zedzed
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rhodes Island -
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Size of kites for Capetown

Postby zedzed » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:09 pm

will be in Cape in few weeks - would like to carry only two kites. I intent to use only surfboard therefore thinking to take my 5 and 7 as i understand that winds are quiet strong and i don't need much power with surfboard. Do i need the 9?

Iam 75 kg

tnx :thumb:

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Size of kites for Capetown

Postby BWD » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:39 pm

I went there in March once, brought a 13m and glad I did.
If you are staying a month, you can skip a week if the wind is not strong enough for your little kites.
But if you are only doing 2 weeks or less, what if the wind is not quite strong for one week?
There go half your sessions!
So even in winter, I'd bring a 9. And at shoulder seasons, even bigger.
Another reason to do this: if you have to rent or buy a kite there due to damage/loss/whatever,
large kites may not be as available as small ones.
If the wind is weak through some odd weather, you will be glad you lugged that big kite with you. Plus it makes good padding in the board bag.
Don't skip Langebaan, Cape Point, and points south if you have the time.
BTW I'm jealous.
Have fun!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:47 pm

I have been there a couple of years.

First time I took my 9m2 (and 7 and 5 of course), but never got a chance to use it, as it was 4-7m2 every single day, 12 out of 14 days, aside from two days without wind at all (and turned starport a few knots only).

Second time down there, also in the summer (January), I actually used my 9m2 a couple of times, out of the 14 days, and this time wind every day.

Seen in retroperspective, I could just as well have let my 9m2 stay at home, and surfed or done something else these 2 days, as you are always kitesurfed to "mashed potatoes" anyways, after being out every single day and evening for up to 8-10 hours if you want :o
So you need some rest eventually, no matter how fit you are :rollgrin:

I weigh the same as you.

5 and 7m2 used about the same number of times down there in these weeks.

We might just have been lucky these weeks/years, as I've heard you can get lousy wind and conditions too :(
Havent experienced it myself though...

So of course a chance to omit the 9, but on the other hand, soooo much easier to pack and travel, as you need way less space in your trunk with only a 5 and a 7 :naughty:

It seems that either it blows "standard" - or it goes totally bananas with odd winddirections or no wind at all, and useless anyways (besides racing with huge kites maybe).

So you could bring your 9, but forget about bigger ones...
Or take the chance and go without - as IF it is not sufficient wind at CT itself, you just drive down to Witsands, Scarborough, Platboom etc, where there is much more wind normally.

8) Peter

Pippi langsamer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay
Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby Pippi langsamer » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:30 pm

At around 80kg +/- 7.5 and 9 were the two kites I used whilst there for 2.5 years for twin tip use.

I probably used the 9 more tbh most of the summer.

I'd say "most", days it seems to average high teens to low twenties knts. As stated above though, some evenings can get mental!

Medium Poster

Postby 1968 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:33 pm

We were there this jan. / feb. Im 70kg and used my 7 and 10 equally. The wind usually picked up in the afternoon, so it was 10 in the morning and 7 later on.

To me its the best place for a kite holiday, enjoy!

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:07 am

living here for the last 4 years... out pretty much every day... I use 7 & 9 most often... 12 on the light wind days and my 17 Contra in "no wind conditions" :D

I mostly see girls on the 5 meters... many waveriders use 6 meters on strong days...
In the end, 7 & 9 would be my suggestion.. The wind picks up gradually during the day, so even on the craziest days, your 7 will be fine during the day and you might have to leave the water a bit earlier if its too much.... or just do a downwinder :D

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:37 am

Waves, 5-7, TT 7-9..

Best place in the world..

Return to “Kitesurfing”