Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: kite golf bag

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:24 am

Dimitri M wrote:-Too big for air travel IMO (3/4 full and you are at max weight most times.) (YES THAT IS TRUE BUT NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS)
You mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get that big heavy bag out of New Zealand at the Economy class check-in counter...

norriegga
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Toronto, Keswick
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby norriegga » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:33 am

I have the NP Surf golf bag. It fits a board, two kites and accesories before hitting 50lbs. On my very first flight with it, the corner of my board poked right through the corner of the bag. I emailed the manufacturer twice, mainly seeking advice on repair but i guess they could not be bothered to even return a message out of courtesy. Take that for what it is worth.

My older NSI bag is still going strong though!

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:56 pm

I also use the NSI bag and it is a tough bag but quite heavy (11lbs dry weight). I am looking at buying another bag as well and thought also about picking up the transporter bag from Epic. Seems lightweight and well made (I haven't seen one outside of the video). The part that appeals to me is that I can pack more kites/boards/gear between the two bags to keep weight down and than still connect the two together. That way I can pack kites for my wife and not have to worry about her having to carry it into the airport and beyond. I really like that feature as it is such a simple connection system that looks like it would work well for my needs. It isn't original to Epic but with the lighter bag it seems like a winner to me. Not sure to what PITA is but I assume it just means that the bag has flex? Wouldn't the compression straps help minimize its size and make it more stable?

James

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:37 am

soul19 wrote:I also use the NSI bag and it is a tough bag but quite heavy (11lbs dry weight). I am looking at buying another bag as well and thought also about picking up the transporter bag from Epic. Seems lightweight and well made (I haven't seen one outside of the video). The part that appeals to me is that I can pack more kites/boards/gear between the two bags to keep weight down and than still connect the two together. That way I can pack kites for my wife and not have to worry about her having to carry it into the airport and beyond. I really like that feature as it is such a simple connection system that looks like it would work well for my needs. It isn't original to Epic but with the lighter bag it seems like a winner to me. Not sure to what PITA is but I assume it just means that the bag has flex? Wouldn't the compression straps help minimize its size and make it more stable?

James
PITA (pain in the a55) . I like the concept of the bag which splits in two, you just need to weigh
each piece separately before you get to check in to make sure each piece is under the 50lbs/23kg or whatever you are allowed. As I fly often with my GF, to be able to have all our gear in one 50lb rolling bag till we check it and then again straight off baggage reclaim would make things a nice bit simpler.
To my mind a good V2 upgrade would be to add compression straps (or loops to hold them) along the longitudinal seams inside the bags so you could keep everything in the place you packed it, (maybe some sort of cargo net might do the same thing?.
It looks like a good piece of gear..... I'm tempted :)

finnkc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario Great Lakes
Style: freeride
Gear: 2012 Blade Fat Lady 17m
2012 Liquidforce Envy 12m
2011 Naish Bolt 10.5m
2011 Crazyfly Allround 145x41
2011 Naish Haze 141x41

Postby finnkc » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Hey Dimitri M.

I guess I could have been a bit more clear and thanks for clearing up the board size I was quoting off an online vendor, They do indeed have it wrong.

The bag is a great price, and like I said tough and I like the middle opening. The material and padding is great and I am never worried about my gear getting tossed around by baggage handlers. The reason I got the bag was because it was simple and straightforward. I am big fan of that concept. I also understand adding more material for other "features" adds to the weight. It is the bag I use here at home as well when I am packing for a weekend session and not worried about weight.

Some suggestions, but I have no idea what the weight / cost to these are so take them as such.

-Could there be a way to remove the plastic wheels and skid plates at the back? I would be curious to see how much they weigh. Maybe a few stainless screws from the inside of the bag? Or some sort of a pressure clip on the outside. Might be the difference between bringing anouther bar. And you can just throw them into a carry on at the check counter.

- Maybe take some size out of the height (not the length)? This would make it easy to pack tighter and keep the bag nice and rigid. The compression straps help but there is not enough of them IMO. Also would help prevent over packing the bag thus being overweight at check in.

- Some compartments inside the bag would be nice. Place for tools / fins / wetsuit, etc.. A side pocket for a bar or two? I hate throwing a sandy / wet bar into a bag with 2+ other dry kites and gear.

- A flap for the zipper would be welcome as well. Could be something like a 2-3" piece of material that runs the length of the zipper. Had a few days where I was worried about catching the zipper on the kites as I closed the bag.

jsquid
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Point, Sauble, Oliphant, Wasaga
Favorite Beaches: KP, Long Bay (TCI), Long Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 and XR4 LW
Carved Imperator V
Core Fusion
Core Fusion LW
Core Ripper 2
Brand Affiliation: Hangtime Kiteboarding

Postby jsquid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:21 pm

finnkc wrote: -Could there be a way to remove the plastic wheels and skid plates at the back? I would be curious to see how much they weigh. Maybe a few stainless screws from the inside of the bag? Or some sort of a pressure clip on the outside. Might be the difference between bringing anouther bar. And you can just throw them into a carry on at the check counter.
This makes me wonder, can you just put your extra bar in your carry on? Or is that somehow considered a restriced item because you could tie someone up with your lines in the cabin?

I'd personally like to take one bar in my carry on, one in my wifes. Spread the kites around between my kite bag and my wifes suitcase. Keeps options open for when a bag is misplaced in transit.

Langosta
Rare Poster

Postby Langosta » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:56 am

I like the crazy bag. there is a model without wheel so the wight is reduced.

I can fit 3 kites 2 boards and the total weight would be 150 which is the maximum for the airlines

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:05 am

The good thing about that Cf is that it has Pack straps,, if you put it on your back you then have your hands free to pull a wheeled second bag ...

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:55 pm

The wheels and skid plate are a necessary evil for me as I find that with shuttles, line ups and just general distances it is nice to have wheels to easy the burden of carrying this bag. Once you get into the lightweight bags they become easier to damage and I find that the airlines are brutal enough on my luggage to begin with. My next bag will definitely be the Epic transporter bag as it seems like one of the nicest bags on the market right now. My NSI bag is still going strong and has been used a lot but I like the idea of having two bags that clip together. My only complaint with the NSI bag is that it is over 1/5th of the allotted weight that the airlines allow.

James

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:28 pm

I've been traveling with golf-bags for the last 3-4 years without any issues. These are pretty much the lightest option out there, but you have to take extra-precautions when packing the gear. Wrapping your board's outer edge with some kind of protector is a must (I use 5/8" automotive plastic wire wrap). Some clothing between the bag's outer skin and kites won't hurt either. Bananas for bananas I can pack considerably more gear in a golf-bag than in any kite-specific-bags without breaking the 20kg limit and it's not a bad idea to have a spare 1-2kgs as on the way back from really humid places all your gear is a tag heavier, nevermind if you were riding just before packing and leaving.

soul19 wrote:My next bag will definitely be the Epic transporter bag as it seems like one of the nicest bags on the market right now.
Sounds like you'll be first in line when Dimitri will start selling Epic-branded g-strings... :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”