Forum for kitesurfers
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: Boots on crazyfly raptor ???

Postby dyyylan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:41 pm

sijandy wrote:
dyyylan wrote:Can't answer that one, but it's always a risk on boards that are built for straps... they just aren't typically meant to handle the additional force that boots pull with when you bail. I'd guess that you'd be okay if you're not going big but I know it's something I'd always worry about haha.
Really? So what do they do with the inserts/construction for a wakestyle board thats different compared to a standard board? Or is it just an easy way to sell 2 boards instead of one? I tend to think the later.
No way. Construction is much more solid on wakestyle boards because they are designed to be ridden with boots. More reinforcement around the inserts, stiffer flex, and more rocker is the norm. Check out how many boards Youri went through when he switched to boots for the PKRA until Brunotti adjusted the reinforcement on the inserts, since he kept ripping them out.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:10 pm

dyyylan wrote:
sijandy wrote:
dyyylan wrote:Can't answer that one, but it's always a risk on boards that are built for straps... they just aren't typically meant to handle the additional force that boots pull with when you bail. I'd guess that you'd be okay if you're not going big but I know it's something I'd always worry about haha.
Really? So what do they do with the inserts/construction for a wakestyle board thats different compared to a standard board? Or is it just an easy way to sell 2 boards instead of one? I tend to think the later.
No way. Construction is much more solid on wakestyle boards because they are designed to be ridden with boots. More reinforcement around the inserts, stiffer flex, and more rocker is the norm. Check out how many boards Youri went through when he switched to boots for the PKRA until Brunotti adjusted the reinforcement on the inserts, since he kept ripping them out.
Ok, personally, of those things you mentioned, only the insert reinforcement would be relevent to using bindings i think. Flex and rocker should'nt be a factor (assuming average flex). Maybe i looked at it the wrong way round... so why not use the same inserts/reinforcement that they use for the wakestyle boards accross all boards to illiminate the problem? Ps - when you say construction is more solid/more insert reinforcements - how do you know this? Is it on their spec sheets? or is it just assumed? Sorry, im not questioning you i'm just interested. cheers.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:24 am

Shinn boards are all boots compatible I believe. The manufacturing process involved in getting the extra strength probably adds cost and weight, so most don't bother.

greenhat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Island, NJ
Favorite Beaches: Kite Island
Gear: Best Cabo, Ozone Reo, Slingshot Celeritas, Mystic Majestic
Brand Affiliation: Best, Cabrinha, Slingshot, Spleene, Mystic, Naish, HQ, Neil Pryde, Ocean Rodeo, Ozone.

Postby greenhat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:34 am

The Best Procreator and Profanity inserts are held in by beach wood, which is a denser material than most other boards use. These boards are designed to be durable enough to hold boots in even with some rough crashes. They recommend the Ronix boots, but i'm sure most boots would work. They also use an inline inserts to accommodate for different boots.

Its explained a little more thorough in this video.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:58 pm

fdvj wrote:Shinn boards are all boots compatible I believe. The manufacturing process involved in getting the extra strength probably adds cost and weight, so most don't bother.
Yeah it's always money related, otherwise it wouldn't be a successful business. Sometimes a standard fitting that can be used accross the whole range (like shinn you say) can save you more, but then you sell less boards cos the user doesn't need one for bindings and one for straps.

Ok so the vid answers my question. I always thought the inserts were set in a resin within the core as opposed to be directly fitted into the core itself which it suggests from the way the guy explains it in the vid. would like to see the construction.

greenhat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Island, NJ
Favorite Beaches: Kite Island
Gear: Best Cabo, Ozone Reo, Slingshot Celeritas, Mystic Majestic
Brand Affiliation: Best, Cabrinha, Slingshot, Spleene, Mystic, Naish, HQ, Neil Pryde, Ocean Rodeo, Ozone.

Postby greenhat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Check these pics out. might help.
Attachments
Profanity_cutaway.jpg
2014 Best Profanity construction
Pro-Creator_cutaway.jpg
2014 Best Pro-Creator construction

yehonatan_naim
Rare Poster

Postby yehonatan_naim » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:08 am

Hi ,
I guess the raptor pro will be OK with boots it has realy good construction for the inserts...
you can always ask the manufacters info@crazyflykites.com

any way if your are looking for board that design for boots try the CrazyFly Bulldozer or the CrazyFly Nuke !!

http://www.crazyflykites.com/cf2014/board.php?id=nuke

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Don't forget it's more than insert strength. Boots affect the flex characteristics of a board. You're screwing a large inflexible plate onto the board and increasing the leverage on the board from the boots.

yehonatan_naim
Rare Poster

Postby yehonatan_naim » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Thats the reason I recommend to ask the manufacture..

by the way the nuke and the bulldozer are design to use with boots it is written in CrazyFly website.
they have really strong consturction and reinforce with Kevlar :cool2:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:31 pm

[quote="sijandyOk, personally, of those things you mentioned, only the insert reinforcement would be relevent to using bindings i think. Flex and rocker should'nt be a factor (assuming average flex). [/quote]

Flex has a huge impact. In a stiffer board the stiff plate of the binding base is less likely to both torque out your inserts or beak the board at the edge of the plate. Flexy boards are just generally less compatible with the style of riding that being locked into boots promotes. With your feet locked in with the extra control that offers, a more constant and predictable rocker curve just feels better.

You dont have to believe it, but thats the way it is.

Will flexy boards "work" with bindings.... sort of, but its a miss match that cheats whover rides that set up of half the benefits to a propper boot set up.

Return to “Kitesurfing”