Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Potential safety issue with Epic Renegade kites

Forum for kitesurfers
KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Potential safety issue with Epic Renegade kites

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:17 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:
UKSurf wrote:Chinese culture is not a race so making a generalization about its values it is not racist.
I suggest you look up the meaning of words before you use them.
Most chinese people living in china acknowledge there is a serious problem with a "culture" of ripping people off and trying to make a fast buck.
People in China are Chinese, it's a race of people.
Here's the definition of racism quoted from Wikipedia:
"Racism is generally defined as actions, practices, or beliefs that consider the human species to be divided into races with shared traits, abilities, or qualities, such as personality, intellect, morality, or other cultural behavioral characteristics"....
You deny your racism, right while you're saying racist things. :lol:
The problem you are talking about is well known, but it exists in far more places than just China.
And your little story of how the big boys get "the good stuff" and the little guys just can't, is just an underhanded shot at Epic saying (you've done it a half dozen times in several threads) that they have no means to produce a quality product because they are not as large as whatever company you choose to think is getting the "the good stuff".
You've refused to demo the Epic product when invited multiple times.
Your theories sound pretty stupid when your point of reference is just in your head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWD8YI1Mqhs

Just ask someone who really knows if you want to find out what it is like in the land of China. :lol:

No matter what brand you fly, you can't deny that the Chinese make some awesome kites. :naughty:

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:46 pm

soul19 wrote:Hey UKsurf,

Have you ever tried a Epic kite? I am curious as to how you would find them as you seem to be a straight shooter and I would find your comments to be informative! I for one had avoided trying an Epic kite as I wasn't a fan of the Eclipse kites….I thought that it would be same crap different pile! A guy was selling a 3g 10m screamer for dirt cheap and I figured that the worse that would happen is that I would sell it off for what I paid for it (with getting to finally see if it was all hype)! My first impression was that this was nothing like the Eclipse kites that I had in the past and that it was quite good. Well I have put many sessions on this kite and I can say with all honesty that it is one of the best kites I have owned. I currently have Ozone C4 kites and I am hoping to shortly have a go on the Judge to see if I will be making the switch over. At the end of the day I want to ride the best gear for me and right now it is the C4 with the 10m screamer. I have high hopes that the Judge will be that good and when I finally demo this kite I will have an honest review to follow.

James
I like to try to be objective about things, even when I am trolling a bit :wink: I have yet to see an Epic kite let alone try one. I did actually try the Eclipse Thruster 10m a few times and quite liked it. I remember seeing "designed by Momi" written on it and googling him to see who he was. I am aware that they had some production problems towards the end but the Eclipse kite I used was very well put together - comparable to the Slingshot Fuels I was riding at the time. I am fairly sure I would probably think the Screamer was a good kite as well - from the same designer and also designed for boosting. I already have my kites for next season now but if there was a local demo I would certainly go along and give the kites a try (I am not sure I would go to the trouble of having to post them etc).

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:31 pm

UKSurf wrote:
I like to try to be objective about things, even when I am trolling a bit :wink: I have yet to see an Epic kite let alone try one. I did actually try the Eclipse Thruster 10m a few times and quite liked it. I remember seeing "designed by Momi" written on it and googling him to see who he was. I am aware that they had some production problems towards the end but the Eclipse kite I used was very well put together - comparable to the Slingshot Fuels I was riding at the time. I am fairly sure I would probably think the Screamer was a good kite as well - from the same designer and also designed for boosting. I already have my kites for next season now but if there was a local demo I would certainly go along and give the kites a try (I am not sure I would go to the trouble of having to post them etc).
I had both 2007 (first gen) and 2008 Thrusters. And if the first ones were absolute rubbish quality-wise (made in Sri-Lanka if I'm not mistaken), Eclipse moved their production to China for 2008 and these were bomber kites! I had zero issues, not even a pin-hole in 3 seasons of usage. Even the dreaded pull/pull trimmers worked like a charm on two bars that I had, despite the fact that according to mr.D and his dogs - you're supposed to replace these trimmers every 2-3 weeks due to normal wear and tear.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Hey UKsurf,

It would be interesting to see your take on the kites if you ever get a chance to demo! Like I said I was actually quite impressed and glad that I picked up that screamer 10m. I wasn't thinking that I would be posting anything up either but it was refreshing to actually ride such a nice kite (not that other kites aren't good but this one felt like it was designed with my input....sounds a bit corny but it is how I felt). I haven't tried anything else as I own the only Epic kite in the area! Your a little far away for a go on mine :D but we are still part of the commonwealth! Out of curiosity what kites are you currently riding?

James

Alex I am sure if you used your board to control your speeds that you wouldn't need to play with your trim straps as much! I rarely ever touch mine and I am far from great! I do have an extensive history of various board sports so board control is natural for me! It's a shame that you feel this much angst towards Epic as the correspondence I have had with you, you always seemed quite civil. Maybe it's time to just walk away and allow cooler heads to prevail! I seen that you have posted else where that you have good things to say about core kites and it would be nice to see you contribute more inlines with that! At the end of the day brother it is just trivial complaints to such a great sport/lifestyle that we have the privilege to participate in! Take care man!!

