All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Red, Dundee or Monk
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:46 am 
Rare Poster

Hi all,
Looking at upgrading my 2011 135 Laluz to a Shinn and would like some feedback from you Shinn riders.
My riding style is Freeride with a bit of freestyle thrown in now and again but I love to boost big. Look forward to demo the Screamer!
Really like the Laluz for its smooth soft landings and pop. But in the chop I find it not to be so good, really excels in flat water. The rails in the centre are quite thick on this model. Seem to loose the edge when loading up for a jump in choppy conditions.
Where I ride is flat to choppy but no waves to carve up. Weight 90kg and need the shinn to be nice to my knees when in choppy conditions and bugger up a landing. Also good pop. 80% of the time blowing 15-20.
Will try to demo the Shinn's but I really don't think I will be disappointed if I buy blind.
I am leaning towards the Red or Dundee2 but have not read many reviews on the Red or Dundee2 compared to the Monk.
Will wait patiently :coffee:

:cheers:

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Red, Dundee or Monk
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:01 am 
Frequent Poster

Chop, smooth on the knees, freeride and big air = Monk :D I tried the Dundee too but not the Red. The Monk Forever is my all time favorite TT board.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:50 pm 
Medium Poster

+1 on the Monk Forever! Was also "Board of the year" several times...

It's a classic, like the mako (which I love even a tiny bit more :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:10 pm 
Medium Poster

Just try before buying...Monk must be the most pimping board on world. I tried it after reading several post in this forum and others it was disappointing. My board was the first Nobile fifty 2010 that kick in the ass any Shinn board, by the way, the most copy board by all major brands.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Interesting you say that, because Mark Shinn designed and brought to market the Nobile boards,
...did it for first five years of Nobile.
He announced in August of 2009 that he was moving on, about the time the 2010 Nobile boards came out.
I would make a really strong guess that the 2010 Nobile board line were Shinn designs.
The Shinn boards were/are the continuation of what he did at Nobile.
The Monk is a heavily pimped board because it is very, very good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:07 am 
Frequent Poster

COOP wrote:
Looking at upgrading my 2011 135 Laluz to a Shinn

The closest board to your Laluz is most definitely the ULTRASONIC.
It's very similar in terms of style, but with the shinn tech in there. Has huge rail grip, and similar feel, so it will be plug and play for you. That said, like the La luz it is not the best in severe chop, and the other end of this is that the Monk is probablyone of the best boards overpowered in heavy chop.

There is no such thing as 'the best' shinn board - just the best shinn board for you.. and in that it pays to do some research for they are all quite different in character.. from your perspective;

Ultrasonic - will be similar - very powerful and huge bite with good 'stamp pop'

Red - is like the laluz with more rocker and softer tips for a much smoother and more controlled, comfortable ride at higher speeds, higher loads

Turbo - is the new dundee and has bias more power than the red but better at carving and high energy riding that is not centred around freestyle as a focus.

Monk - is a really comfortable and stable platform for the worst conditions that will astound you at the level of control offered, but you'll find it bizarre in that you'll be able to take a lot more power and apply a lot more speed to your riding than you did before. You may really like this, or it may be too big a contrast for you, it's more a blunderbuss than a sniper rifle.. Monk is very different to the Ultrasonic by comparison.

ADHD - will be an even more aggressive version of the Monk, perhaps a bit less real world in terms of higher rocker, not quite as efficient or quick, but for carving bite, it's exceptional. You can hold a lot of power on that rail, but it's a very different board to the La Luz in every way.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:20 pm 
Rare Poster

That is really good info there MB.
Seems the Red is similar to the Laluz but out guns it in the rough, which is perfect!
With the Monk do you have to ride it flat out all the time or can you cruise as well to pull floaty tricks. Mix it up in other words....Flat out, load up for big air and then have a mellow play, then flat out again?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:55 pm 
Frequent Poster

COOP wrote:
That is really good info there MB.
Seems the Red is similar to the Laluz but out guns it in the rough, which is perfect!
With the Monk do you have to ride it flat out all the time or can you cruise as well to pull floaty tricks. Mix it up in other words....Flat out, load up for big air and then have a mellow play, then flat out again?

Red, yup, pretty much - I really like this board to be honest. Perhaps not as carvy as some due to the square outline, but locked on that rail is a very nice place to be. A big sweet spot, and good fun for jumping.

Monk.. in truth it's easy and fun to ride, and you can ride it half power, it's perfectly happy with a hungover, half asleep rider slumped over the bar, but if you give it some juice you get so much fun and stability back, that it tempts you to give it even more power and speed, so starts the vicious cycle... Before you know it you riding like your possessed by a lunatic. If you watch most people riding monks you'll notice a significant difference in board speed. It taunts you into making your sessions pretty full on, whereas most of the other shinn boards in the range reward good technique - by contrast the monk is the blunderbuss. The more gunpowder you shove in the end the more fun you have!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:32 pm 
Rare Poster

Red :cool2: Monk :angryfire:
Probably would be a good thing to have both..geez my missus would have my nuts. Come to think about she already has. Nothing to lose then :thumb:
Sounds like MB you can't help yourself but get on the Red when you get a chance?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

Actually - though I do ride and understand them well, having spent years on wakes and twins, these days I ride directionals mostly.. :-)
A wave or race board rider at the moment...

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next