Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switch Labs

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Switch Labs

Postby Laughingman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:55 am

eree wrote:i don't understand why so much fuss about pretty much nothing?

any technical university can make similar videos anywhere in the world. so what the fuss about?
switch made this videos first? so what? it does not make switches kites better than they are...
Are yah havin a bad day eere? I'm not currently a fan of switch kites but I may be one day especially if they continue to be as transparent as they have been within this thread and others come to think of it. Bill is this companies asset. When they start making kites that perform like I want them to it will be hard to resist. The fact they recognized that the single center line safety is a required option says they are listening to everyone, not just their team riders.
Carry on switch people, I'm excited to see what you do next!
Sincerely
Pete

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:55 am

Let's be honest, there is more just mechanical scientific enquiry in this approach. It is technical marketing. But one thing seems true that switch through Bill is consistently giving information in all areas (such as pricing in another post) so this consistency has (for what it's worth) got my tick of approval. But the purchasing proof is in the kites and how they ride in the end.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:00 pm

One thing about Switch is their accessibility and availability. A lot of the people at most companies might as well live and work on Mars as far as having any line of communication with them goes.

With that said; Switch kites have the potential to be the best kite. They just need to know what to change or how to make them the best.

How could a kite be changed up to make it absolutely the best? They really do read and reply to emails. So it's not like with most companies where you wonder if they even got the email and it was read.

With current cost of materials, the rates the factories are charging for construction, plus the outrageous shipping rates these days, plus inflation, the value of the dollar compared to other currencies; times were a lot different 10 years ago when kites were $300-$400. Cheaper materials; lower factory rates; shipping seemed almost free back then compared to now. Also too, $600-$700 kites compared to the $1,000-$2,000 kites from most all other companies right now.

I have an Element. Construction and materials is top notch and just as good or better as other brands. The bar(1st version) is very similar to Norths bar.

Anyone needing a new kite on a budget; free shipping and 30 day money back and you'll have it in less than 10 days. No reason at all now to not try out one of these kites. Fly it; offer feedback and makes these the best kites.

http://switchkites.com/guarantee

flat trixx
Rare Poster
Style: wakestyle
Been thanked: 0

Postby flat trixx » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:50 pm

From the switchkites homepage:
Front Lines: white, 1.7mm diameter, 0.55% elongation at 80daN, 395 daN breaking strength
Rear Lines: white/blue and white/red, 1.45mm diameter, 1.00% elongation at 80daN, 310 daN breaking strength

These information could be fantastic, but it´s worthless if the competitors don´t let us know what they use. Is this quality or shit? I don´t know.

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity

Postby mr_daruman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Thats the thing though there is little technical info on kite products. Switch tries to bring this out in their tech & specs (very detailed) page and the bar test videos, but we don't really have anything to compare it too...
And kite magazine reviews are a joke, all kites and boards a basically amazing (Kiteworld...). On a scale from 1 to 5 its always a 4 or a 5 .... :?:

JamesVegas
Frequent Poster

Postby JamesVegas » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Loving these videos Switch, it's easy to see why we are seeing more of these kites on UK shores now.

Will you guys be doing any canopy material test videos? There are a few of the big brands claiming their new material is stronger, stiffer and more hard wearing than standard ripstop, having had kites with D2 for a few years they certainly feel better and I've never torn one but I'd be interested to see some comparisons done if you guys have got a bit of time on your hands!

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi James:
Yes. Canopy and tube fabrics. Seam construction as well. :thumb:
JamesVegas wrote:Will you guys be doing any canopy material test videos?

ZigZag
Medium Poster

Postby ZigZag » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:54 pm

A few days ago, I pulled back the float on my Switch bar, and noticed what appeared to be fraying of the short lines that attach the leader to the bar ends. So today I removed the leader line, and the fraying was more noticeable.
1.jpg
I undid the overhand knot, and removed the line. This is what it looked like:
2.jpg
This is what the other side looked like:
4.jpg
I reversed the line, and secured it with an overhand knot. The frayed section is now protected by the bar end, and is no longer subject to abrasion.
3.jpg
Done! The bar is good for another 2 years of kiteboarding!

I fly Switch Method V1's, famous for their bar pressure. No doubt this contributed to the rate of wear. If I had a quiver of kites with wimpy bar pressure, I am sure those lines would be in much better condition.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:06 pm

No matter what gear from what brand, it's always important to check it from time to time.

Switch sells pigtail kits for the bar.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:24 pm

ZigZag wrote:A few days ago, I pulled back the float on my Switch bar, and noticed what appeared to be fraying of the short lines that attach the leader to the bar ends. So today I removed the leader line, and the fraying was more noticeable.
1.jpg
I undid the overhand knot, and removed the line. This is what it looked like:
2.jpg
This is what the other side looked like:
4.jpg
I reversed the line, and secured it with an overhand knot. The frayed section is now protected by the bar end, and is no longer subject to abrasion.
3.jpg
Done! The bar is good for another 2 years of kiteboarding!

I fly Switch Method V1's, famous for their bar pressure. No doubt this contributed to the rate of wear. If I had a quiver of kites with wimpy bar pressure, I am sure those lines would be in much better condition.
Interesting post, I note the photos show the bar has decent use, how many sessions do you suppose you have on it, is the the only one you have ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”