Gear: .

Re: Kiting Fatality Paracuru?

Postby NYKiter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:36 am

Yikes.
RIP
:coffee:

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw
Has thanked: 0

Postby windrupted » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:23 am

Hate to say this but: once you get your ankle wrapped and the kite powers up, there is no way you can jacknife your torso to reach your ankle. It's physically impossible. some of us surfers know this from getting our board leash snagged on the reef. In surf, there may be one short chance when the surge sucks back out to sea and you can quickly remove the leash. But if the kite powers up and the line has wrapped your ankle, you will drown if no one see's and comes to your aid. A good reason for kiting with a capable buddy and not some idiot!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:04 am

I can just hope that he enjoyed this sport in length before this happened.

RIP

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:21 am

windrupted wrote:Hate to say this but: once you get your ankle wrapped and the kite powers up, there is no way you can jacknife your torso to reach your ankle. It's physically impossible. some of us surfers know this from getting our board leash snagged on the reef. In surf, there may be one short chance when the surge sucks back out to sea and you can quickly remove the leash. But if the kite powers up and the line has wrapped your ankle, you will drown if no one see's and comes to your aid. A good reason for kiting with a capable buddy and not some idiot!
same shit happened in the early days while i was catching my first waves.got washed and thrown into the lines and been dragged from the ankle facing the bottom.i hold my breath as much as i could cause the kite was pulling like and ankor.i was very lucky when suddenly i felt a slight loose of the tension and curled graping my knife cutting everything that i could.i beleive that my calmness and the good apnea that i got from army training saved my life.its good for all of us to practice apnea.and kite ALWAYS with somebody you can trust.its also good to have a discussion what you will do with your friend in case shit happens.specialy in hard conditions

RIP

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jbrook » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Wind was side onshore here that day a little more onshore than normal. Kiter maybe out ran kite and got caught up in lines, it happens easy here when you drop a good size right, key to wave kiting in these conditions is tension. RIP

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:10 pm

RIP man. I hope you at least you enjoyed your time here.

A looping kite is really terrifying. I had it several times in the past and twice also almost got drowned.

Indeed keeping calm and using your brain in such difficult moments is the best to do..And your fellow kitemate should be definitely doing the same..

An awesome part of this wonderful sport....

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:25 pm

windrupted wrote:Hate to say this but: once you get your ankle wrapped and the kite powers up, there is no way you can jacknife your torso to reach your ankle. It's physically impossible. some of us surfers know this from getting our board leash snagged on the reef. In surf, there may be one short chance when the surge sucks back out to sea and you can quickly remove the leash. But if the kite powers up and the line has wrapped your ankle, you will drown if no one see's and comes to your aid. A good reason for kiting with a capable buddy and not some idiot!
I'm guessing that the only hope is getting some point of less drag and maybe being able to pull your ankle to you with the lines from you to your ankle and then maybe looping that round the hook or something to hold it there while you cut the tensioned lines (or maybe try to pull one line in to depower the kite). But you would need to be lucky.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:23 pm

That's a sad and scary story. Scary because it sounds like he knew what he was doing, a regular guy in non threatening conditions, just very bad luck....which means this can happen to any of us at any time.

I am in my 2nd year and still wear a pfd. It doesn't impede me in any way, just looks kooky. Curious to hear the thoughts that this has happened too....when kite death looping and you getting dragged, would a pfd's flotation buy you just that little extra time to deal with your lines? Would it maybe help? Or would it make no difference?

RIP :cry:

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:53 pm

I've ridden into my lines a few times. HORRIFYING! And I am sure this poor rider did everything he could to get loose. A wave, a blown kite loop can easily pull any one of us into our lines. I don't think there is much you can do other than hope you can reach the line with your hook knife. In the year 2024 we will all have 007 watches with a panic button with an app on it that will explode our leading edges or detach all of our lines from our kites. 2024? Or 2015? Either way, I'm glad its snowkiting season here and I don't have to worry about this for 4 months.

RIP

capitan nemo
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby capitan nemo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Condolences to family and friends.

Return to “Kitesurfing”