Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are Switch kites getting any better?

forum for kitesurfers

alford
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Are Switch kites getting any better?

Postby alford » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 pm

I wonder why they didn't continue with Bill, was it a philosophical design difference issue or purely a cost savings move? They need to release something soon that's good, I'm not alone in wondering what's going on.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:56 pm

alford wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 pm
I wonder why they didn't continue with Bill, was it a philosophical design difference issue or purely a cost savings move? They need to release something soon that's good, I'm not alone in wondering what's going on.
Check your PM ;)

topmick
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
Sunova

Postby topmick » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:39 am

Felix sounds pretty stoked on the new protos, check his Instagram.

Alysum
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:08 pm

alford wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:43 pm
Warning, this is an old thread but wanted Faxie to weigh in on the recent changes at Switch, specifically the loss of their lead designer and the stagnation of new kite releases.
What's going on there and is the brand on solid footing? For example, It took them forever to release their new bar and after all the waiting it's the same damn bar several other brands are using. For the record I'm not a owner but have always wanted to try their kites but like many others I'm waiting for the next generation Element. I'm starting to have my doubts about the brand's solvency and product development.
why are you waiting for the next element?
Felix said earlier this year no element 6 until next year because the Element 5 is very good and they couldn't find ways to get even more drift out of it. It's a fantastic kite, go for it!

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:01 pm

I thought switch "was" Bill?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Faxie wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:56 pm
alford wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 pm
Check your PM ;)
heeey I am curious too.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:24 pm

alford wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:18 pm
I hope so, a viable Switch brand is good for the industry IMHO.
Only if they have a R&D team. It is not good for the industry if they the same designer that designs for multiple other brands IMO. KB is still in early stages of development and a good innovation drive is critical for kite development IMO.

I've been saying this for a decade: there are too many brands and too little innovation. Because the market is so small a consolidation of brands I think would have a good impact on the industry. We do need smaller and dedicated / innovative brands, but only those who actually do something new. I think Greg / BRM is a great example of this someone who is absolutely 100% focused and dedicated.

Its good to have pressure on pricing, but to be honest I am not sure the real impact has been...maybe lowering the bar to get into the sport for some... At the end of the day I never hope any brands have trouble, because there are real human impacts behind it every time. I wish both Switch and Bill all the best.

kitexpert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:41 pm

tautologies wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:24 pm
I think Greg / BRM is a great example of this someone who is absolutely 100% focused and dedicated.
Yes BRM has a new concept, or at least it was a new concept. However from the designer point of view it is quite simple concept and what I've seen Greg's youtube videos it is apparent his knowledge and experience of kites is narrow compared to designers like Bill Hansen.

I'm afraid BRM is a "one trick pony" and I don't except them anything new. It is another question what new there could be to look forward to. I guess new materials and new methods to make a kite could be it. Also tailoring kites for specific uses will continue because it gives a chance to sell more kites.

Outsourcing design work leads different kite brands having similar kites, perhaps cosmetically tweaked versions. Seems like owners think kites are now finished, time to cut design costs. Not good for development.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:51 pm

I'm afraid BRM is a "one trick pony" and I don't except them anything new.
And what is the trick?
Kitesurfing?
It is another question what new there could be to look forward to.
Well, no one thought there would be strutless lei's a few years ago...
So, look at your basic assumptions and find one that is false, like the old assumption that struts or battens are needed for all lei's.
What other assumptions are there that might be false?
We may still be at a stage of development where we have several false assumptions.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:15 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Yes BRM has a new concept, or at least it was a new concept. However from the designer point of view it is quite simple concept and what I've seen Greg's youtube videos it is apparent his knowledge and experience of kites is narrow compared to designers like Bill Hansen.

I'm afraid BRM is a "one trick pony" and I don't except them anything new. It is another question what new there could be to look forward to. I guess new materials and new methods to make a kite could be it. Also tailoring kites for specific uses will continue because it gives a chance to sell more kites.

Outsourcing design work leads different kite brands having similar kites, perhaps cosmetically tweaked versions. Seems like owners think kites are now finished, time to cut design costs. Not good for development.
Oh come on. What do you know about that? What do you use to judge all this?
I am not going to discuss apparent knowledge that is a silly, but suffice to say BRM has many design goals one of which is: To keep stuff simple, which is incredible hard. The kites are absolutely great for wave riding and foiling. The bar is by far the simplest bar on the market and Greg kiteboard himself. Your assumption that there could not be new innovations from BRM is lacking of history and in substance IMO.

Return to “Kitesurfing”