Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Possible to combine Cabrinha GL IDS bar 2012 with blade trigger or best kahoona?

forum for kitesurfers

bojo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 4
Gear: cabrinha switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None

Possible to combine Cabrinha GL IDS bar 2012 with blade trigger or best kahoona?

Postby bojo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:56 pm

Hello, I am thinking of buying a Blade trigger (2014) 9m2 or Best Kahoona V5 (2013) 10.5m2 and wondered if I can fly any of those with my bar, a Cabrinha 2012 GL IDS 42cm. I read that it is not safe to combine 2 line safety systems with a single line safety. As far as I understood the Blade Trigger and Best Kahoona have one line safety systems, is that right? Or does the IDS system affect it? Would be great if anyone could tell me if I am on the safe side combining kite and bar.
Thank you very much :-)

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Favorite Beaches: Deserted ones
Style: Techno rap trippy metal
Gear: Wainman/Epic/Blade/Shinn/Axis/Crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: They all pay me a massive salary

Re: Possible to combine Cabrinha GL IDS bar 2012 with blade trigger or best kahoona?

Postby L0KI » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:06 am

Blade Trigger is a really great, really fun to fly kite in 9M, 10M, 12M & 14M
A Kahoona 10.5M will be more powerful than a 9M Trigger.
Trigger does most things better than a Kahoona.
Cabrinha bars blow, get rid of it and get something more normal and practical.
Buy a good used bar off ikitesurf or wherever you think you can get a good deal on a used bar.
Single line safety is the standard for most bars now and unless you are rockin an Ocean Rodeo two line depower kite, then skip the two line depower bars.

bojo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 4
Gear: cabrinha switchblade

Re: Possible to combine Cabrinha GL IDS bar 2012 with blade trigger or best kahoona?

Postby bojo » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. What kind of bar is good and I can use with most kites?

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Naish Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2014 8m Naish Torch
2014 10m Naish Torch
2014 11m SS RPM
2014 12m LF NRG
2015 17m Blade Fat Lady v3
2014 Best Breeze 145
2014 Naish Antic 142

Postby dracop » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:24 pm

L0KI wrote:Buy a good used bar off ikitesurf or wherever you think you can get a good deal on a used bar.

Now why push iKitesurf when there is a Marketpalce here :angryfire:

Ironically, ikitesurf is the one kitesurf related forum I next to never visit despite using their app.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:49 pm

dracop wrote:Now why push iKitesurf when there is a Marketpalce here :angryfire:.
Because this is the place for a popular forum and ikitesurf is the place for a popular buy/sell classfieds section.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Kanaha - Maui, HI
2014 8m Naish Torch
2014 10m Naish Torch
2014 11m SS RPM
2014 12m LF NRG
2014 Best Breeze 145
2014 Naish Antic 142

Postby dracop » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:11 pm

Im gonna put that to the test, I detest having to to post stuff across multiple sites. We seriously need someone to create a KiteTrader App to try to unify the collective Used Gear inventory on the market. To be fair, the Marketplace function here is very quiet. Still, coming on to kiteforum and promoting another site might be abit cheesy. Toby can chime in if he feels like it, given its his site.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Style: unhooked and hooked boots only
Gear: slingshot, north, liquid force, cmb, pansh
Brand Affiliation: wishing I could whore myself out to get free gear, but nope

Postby edt » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:18 pm

bojo wrote:Hello, I am thinking of buying a Blade trigger (2014) 9m2 or Best Kahoona V5 (2013) 10.5m2 and wondered if I can fly any of those with my bar, a Cabrinha 2012 GL IDS 42cm. I read that it is not safe to combine 2 line safety systems with a single line safety. As far as I understood the Blade Trigger and Best Kahoona have one line safety systems, is that right? Or does the IDS system affect it? Would be great if anyone could tell me if I am on the safe side combining kite and bar.
Thank you very much :-)

It totally depends on the design of the kite. If you take a look at your blade trigger 2014 or best kahoona, how long is the bridle? Does it have pullies or is it a non-pulley system? If the kite is able to rotate into a U shape by using the bridle then it can use the IDS or "mini-5th" control bar. If the kite is only able to rotate a little bit then you need a single line flagging system. So it depends. There's no database of which new kites work with which new kites you simply have to try it out. My advice is buy a single line flagging control bar of your choice anyway even if it does just happen to work. The reasoning is simple. Sooner or later you will end up with a kite that requires a single line flagging system so you are going to be out the cost of a new bar no matter what you do. Might as well get it right away and save your peace of mind.

If you are really strapped for cash and can't afford a new control bar right away, buy the new kites and test them on a low wind day see what they do. You might be able to get away with using the mini-5th on them. But If they don't go into the U properly you'll have to buy that control bar anyway.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:32 pm

bojo wrote:Thanks for the reply. What kind of bar is good and I can use with most kites?
Airush Smart bar is pretty good.
I like the new Epic bar system.
The North Quad bar is a good release and safety system.. though their white lines with spots of color are crap, don't know if that has changed and gotten better.
The Blade bar is very good.
I have good luck with the Wainman bar as well.
I think the Slinghot Sentinal bar looks very good.
Best 2014 RP V4 bar looks good.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:48 pm

dracop wrote:Im gonna put that to the test, I detest having to to post stuff across multiple sites. We seriously need someone to create a KiteTrader App to try to unify the collective Used Gear inventory on the market. To be fair, the Marketplace function here is very quiet. Still, coming on to kiteforum and promoting another site might be abit cheesy. Toby can chime in if he feels like it, given its his site.
I would be very happy to see the Marketplace here with the amount of listings that ikitesurf has but it never does.
There are 2 bars listed here and 85 listed in ikitesurf.
I didn't come to Kiteforum to promote ikitesurf, I've been here over a decade ....and helping the OP is not cheesy.
I'm telling the OP where to find the most used gear, I would think if he can't figure out that there is also used gear in the Marketplace here then he is not paying attention and needs more than my help.
It was unified at ikitesurf for years and now we have a Marketplace here and lots of Ebay activity too.
There have been two or three other KiteTrader apps that never caught on like ikitesurf.
NW Kiteforum also has used gear section, Bay Area Kiteforum also has a used gear section.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Kanaha - Maui, HI
2014 8m Naish Torch
2014 10m Naish Torch
2014 11m SS RPM
2014 12m LF NRG
2014 Best Breeze 145
2014 Naish Antic 142

Postby dracop » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:09 pm

NW is weird to get registered, BAK has the flakiest people on the planet. I spent 4 months in San Fran a couple of years ago and had to both buy and sell gear. BAK people are the worst time wasters when it comes to internet trading, on both sides of the coin (actually had a more stressful experience BUYING from people on BAK than selling! weird stuff, normally people are happy to accept cash in person or Paypal).

Well I threw up some listings on ikitesurf, will try it out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”