How long have you been Kiting & what level are you at

Forum for kitesurfers
-Martijn-
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: How long have you been Kiting & what level are you at

Postby -Martijn- » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:28 pm

15 months and still a beginner :( But simply too busy with my own company to go on a regular base and i want to FINALLY get my degree next summer.

And now it's freaking cold so i skip probably the next 4-5 months. Or order for myself as a late christmass gift a drysuit.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Has thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:01 pm

I have been kiting for a few years and have progressed to the point that I am having a great time with each session that I get out. I am not the top level rider that the pros are at and may never hit that point either. What I have found with all sports that I have done is that the best riders aren't always the happiest people out! It was such a revelation for me that I now aim to be the happiest guy in whatever that I am doing!

James

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Yup, Faxie is bang on , I missed those two, I need to have some "brave pills" each time before I ride, and perhaps a spoonful of concrete each day in my morning coffee too :lol:

Wiski23
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt. Shred
Style: Wake
Gear: Mutiny c kites & slingshot board

Postby Wiski23 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:50 pm

soul19 wrote: I am not the top level rider that the pros are at and may never hit that point either. What I have found with all sports that I have done is that the best riders aren't always the happiest people out! It was such a revelation for me that I now aim to be the happiest guy in whatever that I am doing!

James

Man that's a good post. Unfortunately I fall in to this catogory which sucks but you can't change your personality. I'm a happy as person but when it comes to sport,(white line fever) I'm a perfectionist so once the learning/Fun period is over, which is now, if I'm not banging out new tricks regularly or going higher each session then the fun can turn to frustration & the "fun part" slides away.
It's good to be good & really push the limits but sometimes it would be nice just to be satisfied with chilling behind a kite... I guess :oops:

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:38 pm

Progression is a process in all sports and something that is essential to keeping the game fresh! I have just come to the point that if I am not successful at something in a particular session than there is always tomorrow. In that I allow myself the freedom to enjoy what I am doing at all times. I absolutely love to push myself as far as I can go but not to the point that I start to forget why I chose this sport in the first place.

James

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:54 pm

Man has kiteboarding been around more than 15 years? All I remember is using a 170 something long liquid force pickle fork which almost took my head off once and a wipika 2 line kite that dropped out of the sky every time their was a gust. Guessing that was 14 years now.
I am not into any epileptic seizure like tricks, if it doesn't look or feel flowing na. Too old for that skateboard stuff. Jumps, bankrolls, toe side and some board offs. Going blind just looks like it could end in tears for me and and anything unhooks looks like too much effort and rather pop off waves and look down to see the coral and fish. Call me old. ;)

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:11 am

Going on year five here in the great lakes - winter, spring summer and fall. I consider myself an intermediate because I kite in winter. Finally riding waves (and thrusters) similar to when I was a 25 year old surfer. Freshwater waves will never be the same, but the bottom turns and off the lips in head high slop is well worth the steep kiting learning curve. :naughty:

Best wishes to kiters in the new year!
:party:

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:17 am

13 years, always inspired to try and be a good rider, age catching up with ankles knees and shoulder joints, not quite really to join the ranks of elderly surfboard riders yet.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Like Toby back in 2000, but unlike Toby a cannot even begin to do most of his crazy ass air style tricks. :cry:

...and yeh I'm fixated on kite loops...and getting severely smashed lately.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:51 pm

I thought I was already too old for that sport, so started late, after actually seeing it in March 2003. Riding directional boards, preferably in waves. Not into jumping monkey stuff.
About to start with foil boards for low wind conditions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”