Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: neo 4 5 religion 9 religion 6
north proseries 2014 5.8 5.11
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hermanus locals in grey jackets

Postby piccio » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:15 am

went once seeing sharks from the cage in gaasbai next to hermanus,amazing experience,they are unbelieveble large ,we had two of them a couple of meters circling our big boat for one hour ...I was lying down with tremendous sea sickness (most of the 25 tourist) ...a friend ...look a big ship around ! 4,5 mt around the cage trying to eat the bait.....
I was thinking .....when kiting ....arguing with small one I will try to fight some way before dying .....with a big one no chance ,no way ,too big,directly half of me inside him !!!!!
we choose the second turn trip with the boat at 12 becouse we left from CPT not so early....a mystake.... water was not transparent ....some soft waves ...sea sickness is a guarantee because everybody is looking down at sharks not caring of boat movements ......better ask when water is clear ang go early.
can't wait go there once again !!!!

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil

Postby TheRussian » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:49 am

Kited Hermanus once - saw some whales, wind dropped to zero, spent appx 1 hr swimming in, went round the bay and saw the Shark cage diving :o

Van Hunk
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Dolphin

Postby Van Hunk » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:34 am

Hermanus is definitely not a place where you want to be swimming with your gear.

Recently published research based on 20 000 pics of great white dorsal fins taken over 3 years (researchers gave all the shark cage diving operators in the area digital cameras and told them to "snap away") indicate that, Danger Point - the tip of Walker bay in Hermanus - has between 800 and 1000 Great Whites present at any point in time.

That is close to almost a THIRD of the world population. (Sadly there are less GW's left on our planet than tigers) Hermanus can therefore safely claim to be one the sharkiest spots in the world...A thought which always races through your mind as you try and relaunch in what can only be described as a wicked set of rips.

Return to “Kitesurfing”