Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 135
Moses Fluente 548/550/590/330/325
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9UL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Are Switch kites getting any better?

Postby TomW » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:49 pm

The Nitro 1, Element 1 and Method 1 were pretty poor kites.
High bar pressure, tendency to over fly and hindenburg, poor or non existing steering at high depower. OK, they were cheap.
But zero resale value.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active
Ozone reo V4 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:36 am

@ Tom,
you are right on these two kites, also the first Element was not that great, but each time they came up with the upgrade model , they improved it, which is not alwatys the case with other brands.

Pity for the Method, if they could have made a Method V3 with less bar and needed input pressure I would still be on it,

After Method V2 I skipped E2/3 and got on Element V4 the best kite then, and the only difference compared to an OZONE REO V3 was more barpressure and frotline pressure...but much more less than a Method V2, for me the E V4 was the best kite they produced, never got my hands on the V5.

Now the V6 has nothig to do with the previous Element Bill Hanson design line, no matter how hard Felix is trying to sell it..

cheers dude :cool2:

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:38 am

In 2006, there was only one good kite on the market, Ozone Instinct and only up to 11m. The rest of them were total crap. Today, I would not touch them with the stick.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:28 am

TomW wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:49 pm
The Nitro 1, Element 1 and Method 1 were pretty poor kites.
High bar pressure, tendency to over fly and hindenburg, poor or non existing steering at high depower. OK, they were cheap.
But zero resale value.
Element1 had very low bar pressure. Too low for my taste in the end. Other than that, it was better in most other aspects compared to my A+ Fone Bandit. That one didn't turn that well depowered too.

Why would I care about resale? I flew it for 2 years I think, and lost less money than I've would with a 2 yr old Cabrinha for example. The relative loss is about the same, absolute loss is less. Biggest problem is that they're less popular. But all smaller brands are.

Haven't flown the Nitro 1, but had a small time on the Method 1. Bar pressure was high, but not that big of a deal imo. Wasn't that much different from my Bandit.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 135
Moses Fluente 548/550/590/330/325
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9UL

Postby TomW » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:17 pm

Just saying that from my perspective, they let those kites out the door and it was pretty obvious they were not ready. so I'm very sceptical to buying anything that's ' new' from Switch.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:46 pm

TomW wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:17 pm
Just saying that from my perspective, they let those kites out the door and it was pretty obvious they were not ready. so I'm very sceptical to buying anything that's ' new' from Switch.
Bit strange a lot of people were raving mad about those kites when they were still Eclipse models... the problem with the first batch of Switch kites was that they were an acquired taste for a big part and a bit heavy, comparably to LF kites. Method wasn't your average wavekite, and Nitro wasn't your average freerider. Combat was a pretty good C-kite, but it had wingtip battens, so again not for everybody.

I myself am very skeptical for the hundreth new model from most manufacturers. Haven't flown a single one that blew me away.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:42 pm

TomW wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:49 pm
zero resale value
Buy Nitro6 now, and when they quit making them it will become instant classic. The best kite investment you will ever make. :thumb:

felixp
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Brand Affiliation: Switch, Firewire

Postby felixp » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:27 pm

Everyone to their own.
People comparing kites from 6 years ago to a new model that just came out. Really. Its like comparing a car from 6 years ago.
Maybe it time to go out on a limb and give the E6 a go. Judging a book by it cover..... You never know just might be something you really Enjoy.
Videos and reviews should start coming out as buyers will be receiving the first shipments any day.
Its as simple as that.
Regards
Felix.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:20 pm

felixp wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:27 pm
People comparing kites from 6 years ago to a new model that just came out. Really.......
It is cool when the guy in charge posts on this forum!

With the changes at Switch, what direction do you see your designs going? Is it going to be a "hit or miss" totally new feel every version, or are you intent on nailing the feel and just tweaking slightly so someone who has been flying the last version can sell their kite as soon as the new one is being shipped to them? Slingshot has done the latter for a while and their riders appreciate it!

How about parts availability? Switch had a decent bar system with only one issue - and thankfully that was not on the CL QR device. When we will see parts availability for the new bar on the Switch website?

Bill C
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Bill C » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:21 am

[/quote]
How about parts availability? Switch had a decent bar system with only one issue - and thankfully that was not on the CL QR device. When we will see parts availability for the new bar on the Switch website?
[/quote]

I bought the new C4 bar several months ago and its a good bar. Spare parts can be found under the Spare Parts/Kite Bar Parts/Controller 4 section on their website. http://switchkites.com/

Return to “Kitesurfing”