Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lofting/Deadly Dragging

forum for kitesurfers


OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1758
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:35 am

Lofting/Deadly Dragging

Postby OzBungy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:57 am

A thread was started on the Australian forum to discuss this issue after a kiter was dragged through power lines and ended up on the roof of a house. It's not appropriate to fill the accident thread with blame and finger pointing.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kite ... l/Lofting/

From that thread:
The question is, how do people get lofted with modern gear? Is it extreme conditions, gear failure, or user error, or all of the above? I thought the risk of lofting had been designed out of kites with the advent of bow kites.

In the C kite days we used to see people getting dragged across roads and through power lines all the time. It was almost a weekly occurrence. You could drive past beaches and count the repairs to the power lines. I personally witnessed at least 4 power line cutting, roof landing drags.


What are your thoughts?

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4483
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Lofting/Deadly Dragging

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:10 am

Over-powered and then the gusts come in. Panic, pull the bar accidentally and off you go. Or a lull drop the kite back into the power zone, then it powers up in a gust and off you go.

Seen a few guys yanked over the beach; self-launch went wrong and a couple of learners looping and supermanning.

I've been out a few times when just sheeting the bar would lift me off the ground - paraglider weather. Great fun when it's consistent but when it's gusty like it was on Monday, I slowly and carefully get the kite to the edge of the window and low, and get it the hell out of the sky.

User avatar
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 542
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:54 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Nobile Flying Carpet
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Como Lake - Italy

Re: Lofting/Deadly Dragging

Postby pmaggie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:22 am

IMO, basically, overpowered. Maybe a sudden gust but it's rare and it normally happens in already dangerous weather conditions, i.e. an approaching storm, a "strange wind" that is not the usual one of the spot, a very gusty situation and so on. I've never seen someone (correctly powered) lofted or dragged through power lines in standard good weather conditions. I saw little accidents near the beach, the classic beginner pulling the bar instead of releasing or a self lauch went wrong but all of these accidents were "minor" ones, not deadly lofting or dragging.
But, here we are again, "it is the only size I own" it's (potentially deadly) common on the beach...

Jdude
Medium Poster
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:48 am
Kiting since: 2007
Style: newschool
Gear: Xenon + Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lofting/Deadly Dragging

Postby Jdude » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:35 am

IMO it is the industry's + instructors' to blame for giving newbies too much confidence in the gear.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:28 pm

Re: Lofting/Deadly Dragging

Postby JGTR » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:15 am

Jdude wrote:IMO it is the industry's + instructors' to blame for giving newbies too much confidence in the gear.


Yeah yeah blame the instructors, do you actually have 2 brain cells to rub together??

Since when did u see instructors teaching riding overpowered with kites that are too big, tricking right next to the beach, dangerous self launching and landing, riding too close to obstacles, riding helmet less, riding too close to other riders..........

Look in the mirror, it's the "expert" or so called "competent" riders that blame everyone else for bad standards yet fail to realise that unless they lead by example nothing will improve.

User avatar
DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Miami @ 6" Flat Butter!

Re: Lofting/Deadly Dragging

Postby DrLightWind » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Jdude wrote:IMO it is the industry's + instructors' to blame for giving newbies too much confidence in the gear.
I don't think so :nono:
That's incoherence when somebody is overriding their coherence with fantasy
and becomes toxic as you see the result :!:

DrLW

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4483
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Lofting/Deadly Dragging

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:52 pm

JGTR wrote:Since when did u see instructors teaching riding overpowered with kites that are too big, tricking right next to the beach, dangerous self launching and landing, riding too close to obstacles, riding helmet less, riding too close to other riders..........

Look in the mirror, it's the "expert" or so called "competent" riders that blame everyone else for bad standards yet fail to realise that unless they lead by example nothing will improve.

I don't see the connection between being lofted on the beach and stunting close to shore...

User avatar
balugh
Frequent Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:52 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com
Location: Norfolk, UK
Contact:

Re: Lofting/Deadly Dragging

Postby balugh » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Everyone's got to do the drills...

On land the kite should be at 10 or 2 o'clock...

If something happens be ready to release the safety....

If something really bad happens be ready to release the kite....

I recently fully released a death looping kite as it dragged me towards some steel and stone groynes.... I was not happy watching the kite fly away....but I was very happy about not being lofted onto or dragged into something really nasty. As it was the kite flew over the obstacles and got caught in some gorse bushes and dunes. Everything...with a bit of care...was undamaged.

Everyone does get blasé because the kites have much greater wind ranges than they used to. But you've still go to be prepared to make an instant decision to cut loose.

There is...in fact...a pretty good argument that if you're handling a kite on land you should not be hooked in at all....other than via the safety. After all....if a big gust pulls it out of your hands it has probably saved you from being lofted.

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4483
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Lofting/Deadly Dragging

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:28 pm

balugh wrote:Everyone's got to do the drills...

On land the kite should be at 10 or 2 o'clock...

If something happens be ready to release the safety....

If something really bad happens be ready to release the kite....

I recently fully released a death looping kite as it dragged me towards some steel and stone groynes.... I was not happy watching the kite fly away....but I was very happy about not being lofted onto or dragged into something really nasty. As it was the kite flew over the obstacles and got caught in some gorse bushes and dunes. Everything...with a bit of care...was undamaged.

Everyone does get blasé because the kites have much greater wind ranges than they used to. But you've still go to be prepared to make an instant decision to cut loose.

There is...in fact...a pretty good argument that if you're handling a kite on land you should not be hooked in at all....other than via the safety. After all....if a big gust pulls it out of your hands it has probably saved you from being lofted.

Some people are just not going to "throw away" their $3000 kite. I can hear them thinking "I can still save it!" as they go flying across the beach...

The key is experience... knowing when the shit is going to hit the fan and your odds of saving it are not in your favor and throwing the QR - BEFORE the "something bad happens."

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:58 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lofting/Deadly Dragging

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:37 pm

hope the fellow get´s well.

seem it was linked with some poor choices, probably linked with unexperience

in the lack of regulation/licensing a bit of localism goes a long way


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BillyGoatGruff and 14 guests