Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Someone need to invent LE air pressure monitor cap

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:23 am

Why not ? Some cars use this system for their tires
Each kite manufacturer would have their caps calibrated to optimum pressure needed
Would simply show if LE has lost air pressure after taking a long break or after a long session
Also would show if you pumped kite enough....and maybe have it show if kite pumped too much

Just an idea of course ...not sure if it is really needed :wink:

http://tireqp.com/

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Re: Someone need to invent LE air pressure monitor cap

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:36 am

+2-4 SUPA!!! Would take the Guesswork out of it. :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :party1: :party1: :party1: :party1: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife:

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:42 am

I mentioned the same things years ago ... Im know for sure a lot of people dont pump their kites enough, every time your in a launch area its obvious.
Probably responsible for a few bum comments from kite riders unknowingly too..

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:44 am

Very true shave the whales, the last four kites I have landed for someone (they happened to be less than average riders, probably not long in) the kites have been severely under pumped. I know early on some keep some pressure out as they will be banging them into the water, but these were seriously under done. The flip side is a kite with not enough pressure also loses it's relaunchability qualities as well.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:59 pm

While your at it might just as well have a blow-off valve that lets you know when kite is pumped up to proper psi, and won't let it be overinflated. If you have a hard crash the kite will be able to blow off some air to lessen the chance of a blow-out.

joe weiss
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby joe weiss » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Good idea !
Develop and write a patent on your device, then sell it to each company for 1$ profit a piece. you'll be a millionaire in no time.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:24 pm

That would be a nice option BUT the car valve caps that show pressure with the color gauge have a tendency to leak air. They're also not very accurate; no cheap gauges are. It would also introduce more points of failure, especially if it was designed to blow off air on impact.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:32 pm

Well, you can solve half the problem with just one of the simple gauges that fits onto your pump. We sell a couple of these (one from Slingshot, one from PKS) and they're both only $20. I used to only recommend them to beginners, but I started noticing that when I was landing/launching kites for proficient riders that their kites were under-inflated. Now, I recommend them to everyone. It just takes the guesswork out. And, if you KNOW that you pumped it to 8 psi and check it later b/c it feels *squishy* and discover it's less, you may have identified a leak before you find out the hard way. :x I always tell my students, "Remember, limp is NEVER good!" :wink:

I do admit, it would be cool if they came up with a monitoring cap-gauge, but I have also heard those tend to leak as well.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:15 pm

A couple of good finger snaps on the LE does the trick. If it sounds like a snear drum you are good to go, if it sounds flat, more air. More gadgets more problems. Remember when you could fix your own car. Now you need a phd and 20 grand for fancy far reaching tools.

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby ozchrisb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”