Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha or North

Forum for kitesurfers
windnwater
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lyme Regis
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands, Putsborough Sands, Gwithian, Praa Sands, Watergate Bay
Style: Twintip
Gear: 141cm Cabrinha Tronic, 14m Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha or North

Postby windnwater » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Hi Guys,

Due to personal circumstances I have come into a lump of money and really want to get some nice gear for kiting in Lyme Regis, UK.

It's pretty changeable here and I'm looking at 2 options for a set of gear at the moment. Two shops nearby have competing brands and I wondered if anyone had experience on the gear?

I'm looking at a '14 Cabrinha Switchblade 14m + '14 Cabrinha Tronic 141cm

or

a 14' North Rebel 14m and '14 Xride 140cm

All advice and experience will be appreciated, thanks!

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: Cabrinha or North

Postby davesails7 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Personally, I like the Rebel better than the Switchblade, but that's a personal thing, others like Switchblade better.

They are targetted at similar riders I'd say. Switchblade is better unhooked, Rebel is not good unhooked. I think Rebel is a little better in the waves.

Some people don't like the 5th line of the Rebel, but I haven't had any issues with it and appreciate the ease of self landing. 2014 Cabrinha bar now leashes to a single front line, so the safety is pretty much the same as a 5th line.

The bar pressure on Switchblades have always been too high for me and turning too slow (again, personal preference), but I haven't tried the 2014.

Try and get a demo if at all possible! The first time I rode the Rebel I thought "This is the kite for me!" and everytime I ride a Switchblade I think "I can't stand this thing!" My buddy who flies Switchblades is the opposite, he won't fly anything else :D

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:28 pm

rebel is a 5 line kite, that's probably the main reason I don't ride north, they are very nice kites tons of depower very stable in gusty conditions it has a nice direct feel, but not any good for unhooking pulls downwind too hard unhooked, cabrinha switchblade is a very nice all around kite, better for riding unhooked. If it were for me, I would get a 14 cab switchblade and a jaime pro 135 board. Everyone is different tho, some don't mind if it is a 5 line kite, some people need to ride a surfboard and grab some waves need a kite that drifts some just jump some people need a kite that can work well unhooked. If you are at a relatively inexperienced level, I think you'll be happy with either kite, have fun.

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Definitely Cabrinha.

I have all the 2014 stuff and just love every inch of it....

JamesVegas
Frequent Poster

Postby JamesVegas » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:30 pm

I've heard some people talk of poor quality material on Cabrinha kites, the D2 on the Rebel is very stiff and very strong. Go North.

Disclaimer. I love North Kites.

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:34 pm

If North, then Vegas or NEO.

DionisKiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Turnagain Arm,Alaska
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby DionisKiter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:53 pm

I fly Switchblades. I have 2014 SB and I like them a lot! I think SB and Rebel are two different kites. Build quality and materials is top notch on both kites. I didn't buy 2014 Rebels because of 5th line. I could get Rebels for a lot less($150-200 cheaper per kite than SB) A friend of mine was a huge fan of Rebels till he tried the Evo. He commented that Evo is much better all round kite, he hated 5 th line on the Rebel. It is a nightmare when you drop Rebel and kite lines invert. On 4 line kites you can fly the kite fine with lines inverted.

Try '14 switchblade and new North Evo and see which one works best for you!

I haven't tried those boards yet. I like the Cab Custom a lot and I would not trade it for anything else.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:12 am

uhhmmm……..neither….

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:56 am

Not sure why you have narrowed it down to these two brands but if so...

Rebel is a high aspect, big boosting free ride hooked in kite, that is functional in the waves if you keep it moving. Some pros unhook but for normal riders and some pros make them look in the waves, personally I dont rate them one bit in the waves...get on a wave kite and you will see why.

SB is really an all rounder kite. Allows a little versatility but will not give you that higher aspect rider qualities.

You need to define what you are after as both are exceptionally built kites. I rode north and ozone but have spent a lot of time of SB s and have seen a 2014 SB in ether flesh and its build is exceptional. Watched a guy unhook really well on this kite.

Don't listen to the top poppy knockers, I demo many many kites all year around (kind of a hobby of mine, I don't just demo to buy) and the quality of build is very noticeable. However the question that always comes into my mind is what quality is good enough. Does it justify the price difference?

In the end get on both as they each share a cab or north feel....as you get with an ozone or Airush feel.....what feels right, you will know early on which one.

windnwater
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lyme Regis
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands, Putsborough Sands, Gwithian, Praa Sands, Watergate Bay
Style: Twintip
Gear: 141cm Cabrinha Tronic, 14m Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby windnwater » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks everyone for all of your advice and experience!!! I'm gonna try the SB and tronic next time we get some wind and think I'll go down that root.

Again, thank you all for your help and thoughts! :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”