and so many kite egos out there - really wtf people. Get your shit together it's not all about you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:15 am 
Very Frequent Poster

loosescrew wrote:
It's amazing how many of us are ranting and raving about this situation when we, in fact, are the group that provoked the State to take this action.

If that were actually the case, and the only cause, I'd have much less sympathy for them than I do. But the problem is the agitations of a little family of selfish trolls, creating trouble where there isn't really any...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:30 am 
Medium Poster

loosescrew wrote:
It's amazing how many of us are ranting and raving about this situation when we, in fact, are the group that provoked the State to take this action. There are so many innocent water men and women who use this area every day windsurfing, surfing, supping, canoes, swimmers all who have played in this area, harmoniously, for many years. It's will be a tragedy to so many of us because of the stupid, reckless and selfish behavior of a few kiters who are now crying. I was out kiting today and so many kite egos out there - really wtf people. Get your shit together it's not all about you.

There are bad apples in every barrel, doesn't matter what sport or any aspect of society. The fact that there are idiots that a community can't control is not a reason to ban the 99.9% who behave and play nice. Everyone is not always going to get along and not everyone will follow the rules. That is where enforcement comes in. A community can self police to a point ... but past the point, real policing is needed. [think of surfing ... decades of hyper aggressive conduct, fights in the water and on the beach ... is surfing banned? No. But people are getting arrested for "surf rage' now....effective enforcement then becomes the deterrent and things change]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:37 pm 
Medium Poster

I've signed the petition and hope it is has some affect but I want to chime in that this is brought on by kiters themselves. I live on South Padre island and we too are a big destination kiting area. With that comes more and more problems each year. Kiters come from all over and no one comes to ask about local issues and then we get trampled upon. Some cases: On the Gulf side most kiters kite at the jetties but we have a local verbal rule that we DO NOT launch and kite in the surfers zone at building one. All that needs to be done is to drive 200 yds down wind to building two and launch from there. Building one area has lots of swimmers and surfers, building 2 is basically empty. But visitors just go about believing the wind is free and ride through hordes of swimmers and then piss off the local surfers whom have a lot more swing weight with the local policing agencies. There is absolutely no need for this and can gets us banned from the Park for good. Then we get the friends teaching friends with trainer kites and inflatables on the beach with on-shore winds and only 30 yds of beach area and lines nearly hitting the beach walkers. At the store I work at we get complaints all the time. If there is an accident the County/City will shut us down. Then the Bay side is all private properties. There are only 2 legal launching sites but people drive all over other private properties and creating new access roads all the time. This will in time only piss off property owners that will complain again to the County who'll then try to find or create more regulations.

So as we grow as a community we must be way more pro-active in respecting the places we go to. the wind may be free but Access is far from free. Be pro-active in finding the locals, getting the issues and then respecting those issues. This will be a large step in preventing things like this issue in Maui and keep us in good standings with local enforcement groups.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:07 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Haole_Built wrote:
wedge wrote:
RichardM wrote:
If the buoys are not excessively far out, perhaps drift launching and self-rescuing outside the swim zones will be feasible. I imagine that they wouldn't consider kite equipment to be vessels or crafts when not being able to function as such.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

Wow. After shitting all over this effort, both here and on iKitesurf months ago, Richard M tries to be constructive. Drift launching through swimmers, through breaking waves, and over coral beds... Yes! Way safer than sharing the beach.

:roll: Listen... I know it is often irresistible to ignore this mouth-breathing troll and the drivel that he spews, but you are only encouraging him to respond. The only way to make this fucktard stop, is to just pretend he is not here.

I'm sorry. I guess I should have added this detail to make it easier for you to grasp such a complicated procedure. You don't start to unwrap your lines until you're OUTSIDE of the swim zone AND have a big enough buffer downwind so that in the event that something goes wrong, you still have time to pull your head out of your ass and avoid any non-kiters.

Maybe ALL the pictures I've seen of the subject area were coincidentally taken when there was less surf than from a boat wake - or maybe you're such a studly pro that boat wakes are too much for you.

And since I don't have to deal with the scary situation of swimming or treading water over killer corral beds for a couple of minutes in nice flat water, it didn't occur to me that it's so spooky that even studly pros like you can't deal with it.

But no matter how difficult and terrifying the foregoing is, I wouldn't be surprised if, "YES! Way safer than sharing the beach." - IF rocket scientists like you and Hole Butt are on the beach.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

[ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next