hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteboarding video games

Postby elliott george » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Don't think this has been discussed and I was curious about what people thought about the idea.
There is a few apps around, the one I have been playing is kiteboarder the ultimate kitesurf simulator. Done by epic kites.I find it a lot of fun, but even I'll admit it's a pretty terrible. I wouldn't play it if I weren't so obsessed with kitesurfing. But as a concept it's pretty good. The way you control the kite is pretty cool.

Anyway, is there a market for a more advanced game that could be played on Xbox or playstation
As there are surf and wakeboarding games that are done by EA Sports. So why not kitesurfing? If the sport continues to grow then it could be pretty awesome. Anyway after that waffle what I'm trying to say is........

Is it economically viable to have kitesurfing games and would people play them?

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Re: Kiteboarding video games

Postby sijandy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:47 pm

doubt it - otherwise they'd be some already.

finnkc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario Great Lakes
Style: freeride
Gear: 2012 Blade Fat Lady 17m
2012 Liquidforce Envy 12m
2011 Naish Bolt 10.5m
2011 Crazyfly Allround 145x41
2011 Naish Haze 141x41

Postby finnkc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:19 pm

I am a game dev and I doubt there is much of a market for a game. Short of an independent project, you are not going to see EA or any of the big guys doing one anytime soon.

Shame, I think a kiteboarding game would be cool.

Kiteboarding isn't mainstream enough ... yet.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:06 pm

what is the point of playing kiteboarding game? what are you going to score? some high level ballet dancer moves? how are you going to translate one trick in your fingers push on the joystick?

how is one players push on the button is better then the other ones? how do you compare two or several players performance?

that all does not even qualify as a masturbation compared to the real thing. no wonder they laugh about the all kind of sports pc gamers

jack_sp
Rare Poster
Gear: KITESURF NORTH EVO 2011 9M 2012

Postby jack_sp » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:37 pm

I've seen games like snow. It scores go through doors, it would be something like the truth I'd see a game kitesuft

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:43 pm

I don't think it's economically viable and I'm not a gamer, but I would love to see a good kiting game and would definitely buy one. The movements of kiteboarding are definitely possible to imitate with the Wii-type controllers and footpad thingie to edge the board.
Growing up on a bicycle, I thought how cool it would be to have a BMX Flatland game, and sure enough, it was included in Mat Hoffman's BMX 2 game. The controls were very similar to the"Tony Hawk" games, and there were quite a few flatland combos you could do, and of course all the street, bowl, rails, and ramp riding you could handle. :thumb:
I'd say that video games really help spark creativity and push action sports to new levels. The impossible tricks and combos you can do on the games, are now being done on the streets and skateparks today.

Kiting Happy!
-KTB

elliott george
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix

Postby elliott george » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:10 pm

KiteboardingTampaBay wrote:I don't think it's economically viable and I'm not a gamer, but I would love to see a good kiting game and would definitely buy one. The movements of kiteboarding are definitely possible to imitate with the Wii-type controllers and footpad thingie to edge the board.
Growing up on a bicycle, I thought how cool it would be to have a BMX Flatland game, and sure enough, it was included in Mat Hoffman's BMX 2 game. The controls were very similar to the"Tony Hawk" games, and there were quite a few flatland combos you could do, and of course all the street, bowl, rails, and ramp riding you could handle. :thumb:
I'd say that video games really help spark creativity and push action sports to new levels. The impossible tricks and combos you can do on the games, are now being done on the streets and skateparks today.

Kiting Happy!
-KTB

Kind of agree with you there. But you never really know. They did a wake boarding specific game done by Shaun Murray and EA sports for playstation. But wakeboarding is a lot more popular so it's hard to tell. Maybe not on a console but maybe a more thoroughly done app.

locofighter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vrouwenpolder, Neeltje Jans, both in the Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Bloubergh, South-Africa. Lots of stuff to do, and so much kiting
Style: freeriding
Gear: Naish Torch '12/13 7/9/14
Slingshot Vision 140/43 2015 with RAD boots

Postby locofighter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:55 pm

I have one that has been entertaining for quite a while. Everything you need are these files which are on my google drive.

You can do anything from kiteloops or onefooters to frontmobes with grabs. :thumb:

Ofcourse your timing and steering techniques needs to be correct. Read the controls, and steering is done with the mouse.

It wasn't made by me but by a dutch student whose name I don't remember.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wsM- ... sp=sharing

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:00 pm

The reason EPICKITES came up with a kiteboarding game few years ago was so in no windy days people could at least have fun while waiting for the wind. But since then the INFINITY light wind kite was introduced and now you can kite in less then 5 knots but you will need an SUP board for that.
Attachments
INFINITY showing people it can be done.png
INFINITY having fun in the waves.png
INFINITY having fun with friends.png

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:33 pm

One of the challenges with a kiting game is the game part. For the wakeboard game, which was really good I thought, you had tasks and so on. I could see a similar style game where you could do things like jump the pier or participate in the king of the air or megaloop challenge.

The wakeboard game in 2 player was good because your bud could drive the boat.

kiting is more versatile… as in there is a land, snow, flat water or waves component. It could be awesome if there was a mountain of money to properly develop for the playstation or xbox.

Return to “Kitesurfing”