Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Are Switch kites getting any better?

Postby topmick » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:09 am

@mr_daruman, thanks for your post - sounds to me like your still missing your old E5,s lol.

Keep us posted, especially if you get some decent conditions to test the drift & compare to E5.

Switch kites by design are def getting better but so are all other brands, it's the price/customer service & warranty that is creating the following imo.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 am

Isn't drift about lightness and balance and keeping lift at low speed?
Sounds like the E6 has lighter fabric and maybe they have the CoG back a bit to stop it nose diving? I think jumping is about an efficient airfoil that can keep it's shape under a shock loading.
Probably the biggest conflict between the two will be the different speed requirements. To jump high you also need a lot of speed to redirect carving up wind and a thin airfoil is more efficient at higher speeds. A fat airfoil is perfect for drifting but will max out power at a lower speed.
So maybe it's a middle of the road kite. Easy handling, learning kite. Slow rise on a jump because of a fat airfoil and great hang time for the same reason. Next time I'm injured from falling from high up I'll remember the Element 6 and it's comfort appeal. Meanwhile I got a Nitro v6 9m toy on the last day of the recent specials and can't wait to feel that SNAP! of lift :-)

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Got an Element6 9m in the mail today to test. Not planning to keep it, because I don't think it suits my needs. But who knows, maybe I'll be stoked after riding it.

First impressions are good. It's the Switch quality as we know it. Canopy material is the same as previous models, and there's still a heavier grade in the TE, though there's a tiny bit more dacron too now. Not sure exactly why, because the TE of my V3's are still perfect, but I guess it's to compensate a bit for the lesser stabilizers (the triangular pieces)

Strut construction has changed back to the single seam, but now with a reinforcement strip along the entire seam, like Naish.

LE construction has changed slightly too. No constant curve anymore, and the segments are connected with a straight stitch folded 1 way secured with a zigzag. Imo that's a weaker construction, but given the fact that a lot of brands use it (including most of the 'A' brands) without real problems (though LE seam problems I've seen were all with that particular straight stitch... ) should make it strong enough at least. There are protective patches along all the seams like North/SS.

No other real differences construction-wise I think. Couldn't look into too much detail because I had to chase my cat away all the time, lol.

The kitebag is a nice bonus too. In stead of a normal sack with a string closure, you get a sack with a shoulder strap and 2 compression straps on the front plus a string closure. So that's a nice in-between alternative for a normal bag or a sack.

Gonna be a 30-35 knots day tomorrow, so probably gonna go for an overpowered session.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Faxie wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:53 pm
Gonna be a 30-35 knots day tomorrow, so probably gonna go for an overpowered session.
Too offshore here, be interested to hear how you get on (looks like it could well go over 40 knots) ...

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Faxie, very much looking forward to your review, no pressure of course!

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 pm

alford wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:45 pm
Ofcourse :P

Even if I feel it's the best kite I've ever flown, I still stand by the argument that it should be that way without the pulleys, or at least not 3 of them.

I'm not gonna try a bridle wrap tomorrow, but I'll give it a shot on friday :P Should be a decent onshore wave day, with twintip unhook potential as well.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Has thanked: 0

Postby topmick » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 am

Faxie wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 pm
alford wrote:

Even if I feel it's the best kite I've ever flown, I still stand by the argument that it should be that way without the pulleys, or at least not 3 of them.

I'm not gonna try a bridle wrap tomorrow, but I'll give it a shot on friday :P Should be a decent onshore wave day, with twintip unhook potential as well.
Hi Faxie, have you flown E5,s to be able to compare mate ?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:56 am

topmick wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 am
Faxie wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 pm
alford wrote:

Hi Faxie, have you flown E5,s to be able to compare mate ?
No, but E1, 2, 3 and 4. And numerous kites from other brands, recently Evo, Enduro, Bandit and Edge.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Faxie, did you get out today on the E6?

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:56 pm

if you try bridle wrap....sent it in a downloop and let the kite touch the water....tip over and...
Thx
Dude

Return to “Kitesurfing”