Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The best way to get to the colapsed kite at the water

Forum for kitesurfers
fokiten
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The best way to get to the colapsed kite at the water

Postby fokiten » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:07 pm

fdvj wrote:Not a great idea, your board could act like a sea anchor and give the kite enough line tension to take off, and a kite looping with a board attached would be a hazard to others.
never really gave that any consideration ....mostly because I'd only done this in weak ass winds.

I must say trying to get to the kite in high powerful winds is likely to see the kite take off no matter what your method...

my advice would be forget about it if it's nuken...

kind of drives home the need to carry a co 2 inflation belt....

right - on
fokiten

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The best way to get to the colapsed kite at the water

Postby RichardM » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:37 pm

fokiten wrote:
fdvj wrote:Not a great idea, your board could act like a sea anchor and give the kite enough line tension to take off, and a kite looping with a board attached would be a hazard to others.
never really gave that any consideration ....mostly because I'd only done this in weak ass winds.

I must say trying to get to the kite in high powerful winds is likely to see the kite take off no matter what your method...

my advice would be forget about it if it's nuken...

kind of drives home the need to carry a co 2 inflation belt....

right - on
fokiten
I have not personally tried this technique, but I read about it on this forum (I think) and it seems to have a lot of advantages:

Use your board to wrap 1 line around until you've used enough line so that the kite can't power up.

Then you can either continue wrapping all the lines around the board or the bar.
Besides disabling the kite, it keeps the board with you and you still have 2 hands free.

Of course, this assumes that you still are able to reach your board and frequently this isn't the case. Perhaps this is ANOTHER minor reason why someone might want to use a board leash.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

Return to “Kitesurfing”