All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: RRD Obsession 12m tuning
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:22 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi,

I have a RRD Obsession 12m 2014 and the same model 9m 2012. Obviously the 9m turns faster than the 12m. But I found my 12m is really slow, too slow for what it should be.

What kind of tuning can I do so make it turn faster (more knots, change this or that on the kite ?) ?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: RRD Obsession 12m tuning
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:46 pm 
Medium Poster

The 2012 Obsession is a faster kite than the 2014.

You can change the bar end settings to make the bar wider which speeds the kite up in turning speed, thats about all you can do. I found that putting the central line attachment on the knott furthest from the bar (just above the depower camcleat) makes the kite turn a bit faster. Also the pigtail attachements at the kite - set these on the ones nearest the kite (most power setting) helps a little. 2011 and 2012 were really fast kites, 2013 onwards they slowed the obsession and put a lot more float in the jumping.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:40 pm 
Rare Poster

So that was just not an impression. The 2014 is slower.
Do you think it's due to the new shape, I found the trailing edge to be for straight, less like a bat ?

Thanks for the tips.
I'll try that during my next session!

Also on the same topic, I was wondering of what I can do to jump higher with the 12m 2014. I jump long but not high. With the 9m, I jump higher.

What am I doing wrong ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:51 pm 
Medium Poster

The 2013 & 2014 are longer in profile and are a bit more like the older "hypertype" for jumping, great for floaty jumps.

For your 12m get it low and really powered and send it really hard just past "12 o'clock" should get you up there well in 20+mph. The Obsessions are outstanding jumping kites I think. I have a 9m 2013 and it could easily match a 9m Ozone Edge or Epic screamer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:51 am 
Rare Poster

I see your point. I was kind of afraid to put the 12m under 10o'clock to jump. In most of the tutorials, they say to put it at 60 degrees, which is quite high.

For example, with the 9m, I'm more at 10 o'clock degrees, and when I play with my little 3m foil kite (flexifoil sting), I put it at 9o'clock, the lines are almost parallel to the ground. And yes, I can jump with this tiny thing.

Thanks for your advice, I'll try to put it as low as you say next time. It should work better then.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:36 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi YimYom,

yes get the kite right down near the water and stacked with power then throw it really hard and fast above you. The Obsession needs to be ridden hard and fast to get the best out of it, it is not like ozones where you can pretty much just pull the bar in to jump. Throw the obsession around like an older "C" kite.

[ 6 posts ]