Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How much do kites cost to manufacture?

forum for kitesurfers

Mike27
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How much do kites cost to manufacture?

Postby Mike27 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm

8m reo 2012 without bar : 68 euros !

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:20 am

There are many costs that come with a kite. indeed PR, graphic designer, shape designer, previous samples and testmodels, shipping from factory. Material costs some brands buy in advance in bulk, labor costs. All and all there is a lot of time and money going in there before the kite is even sold from HQ.

UKSurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Slingshot Rally

Postby UKSurf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:11 am

If it really only costs $200-300 to manufacture I am surprised someone has not started to try to produce copies of existing popular kite models. I dont know how easy it is to "patent" a kite design layout or how easy it would be to modify a design slightly so that it wouldnt be an exact copy but still have the same characteristics.
Last edited by UKSurf on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

hightimes
Frequent Poster

Postby hightimes » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:22 am

Id say we're being screwed big time.
A wakeboard is about $300 and a kiteboard $800
Basically the same shit.
Bindings same story as with anything kite related.
In Europe its in friggin euros and in GB in pounds.
Thats one sign.

A piece of cloth with a condom inside can never be $1500
You can buy a sea doo or a motorcylce or even a car for the price of three kites.

We all feel screwed when we shell out the cash and then hope that this years kite is better then last years.
A lot of the times it's not cause they had to f*** with it again to sell you another.

But who cares we still buy it and rave about how great this years gear is because you're stuck
with it for another year.

But when you do go out and have that monster session with a cold beer afterwards it's all good.

That's when the gear is priceless hehehehehe.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:41 am

UKSurf wrote:If it really only costs $200-300 to manufacture I am surprised someone has not started to try to produce copies of existing popular kite models. I dont know how easy it is to "patent" a kite design layout or how easy it would be to modify a design slightly so that it wouldnt be an exact copy but still have the same characteristics.
If you look at all the components in a kite . . . I was doing this because I am interested in sewing up some prototypes of kites I want to make, $20 for a pulley, high quality stainless steel o-rings are $3, teijin technoforce fabric is $25 per meter squared (fabric alone will cost me $300 to make a 12 meter kite) dacron is $20 a meter, a meter polyurethane sheets (unwelded) is about $15 per meter valves are about a $1 per, tubing is 10 cents a foot, anyway, I added it all up and the kite alone is about $800 for me to build a 12 meter, and another $200 for the bar with a labor cost of zero. The only way they can make a kite for between $100 and $300 is if they are buying their raw materials at 10 cents on the dollar, teijin technoforce at $2.50 per square meter stuff like that. I don't know how it is possible. Everyone complains about the high cost of kites, but nobody wants to build their own.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:08 am

I suppose it would be easy for us to think we are getting ripped off.

Truth is, my thoughts (and they are only thoughts) is that like any product going from design, R and D (and I will put in marketting here for the sake of it) to manufacturer, to distribution and retail there is a mark up in cost. These mark ups I feel would not be any different in magnitude to any other product in this arena (let's say mountain bikes for example), especially in what is a relatively small market compared to say a staple item like toothpaste!

I know that on it's own is tediously obvious, but then add in open market influences.

Any company would love to have economies of scale and a price edge to capture more of the market.

It's not like Airush, North, Cabrinha, ozone, Naish (for example), sit around at a global secretive summit and set benchmark prices that all must follow! They are not oil companies..lol.

It's essentially a free market and the price they put on kites reflects a return to be profitable and stay in business.

Cheaper kite brands just have less overheads.

Of course some kite brands are more elastic than others due to an historical presence that have created loyal customers, hence their prices can be set to direct a higher margin.

But ultimately if a company can get a kite in the hands of a customer at the best price possible they will...or their competitors will drive them to the wall.

What some of you may fail to recognise, we were paying near 2K for kites in the early 2000's.

Given inflation etc etc...kites have never been so cheap.

I think we like to think there is a big brother controlling such things, but that is slightly nuerotic in my mind.

darippah
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Nj
Style: Freestyle, Strapless waves

Postby darippah » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:38 am

they cost what I try to pay for Used. about $250-$350 ............ what do I know... I'd have to guess that retailers pay around $600 - if it was less I'd start my own site just for the occasional sale :naughty:

el_guestos
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Kite School in Tarifa

Postby el_guestos » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:33 am

Looking at models like Switch, there's obviously a lot of money in the supply chain. I've asked several high up reps at various kite companies about this and none of them are concerned or considering changing their model as online sales still account for only a fraction of total sales, people still prefer to buy high cost items like kites from a person rather than a web site.

Of course he fact that Switch's new website still looks overloaded may be putting this theory to the sword.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:47 am

el_guestos wrote:Looking at models like Switch, there's obviously a lot of money in the supply chain. I've asked several high up reps at various kite companies about this and none of them are concerned or considering changing their model as online sales still account for only a fraction of total sales, people still prefer to buy high cost items like kites from a person rather than a web site.

Of course he fact that Switch's new website still looks overloaded may be putting this theory to the sword.
Yeah that interests me too... people here are locked into the local market because - they don't speak English so can't be bothered with working through web pages and basically don't trust the dirty gaijins. Thus, they pay full price (less 10% club discount :lol: ) on gear that is already at an inflated price eg. Naish Digits - US$150 or Y28,000 which is US$280 these days :o wetsuits cost upwards of $700, boards start at $1,000... 3 year old model? Sure, we'll give you $100 off RRP :o

nikolaygadzhev77
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008

Postby nikolaygadzhev77 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Just don't buy every year kites I use my till they are RIP :( :( I use to buy them every year spendig thousands,no more drama in my kiting life just joy :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:
I just got from ebay Naish bar 2014 for 180 eur is a brand new happy days baby

Return to “Kitesurfing”