Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Downlooping w/out chaod or stopper ball

Postby edt » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:42 pm

if it is blowing 35 knots I always set it up so when I release the bar it's out of reach, that way when I land hot and crash, there is a lot less chance I will bust up yet another kite if it tomahawks, also the crash is a lot less gnarly. Especially if you bail on a kiteloop.

It's absolutely no problem grabbing the bar. If the kite is pulling just get on a plane, ride 2 the kite so there's no pressure, and get the bar. Super easy. If it's not pulling hard enough to get on a plane, then you can pull it in by hand.

I crash a lot and always on a kite 2 sizes bigger than everyone else. I think if you ride waves, it makes me sense to set a stopper because you have so much less power in the kite and it's less likely to explode if you crash.

I'm with nykiter, I like to set the bar to have as much throw as possible, it's no big deal to grab the bar and it gives your kite so much more range.

But it's a personal preference, I don't think it makes sense to force a rider to ride with a short throw or long throw let people ride how they want.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:52 pm

edt - I'm confused, how are you relaunching a kite that you can't reach the bar in 35 knots?
My kites don't move to one side and relaunch themselves, I have to be able to touch the bar to do that.
Last edited by L0KI on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:30 pm

NYKiter wrote:My preference is to allow the kite as MUCH depower as possible in the unlikely event I cannot hit the quick release for whatever reason (I do practice that quite a bit). I still like knowing that the bar will travel 3 feet down the line in a major crash....I would imagine that some day the bar will destroy the pulley or even fold causing an even bigger problem (but the slingy pulley is pretty robust), but its the risk I take....just a calculated risk, one of the downsides is the convenience of downlooping easily. Thanks for the input. :bye:
do you only kite in hurricanes or something? or it sounds like you're just afraid of the kite

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:38 pm

I was under the impression that he was was an instructor, IKO I think.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:46 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:I was under the impression that he was was an instructor, IKO I think.
that's kind of scary, to be honest.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave

Postby NYKiter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:17 am

Its ok to be confused.
Its ok to be scared.

Have a great day!
:whogives:

duckman
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby duckman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:08 am

This whole thread scares me. Your bar is not correctly tuned for your arm length. If you have to climb the depower rope after letting go of the bar you either need to shorten that distance to the point where one end of the rope is maximum power and the other is almost 0 power. A stopper ball is fine but should be set up so that when the bar is "stopped" by it it has almost 0 power (unless of couse you want it powered). If this isnt possible with your present bar get one that does. The "hand to hand" solution to your problem is just crazy and may produce unintended kiteloops, F16s and line wraps. :o

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave

Postby NYKiter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:55 am

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:16 am

duckman wrote:This whole thread scares me. Your bar is not correctly tuned for your arm length. If you have to climb the depower rope after letting go of the bar you either need to shorten that distance to the point where one end of the rope is maximum power and the other is almost 0 power. A stopper ball is fine but should be set up so that when the bar is "stopped" by it it has almost 0 power (unless of couse you want it powered). If this isnt possible with your present bar get one that does. The "hand to hand" solution to your problem is just crazy and may produce unintended kiteloops, F16s and line wraps. :o
Cabrinha.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:49 am

I'm with duckman on this issue.

Return to “Kitesurfing”