Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Homemade split boards

Postby davesails7 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:13 am

What do you think of using a single long strip of thin UHMW or aluminum instead of the 4 washers? Then you can use countersunk bolts into the UHMW/aluminum. Sand down the edges to streamline it. One long strip should be a lot less draggy than several bolts/washers.

Other idea is to thread the bolts down into an extra long fin in the middle of the heelside. The new flydoors have a big fin in the center of the heelside. You would have to custom make the fin, but could work.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:45 am

dave, I was thinking about the strip washer idea too. In addition it would add more shear strength to the bolt connection. Might be able to pass on the two center bolts as well and just attach the center strut to the original handle inserts.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:30 am

Flyfish wrote:
matthepp wrote:
Worst thing was the feel of a little extra water drag from the screw heads (or did I just imagine it?)

!
No, you didn't imagine it. I felt the drag on my board when I did it. I'm thinking of trying to refine it by putting in inserts for my next project.

Does anybody know how to do that in twin tips and where to buy the inserts from?
Simplest way is to drill out your insert holes, giving at least a few mm around your inserts, sink em in epoxy (maybe wise to drop some chopped glass in with it) and then more glass over the top to reduce your chance of pulling em out. You can buy all sorts just av a look on google, or if you got access to a stainless welder make your own which is the cheapest way.

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:01 pm

That makes makes sence. I've put tons of strap inserts into surfboards, so guess it's the exact same process. I think I'll use the same insert plugs but just cut them down to the right size. Here's the cheaper T nut method:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9g8crR3sC8

Return to “Kitesurfing”