Local Beach: West Oz
Favorite Beaches: West Oz
Style: Waves & Surf freestyle
Gear: Oceanlines Surfboards
Switchkites 4,5,6,7,8,9,12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Are Switch kites getting any better?

Postby kitesrfr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:45 am

Hi kiters. Recently got couple of element 6 and thought I'd write a review thinking it maybe useful as I was also looking for feedback prior getting them :P

About me: Height: 5’7” | Weight: 64kgs | Style: Strapless surfboard 5”0 x 19 7/8 x 2… wave riding/surf freestyle

Currently owns both Element5 (5,7 & 8m) and Element6 (4,5,6 & 7m). At the moment, my son uses the Element5 and I use the Element6.

Overall 5/5 Stars: Switch delivered another great product, surpassing the previous similar range. I am very excited and greatly satisfied with Element6. Highly recommend the E6 in sizes I tried.

Performance: WOW! The E6 is a significant design change and feels completely different to the E5. It’s incredible how much fun it is to fly. I just love it.

Comparing the new E6 to the E5, I can say the E6 is more stable and offers better boost/lift when jumping. I tested all kites beyond their wind range in gusty but also constant winds and I was impressed with the new Element6 for its stability and drift capability. To be honest, super stoked.

Wave riding performance sees an improvement against the E5, making it much more enjoyable to ride but also allows the rider to forget about the kite while riding the wave.

Turning speed for similar sizes feels marginally slower than the E5 – but this can be adjusted via the several settings available both on the kite and lines. In all honesty, I think the overall design and considerations into making this kite offers the best one can wish for.

Build: I am totally blinded by the vibrant bright orange and green/yellow colours. The E6 stands out of the crowds - they are beautiful to see.

The construction follows Switch good reputation and uses the best & most robust material in the industry. Comparing this model to the competition – I personally find the Switch better constructed. I never had any issues and safe to say I am an extensive user (waves and many hours of riding). I am not seeing any issues coming on that side to be honest but thought I would mention it.

The 4 and 5m are a single strut and the 6m and 7m are on 5 struts. I am not sure why this is and to be honest thought about it for a while trying to understand the engineering behind it. I stop worrying about it as both the 1 and 5 struts actually work perfectly.

Bar: I have the shortest one and it is very simple, super light and convenient.  The depower line to chicken loop sees a plastic tube protecting the line which will increase the lifespan of your line/bar – this appears to be standard OEM now and glad Switch adopted similar design.

Why a 4, 5, 6 and 7 (you might ask)

It is not required but it is a great combo if you want to get technical!

We are blessed by strong 35+ knots winds several times per year where we live. Being small and lightweight riding a surfboard, 5 meters kite is often too much as I hit the limit. For the last few years, I hoped to get a 4m for those reasons. Had the opportunity to try the 4m couple of times already and it is a very exciting kite. I am looking forward to get on the Foil and use the 4m…
Love each one but if I had to pick 2 – the 5m and 6m are my preferred ones – they are quick. (probably says a lot about the wind range I prefer ;-)

What I experienced, as a guide – know there might be some refining on the thresholds
7m: is my light wind kite – used it in 14knots – 19knots
6m: is my new 7m – used it in 18knots to – 25knots
5m: is 22 knots – 30knots
4m: 28m - ++ brown pants knots

Hope you find this review helpful – you’ll see me ridding these wave machines for a while now…

Cheers!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1516595576869.jpg
Using the element 6 6m
FB_IMG_1516595576869.jpg (54.18 KiB) Viewed 4326 times

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 am

I swapped my Legacy V2 12 meters kite with a local guy (Nico)'s new Element V6 12 meters kite for about 30 minutes.
I had about 50mm pulled on his depower.
Compared with a nitro or legacy: More low down power.
Boosting: Very easy to go insanely high, like the Nitro but with a bit more air time. Felt like it needed a more committed steer in the air but was putting a big smile on my face.
I tried full depower to see how it handled: Seemed to me that I could steer it fine at full depower without the kite wanting to instantly power up. This is critical for realising the full range of a kite, I'd say it's the return of pulleys to Switch kite bridles which is making the E6 steer well under high depower.
Nice kite, a jumping machine.!
The local guy liked the Legacy too, it's stability especially.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:38 pm

Its pretty easy to be totally stoked on a new kite in its 1st few flights. All crispy and shiny & something different than what you were flying before. I was like that with a few different kites in the past & then you start to notice the nuanced things you don't like. Maybe there's an incident that - you didn't realize this kite would do this in such a circumstance....or you wish it had better performance in these situations.

I haven't experienced anything like those secondary thoughts with my E-6's. It is really multidimensional. It performs so well in such a variety of ways I honestly don't think there's another kite I'd want to look at. It really doesn't matter that its a less expensive kite. Its the performance I am loving. Each subsequent flight has left me more impressed.

I know this sounds all fanboy but I honestly don't want anything different or feel like there is something lacking in what I hope to get out of my kites. I don't foil (yet) so I have no idea if they are great for foiling. I haven't ridden mine in surf yet but feel I have a real sense of how they will perform. Riding in snow, going toeside downhill, carving & playing in ways that mimic riding strapless on water I feel this kite will do those performance things I want whenever I get the chance. The additional boosting performance, looping performance, & hang-time performance make this kite a true high performance kite.

Initially I was spooked by the 6-pulley thing. I almost didn't try 1 because I'd been convinced years ago that pulleys=mushy performance & responsiveness. Totally not the case.

Try 1 - I can't imagine you'd be sorry

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi all,

For those who tried the Element 6, could you tell which kites of other brands are similar in terms of performance and flying characteristics?

Regards!

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:33 pm

GTC wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:36 pm
Hi all,

For those who tried the Element 6, could you tell which kites of other brands are similar in terms of performance and flying characteristics?

Regards!
Reminded me a bit of an Evo, and a bit like a Bandit, though less aggressive.

felixp
Frequent Poster
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Switch, Firewire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby felixp » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:26 am

A closer look into the Element6

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:01 pm

TOP HAT !!!!

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Anyone having issues trying to order from the website lately? I wanna give them my money and order “pop-ups” lockup after the address info. Usually I only ever have issues when returning stuff............

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:30 pm

They remind me a lot of Slingshot Rally's - only better.
Anyone having issues trying to order from the website lately? I wanna give them my money and order “pop-ups” lockup after the address info. Usually I only ever have issues when returning stuff............
I've had trouble in the past. If you contact them they will get right after it whether their online chat or via email. Great customer service

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:00 pm

lewmt wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:30 pm
They remind me a lot of Slingshot Rally's - only better.
I've had trouble in the past. If you contact them they will get right after it whether their online chat or via email. Great customer service

Have you tried using a different browser? Google Chrome is a quick download.

Return to “Kitesurfing”