All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Few riders complaining about the judging at Maui KSP?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:20 am 
Very Frequent Poster

longwhitecloud wrote:
"The CEO was pleased to report that ISAF has appointed 21 Marketing to develop strategies to ensure the long term financial health of ISAF by identifying opportunities to increase the value for global partners, and to provide additional value to prospective partners.

A constructive meeting had been held with the IOC regarding the future Olympic Games Program and the possibility to add event(s) for Kiteboarding. The proposed format for Kiteboarding should be carefully studied to ensure it would add what the IOC calls ‘urban sport feel’ to the Olympic Program."

Kiteboarding = give urban sport feel so we call Kiteboarding sailing therefore ISAF can market Urban sport feel = exposure = advertising = revenue

??????

Urban means that it is a city thing, done in a city. In Rio that would have been the case as it would have happened in the city. It seems like a stupid thing to say though that they want Kitesurfing to have an urban feel to it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:22 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I think they got the term from "urban sports" used like extreme sports, action sports. Where I live aint urban but Rio for sure is! Bizzare...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:50 pm 
Rare Poster

i am not profficient in english but in latin languages urban does mean relative to cities but also civil, agreable ,amiable.Maybe that is the meaning they tried to use.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:30 pm 
Frequent Poster

They're looking at the success of 'new' sports like snowboard and bmx racing. These have had really big impacts in the winter and summer Olympics. Mass start kitesurf racing is very similar to any other racing format. Ther's nothing new to that. However, I hate 'judged' sports and think that first over the line in some form is usually better as a competition format. Something with fewer riders in heats with the ability to take a short cut or two with the right skill and conditions would be better. It might even give the right 'urban' feel they're after...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:24 am 
Medium Poster

Back to the original question, I do feel the result was strongly biased.
KSP has only two events this year. Cabrinha is the major sponsor for this Maui event. It is after all a commercial event and Cabrinha certainly like see some real benefit this time if they want to continue sponsoring any events in the future.

Just my 2 cents. Jan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:09 am 
Very Frequent Poster

same two won the Maui Event last year and Cabrinha was NOT the title sponsor
steve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:13 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Madison, Wi. Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, Mystic, NP Surf.
It could be that Cabrinha saw that they had one of the strongest line-ups to grab the podium and then decided to sponsor. Who knows. Always different ways to look at things. but as someone already said, if there's not controversy with any judged event, then something is wrong.

Great riding and I want to know how they got to ride Hookipa. I thought it was w-surfers only for the most part. Was is just for the event?

Love the wave riding videos.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yes, just for the event.
Like Back then the original King of the Air.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:33 pm 
Frequent Poster

As long as there are judges, there will be complainers.

These are the facts:
1/ Cabrinha sponsored the event (i.e. they did not run the event)
2/ Judges were KSP judges and not secret Cabrinha agents hired to undermine the judging system
3/ Cabrinha had two ripping male athletes that had to face each other in the semifinals and one was eliminated (that doesn't sound like a set up to me)
4/ goofy foot riders didn't advance like they would have at one eye since Hookipa is a right hander and regular footers just have the advantage
5/ This year's Maui champions won last year when Cabrinha didn't sponsor the event.

Maybe the complaints are not about the outright winners, but about other competitors??

The KSP could use a few more events so there is a world tour, but the judging seemed fair to me. I saw most of the heats for the mens and womens and wave selection played a very important role. Some killer athletes did a poor job of picking good waves and this is a death nail in a surfing contest.

Just so there is no confusion, I work 100% directly for Cabrinha (and I did not bribe any of the judges)

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2