All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to solve problems the Hawaiian way...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:01 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

This incident happened a decade ago. Pathetic or horrific or whatever, its one in a trillion such incidents in human history. To rehash it simply for the sake of conversation with no tangible action or intent toward improvement does little more than glorify it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

USA? in name only....
If you dont like it you go back to the mainland...

:cool2:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:39 pm 
Frequent Poster

jrfiol wrote:
balugh wrote:
Tough guy reps are very difficult to shake....

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... sault.html

Kaia Alexander is now mid 40's.....and he'd be unique if he's still the biggest toughest dude on the beach. If nothing else some ambitious youngster in his 'family' will come along. Thus he is looking for a quieter life.... :bye:

But these guys are not, I think, unique as there are similar tribes in California and Australia (probably elsewhere too) that claim spots and set up their own rules. I'm with matth in preferring a bit of wind to help getaway from the crowd.

There is a long history of displacement and abuse to Hawaiians... The kid has no idea that he is being super disrepectful. It might not make sense to everybody, but he got off easy.

I have never been to hawaii, never will go. But it is super hard for me to think that there are no other spots for surfing than pipe.

I advocate peace, but first justice.

I have a lot of empathy for people that get displaced but I also have great difficulty seeing how beating some cocky kid up and breaking his surf board is, in anyway, going to engender 'respect'. It does, in fact, perpetuate the opposite. I'm sad for both of them in the original post...and have even less 'respect' for the people who stood around filming it and laughing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The person I would have liked to have seen interviewed would be the local police chief.

If he thought he shouldn't have arrested and charged the assailant, then I would like to have heard his reasoning.

Same thing with the police today, I would like to hear the current police stance on the type of violence we saw on the beach.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

and then they ask why so much school, campus or movie theater shooting.

suppose he had a couple of MAC-10 sub-machine guns in the trunk of his car near by and then he had a 15 minutes beach shooting spree.
what would be his chances to walk out of the court house free man after the jury watched this vid?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

eree wrote:
and then they ask why so much school, campus or movie theater shooting.

suppose he had a couple of MAC-10 sub-machine guns in the trunk of his car near by and then he had a 15 minutes beach shooting spree.
what would be his chances to walk out of the court house free man after the jury watched this vid?

If I was on that jury I would have fully supported him. Fuck localism, you don't own the beach or the waves.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:19 pm 
Frequent Poster

I go to the beach to escape from this bullshit. The last thing I need is to fight over a freakin wave.
I have bigger battles to deal with in my life. Like I said before there is something to be said for the non summer months here in the North East. It may be cold. BUT THE BEACHES ARE EMPTY!!!
I would rather wear a dry suit than deal with gangbanger beach thugs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:27 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I was a haole in Hawaii ... I was the minority...
you go see for yourself how that other shoe fits for a while...you betcha...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:41 pm 
Frequent Poster

balugh wrote:
jrfiol wrote:
balugh wrote:
Tough guy reps are very difficult to shake....

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... sault.html

Kaia Alexander is now mid 40's.....and he'd be unique if he's still the biggest toughest dude on the beach. If nothing else some ambitious youngster in his 'family' will come along. Thus he is looking for a quieter life.... :bye:

But these guys are not, I think, unique as there are similar tribes in California and Australia (probably elsewhere too) that claim spots and set up their own rules. I'm with matth in preferring a bit of wind to help getaway from the crowd.

There is a long history of displacement and abuse to Hawaiians... The kid has no idea that he is being super disrepectful. It might not make sense to everybody, but he got off easy.

I have never been to hawaii, never will go. But it is super hard for me to think that there are no other spots for surfing than pipe.

I advocate peace, but first justice.

I have a lot of empathy for people that get displaced but I also have great difficulty seeing how beating some cocky kid up and breaking his surf board is, in anyway, going to engender 'respect'. It does, in fact, perpetuate the opposite. I'm sad for both of them in the original post...and have even less 'respect' for the people who stood around filming it and laughing.

I agree there is no respect to be gained from such actions,

Kindest regards,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:57 pm 
Medium Poster

NYKiter wrote:
Hawaiians have taken so much crap from all the brazil, cali and aussi douche bag surfers over the years its no wonder they get pissed off...I lived there for many years. Its really easy - show that you respect them, give them priority and they respect you. Act like a douche - get treated like one....thats island style... :hangloose: :hangloose: :hangloose: :hangloose: :hangloose: :hangloose:

Bull SH!T

I grew up surfing in Hawaii. I've posted this before here, but I was 10 years old and I got yelled at by 20+ year old dudes. I never even said Sh!t to deserve it. They would just try to scare us to not come out. It didn't work.

1. This shit makes me sick
2. For every arrogant surfer that picks up a kite, our sport deteriorates.
3. Mark my words, this shit will creep into our sport. Don't let it.

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next