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
little current
westbay

Postby soul19 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Hey Alex,

I missed your last post to me and I have read that review on Epic kites! Looks like the kites he has come in contact with had some issues. All that I can speak on for the quality of these kites are in the one that I own! It is well built and I am very impressed with the overall package. Comparing it to the other kites that I have it is built thy best. My ozone kites seem very flimsy compared to the screamer and they also lack the low end as well. The c4 needs a lot of wind to get going where the screamer 10m has a better range! I find that the C4 also has some flutter in the canopy while the screamer is rock solid! I like the ozone bar better than the epic black bar and the inflation system is superior as well. The C4 kites are definitely smoother but the screamer isn't to far behind! I would really like to compare it to the judge but I am sounding like a broken record repeating that over and over! In all honesty I think that you are pulling at straws to find anything to throw at Dimitri! I know you feel discouraged but I just can't see where you are taking this? Enjoy whatever kites you choose to ride and if I ever meet you than the first beer is on me :thumb:

James

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:36 pm

alexeyga wrote:Even the dreaded pull/pull trimmers worked like a charm on two bars that I had, despite the fact that according to mr.D and his dogs - you're supposed to replace these trimmers every 2-3 weeks due to normal wear and tear.
I honestly dont know what to make of your claims about Epic kites and their build quality - Because they are made in the same factory using the same materials as Blade just based on common sense I cannot believe that they are "Bad" quality kites. I honestly think that these issues some people are having are to do with people at the factory substituting materials on a batch or something rather than Epic putting out an inferior product, BUT I dont want to upset OB again so I wont discuss that anymore :wink:
soul19 wrote: Out of curiosity what kites are you currently riding?
I currently ride North Rebels. Most of my riding these days are hooked jumps / kiteloops and strapless surfboard riding.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
little current
westbay

Postby soul19 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:48 pm

Rebels are nice kites and one of my good riding buddies loves them! I like to tease him that only girls ride rebels to bust his balls but they truly are a very nice kite! Just don't tell him that I said that! He went from Vegas kites to the rebels as they suit his riding style better! I switched to the C4s as I prefer 4 lines and the inflation system is nicer!

James

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:13 pm

soul19 wrote: Alex I am sure if you used your board to control your speeds that you wouldn't need to play with your trim straps as much! I rarely ever touch mine and I am far from great! I do have an extensive history of various board sports so board control is natural for me! It's a shame that you feel this much angst towards Epic as the correspondence I have had with you, you always seemed quite civil. Maybe it's time to just walk away and allow cooler heads to prevail! I seen that you have posted else where that you have good things to say about core kites and it would be nice to see you contribute more inlines with that! At the end of the day brother it is just trivial complaints to such a great sport/lifestyle that we have the privilege to participate in! Take care man!!
James, trust me - I know how to edge with my board, but given that a day with 10knts gusts is a good day around where we live (i doubt it's much different in Ontario) - I also know that a working trimmer is a must-have on all my bars. I really don't see a reason to fight with the kite in gusts if I can simply adjust both the kite and bar's sweet-spot position to the current conditions. I'm not saying that my way is the only right way. But a trimmer that is supposed to be replaced on a weekly basis due to "wear and tear"? Come on!!!

B.t.w. I've ditched C4-s as from 2011 and on Ozone has been working really hard on turning it into RPM and they kinda succeeded, on 2011-s bar pressure was already considerable and it increased even further for 2012...((( 2011 12m is still my favorite C4 ever, should've kept that one!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:44 pm

Agreed agreed agreed!! Hey you are starting to make some sense! Yes indeed I have said for a while now (and been virtually gang banged on my local forum) they should have developed the 2011 C4 into a kick ass freestyle wave kite, aka torch/park...Vegas/dice and kept pursuing also the C4 of today for hardcore c riders. Instead they got a cat and stuck C wings on it...

My brother still has the 2011 C4, smokes the new cat.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:07 pm

alexeyga wrote:
UKSurf wrote:
I had both 2007 (first gen) and 2008 Thrusters. And if the first ones were absolute rubbish quality-wise (made in Sri-Lanka if I'm not mistaken), Eclipse moved their production to China for 2008 and these were bomber kites! I had zero issues, not even a pin-hole in 3 seasons of usage. Even the dreaded pull/pull trimmers worked like a charm on two bars that I had, despite the fact that according to mr.D and his dogs - you're supposed to replace these trimmers every 2-3 weeks due to normal wear and tear.
I have a quiver of Thrusters. They are well made but a 12m is really closer to the size of a 10m. The wind range of the kites is narrow. The bar is quite durable but the CL release caused too many unintentional releases. I upgraded the CL on one of the bars and may take them out again this spring, but I'm not sure if they will do anything better than my Rebels. They are fun to fly but with constantly changing conditions I need more grunt at the low end. Is anybody still riding with Thrusters? I think I've seen one or two in the last 3 years.

Return to “Kitesurfing”