*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Why are kite companies still selling bars?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:05 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 2966
How many riders over the years have been riding around thinking I wish I could change my bar length while I'm riding?
Exactly.
Its easy to move the rear lines at the end of a bar before you launch. Takes 5 to 10 seconds.
Its a lot cheaper to make and a lot less likely to stop working.

I would like to develop trimming the kite using the rear lines. I think someone will figure out how to do it.

I have bought a couple of the Switch V1 bars to modify as I thought they had a lot of the basics right.
The V2 seems to be a lot closer in price to the bars from other manufacturers but has some of the upgrades I would have wanted.

To me there are two types of bar - for unhooking - or for staying hooked in.
Funnily enough, when you stay hooked in, you no longer need a hook.
For unhooking, I think the Q/R should be part of the spreader bar hook.

For non-unhooking, its easier to have a sliding attachment to the harness.
You don't need a big chickenloop.

Then there is (for me) proper IDS type two front line flagging where the kite will drop on its back with the same pull as a 5th line.
Or one front line flagging which will depower the kite more than two front lines.

I find with one front line flagging I usually need a bigger hole through any swivel it has to pass through than for two front line flagging, because of the joints in the line.

This is a build I am working on now, for single front line flagging. I had to drill out the Nobile stainless steel swivel from 4mm to 6mm using cobalt drills to get the flagging line to pass through. The front lines attach at a Slingshot choad ball.
I would prefer the Wichard to release as a push-away, so I am still considering if I can get that to happen. I am also looking for a stopper that works well on a single line.


Attachments:
nobileswivel3.jpg
nobileswivel3.jpg [ 1.04 MIB | Viewed 449 times ]
nobileswivel2.jpg
nobileswivel2.jpg [ 458.68 KIB | Viewed 449 times ]
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why are kite companies still selling bars?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:23 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:28 pm
Posts: 313
ronnie wrote:
How many riders over the years have been riding around thinking I wish I could change my bar length while I'm riding?
Exactly.
Its easy to move the rear lines at the end of a bar before you launch. Takes 5 to 10 seconds.
Its a lot cheaper to make and a lot less likely to stop working.

I would like to develop trimming the kite using the rear lines. I think someone will figure out how to do it.

I have bought a couple of the Switch V1 bars to modify as I thought they had a lot of the basics right.
The V2 seems to be a lot closer in price to the bars from other manufacturers but has some of the upgrades I would have wanted.

To me there are two types of bar - for unhooking - or for staying hooked in.
Funnily enough, when you stay hooked in, you no longer need a hook.
For unhooking, I think the Q/R should be part of the spreader bar hook.

For non-unhooking, its easier to have a sliding attachment to the harness.
You don't need a big chickenloop.

Then there is (for me) proper IDS type two front line flagging where the kite will drop on its back with the same pull as a 5th line.
Or one front line flagging which will depower the kite more than two front lines.

I find with one front line flagging I usually need a bigger hole through any swivel it has to pass through than for two front line flagging, because of the joints in the line.

This is a build I am working on now, for single front line flagging. I had to drill out the Nobile stainless steel swivel from 4mm to 6mm using cobalt drills to get the flagging line to pass through. The front lines attach at a Slingshot choad ball.
I would prefer the Wichard to release as a push-away, so I am still considering if I can get that to happen. I am also looking for a stopper that works well on a single line.


Gin had pull/pull rear line trimmers on their bars a few years ago.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why are kite companies still selling bars?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:10 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 2966
woodfu wrote:
ronnie wrote:
How many riders over the years have been riding around thinking I wish I could change my bar length while I'm riding?
Exactly.
Its easy to move the rear lines at the end of a bar before you launch. Takes 5 to 10 seconds.
Its a lot cheaper to make and a lot less likely to stop working.

I would like to develop trimming the kite using the rear lines. I think someone will figure out how to do it.

I have bought a couple of the Switch V1 bars to modify as I thought they had a lot of the basics right.
The V2 seems to be a lot closer in price to the bars from other manufacturers but has some of the upgrades I would have wanted.

To me there are two types of bar - for unhooking - or for staying hooked in.
Funnily enough, when you stay hooked in, you no longer need a hook.
For unhooking, I think the Q/R should be part of the spreader bar hook.

For non-unhooking, its easier to have a sliding attachment to the harness.
You don't need a big chickenloop.

Then there is (for me) proper IDS type two front line flagging where the kite will drop on its back with the same pull as a 5th line.
Or one front line flagging which will depower the kite more than two front lines.

I find with one front line flagging I usually need a bigger hole through any swivel it has to pass through than for two front line flagging, because of the joints in the line.

This is a build I am working on now, for single front line flagging. I had to drill out the Nobile stainless steel swivel from 4mm to 6mm using cobalt drills to get the flagging line to pass through. The front lines attach at a Slingshot choad ball.
I would prefer the Wichard to release as a push-away, so I am still considering if I can get that to happen. I am also looking for a stopper that works well on a single line.


Gin had pull/pull rear line trimmers on their bars a few years ago.


Was that the only trim system and trimmed both rear lines on the fly?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why are kite companies still selling bars?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:55 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 am
Posts: 379
instead of the Wichard as a push away, have you tried using another Cabriha release like you have on the leash to use as the primary?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why are kite companies still selling bars?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:08 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Posts: 1543
Location: Southwestern Ontario
knotwindy wrote:
instead of the Wichard as a push away, have you tried using another Cabriha release like you have on the leash to use as the primary?


This does work FYI. I have used this although I found that the bar was a bit too close to me. It would cause me to over steer when loading and popping into a backroll sending the kite a bit to far across the window causing a down loop situation. I could probably have gotten used to it but decided I have long enough arms with the loop in place.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why are kite companies still selling bars?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 2966
knotwindy wrote:
instead of the Wichard as a push away, have you tried using another Cabriha release like you have on the leash to use as the primary?


I will have a look at that.
I am trying to keep everything as small and simple as possible.

I will grind this Antal thimble down until it can be held securely by the Wichard. That would allow me to reverse the wichard and make it a push away release.

EDIT:
On second thought, I reckon there are too many advantages for keeping the wichard on the rope as in the photo, as you can clip it onto a chickenloop etc. so I will go ahead with making something to turn the wichard into a push away release.


Attachments:
antalwichard.jpg
antalwichard.jpg [ 376.43 KIB | Viewed 126 times ]
Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Do-it, Google [Bot] and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group