All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Celeritas fin quiver?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:21 pm 
Rare Poster

I was lucky enough to find a 5'6" close out deal on a 2014 Celeritas which is now headed my way!

I plan to use this board as an all arounder as I learn to ride directional and strapless. I hope to get into the waves with it but that may take some time. So, for the time being this will be a sound side board and as such, should I look for a different set of fins for flat water riding vs. wave riding or just ride it the way it us until I break something?

Thx

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Celeritas fin quiver?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

don't worry about new fins. As long as it comes with something better than plastic you will probably never change em out. If they are plastic, swap em for some decent glass ones. Just get used to the board and have fun stretching your kiteboarding in a whole new direction.

Get on the new board whenever its light. Use it as your exclusive light to medium wind board and you will pick it all up quick. Ride a little flatter rather than edging like your tt and learn where to shift your weight to get it to ride nicely. Learn to jibe pretty early on, but it all really starts to click when you can tack quick and start to make upwind ground like you have never known on a tt.

Then its onto strapless airs and you will start to take it to the surf, but light air is where to start.

my advice is to not bother with straps, but thats just my opinion. I think they get in the way when learning the footwork and trim/balance of the board. On that size board you will probably have a pretty static spot for your front foot, but will find there is a range of spots for your back foot depending on how powered you are or what direction in relation to the wind your going.

Its also helpful to understand that in general you ride a surfboard with way less kite power, and are often just feathering the kite rather than running with the bar pulled into solid power all the time. You stand a little more upright, and are generally way less loaded than on a tt.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:25 pm 
Medium Poster

Starsky wrote:
my advice is to not bother with straps, but thats just my opinion.

dis right here :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:54 pm 
Medium Poster

Starsky wrote:
On that size board you will probably have a pretty static spot for your front foot, but will find there is a range of spots for your back foot depending on how powered you are or what direction in relation to the wind your going.

I ride a 5'8 2014 Celeritas most of the time. Definitely experiment with moving your front foot. If the water is not too choppy, then often times going upwind I have my front foot just off the front of the pad and my back foot between the two pads. This board already goes upwind really well, and if you move your feet forwards it goes upwind even better. It is most important to move the back foot for upwind, though. For making turns, I shift my feet back, with the front foot at the wide point of the board and the back foot jammed against the tail pad kicker. So get some surf wax and coat the spots without pads. It will help you learn to gybe, too.

Agree on not changing the fins. The fins on the Celeritas are good. I don't change them for ocean or riding in flatter water.

I definitely agree on not using straps. I learned to ride a surfboard with them and as soon as I took them off, I wished I had never put them on in the first place. With straps you will have a lot of extra crashes while you deal with the straps when gybing. Also, the Celeritas is a fast board. When I'm really moving on it and crash hard, I'm pretty happy to not have straps on...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:47 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks folks. I will stick with the stock fins and go strapless right out the gate!

Do you guys use a leash in light winds or is it just going to get in the way?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 pm 
Medium Poster

Do not use a leash. It is dangerous. Once you are an advanced rider, you may find that under certain circumstances you will need a leash. As a beginner, it is dangerous.

[ 6 posts ]