All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: st vincent and bequia
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:52 am 
Medium Poster

anyone been kitesurfing out there in may?

trade wind is easterley but most kite spots seem to be on west coast?

so i'm asuming its all offshore conditions?

cant find any schools or info about the area.

any info would be appreciated

thanks in advance.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: st vincent and bequia
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:01 pm 
Medium Poster

hey,

St Vincent - kite spot at Blue Lagoon, average spot.

http://www.caribbeankitesurf.com

safe kiting :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

sent a more detailed PM. with hotels etc in the area.
Blue lagoon is ok, but the better spots are islands south. can get some nice waves on the right day at blue lagoon. some of the east coast beachies are better ifs its not too onshore. a great coast to explore can turn on real nice on its day!
I forgot to mention bequia in my mail... we have tried kiting most of the spots around bequia, Industry bay was one of the best we found, but sketchy launch amongst trees then out over fin deep reef to get to a pretty gusty spot.
Spring bay is similar. friendship bay looks kinda inviting but real gusty to the point of kites falling out of the sky then powering up halfway through.
need more info let me know.
Ben
new website on the make.. check it out.. http://web.mac.com/caribbeankitesurfari ... lcome.html

Last edited by islandstylen on Sat May 10, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

oh yeah, the trades are easterly but the spots on the island of st vincent are NOT on the west side, the island is very steep and high so what wind does get to the west side is very gusty and crap. wouldnt even bother trying.
the south coast where blue lagoon is low land so not so gusty, best on a south east.
soufriere volcano is coool hike you have a spare day and theres no wind.
we had some great wind last may down in the grenadines

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:13 pm 
Rare Poster

Industry bay is the best spot on Bequia.The launch is tight, you then have the bay to yourself.About 500m out you get a reef that creates some nice waves.Outside the reef you get the swell.Downwind is Spring bay but you are better off in Industry where there is a quiet bar.There is definately no rescue cover if things go bad..I was on 13m and 9m Revs at the end of March/start of April.One other beach is Hope bay but it is very remote with strong currents and big shore break at times.This is where you get the best waves but be confident in your abilities as it very remote.Not sure about the wind at this time of the year though.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I was over there in late May last year. The trades were on and off, mainly off. Some years can be better than others during the transition from winter/spring to summer trade patterns I understand.

Industry Bay is a couple of mile stroll from the lee harbor of Port Elizabeth. There are a couple of nice wrecks around the harbor mouth worth diving on btw.

The launches can be tight, rock rimmed and if the trades trend north or south of east I would expect wind shadow and gusting winds with lulls. There can be some nice swells there with rock to go with however.

Regarding kiting off the lee side of high islands with offshore winds? The call on that is easy, don't do it. Way too much work, kites in the water, yarded kiters and getting blown off island. Reminds me of kiting during root canal surgery, all things in their place. Kite off the windward side, that is if suitable launches exist.

Bequia just made Photo of the Day, more images

HERE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:45 am 
Rare Poster

Hi I wanted to revive this post on Bequia.because I will be going down to visit family over christmas this year. I know the island well and have spent lots of time there in years past. Any other kiters there or been there? I have never kited there. I plan to bring my gear and would appreciate any info on spots. Industry bay looks good. Hope Bay looks to be a great wave spot but is a hike and isolated. I will be staying on Friendship Bay and would love to kite there but in the old days when I windsurfed there it seemed very gusty and I worry about kites falling out of the sky. Lower Bay seems off shore and gusty. Perhaps the airport beach or La Pomp would work. A trip on the ferry to Union Island would also be a must do. Kiting behind newlands reef at the kite center looks great on their web site.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:44 am 
Rare Poster

I was there in June 2003. Not much wind :
http://xtremebigair.com/Xtreme-Big-Air- ... StVincent/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:30 am 
Rare Poster

Friendship is gusty and you would be better going up to Industry. If you are alone you will have to self launch taking the kite out into the water using a tether on one of the trees ( I launch down wind of the bar ). Spring is a bit more sheltered but easier to launch from. Up past Industry you have Park which would be best but you go straight out onto the reef rocks. I have not kitted from this beach because of the rocks although the beach is sandy. Watch out for the reef. and hope the wind blows for you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:47 am 
Rare Poster

Thanks Bonzo. Sounds like you know the island well. Good advice. Yeah, Industry and Spring look like the best and safest spots. I will be self launching so the trees will be my friends. I will bring my rope and shackle to tether. Sounds like a self landing in the water will be needed as well. Rocks at Park do seem very close. If I get adventurous and convince some one to come with me I may try Hope Bay, but not alone. I am pretty sure I will be there around christmas and will try to give a report when I return.

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next