rift
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New kites and liability insurance.

Postby rift » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:30 pm

There is an interesting post on nwkite about the dangers of launching a brand new kite in sketchy conditions. In this case the bridles were manufactured wrong and the kiter got seriously hurt. The kite company (Caution) has no liability insurance. I wonder how many kite companies carry insurance?

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-31631

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: New kites and liability insurance.

Postby NYKiter » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:22 pm

wow...thats an eye opener....good thread.... :o
Not sure why his health insurance would not cover his medical?

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm a bit confused here :
Topic author from nwkite wrote: ...
My brand new kite was assembled with the incorrect bridal. I was flying an 8m kite with a 12m bridal installed. Essentially the front lines were 18-22" longer than they should have been, thus, giving the kite no depower and making it sit far back in the wind window.
WHAT method of , (Self-Launch) can a guy use in high winds, that doesn't allow
the him to notice the kite is hanging on back-lines 18-22" shorter than they should be?? :?:

Topic author from nwkite wrote: ... When I asked them for help in covering some of my medical and other expenses
(totally approx. $65,000) I have been left with unanswered emails. ...
Humans can Really SUCK sometimes ; it's Always someone else's Fault !!!

New kites are usually Always out of Tune , (it's common knowledge) --- OK, this one
maybe a bit more than usual, so why risk Hooking-In for a self launch with a New kite, in
High winds ? IF He had anchored the chicken loop down, then tried to set the kite in
the wind-window ; he'd have Known something was wrong , because it would NOT have
stayed in place !! Also, the moment he grabbed the bar, the kite wouldn't have flown
correctly, BUT he wouldn't have bin Hooked in, so No medical bills, other than
the ER cost for the kite repair.

If i find out there's a lawsuit ; i'll be heading up to testify Against the guy !!

Bille

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:05 pm

Billie you wrong on this. The accident was caused by an error on the manufacturing of the kite. Are saying that you as a User should have to test everything you buy because that is the result of your argument. At what level of testing is it reasonable to say it is a factory error?

I bet the no answering of emails is on lawyer advice.
Last edited by tautologies on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hightimes
Frequent Poster

Postby hightimes » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:14 pm

I wonder if parachute buyers jump out of a plane without checking the chute first.
Standard procedure to test new kites or bars in safe conditions first.

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Postby vkngktr » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:07 pm

Im all for personal responsibility however after reading the thread it appears this was a manufacturers defect. No where in any manual of any kite i've purchased does it warn the user to make sure the kite was built correctly. Nor do most kite companies tell you what the proper bridal lengths are. I own a business and I take responsibility for any errors on my part. In that case its my personal responsibility. Its not a case of blaming someone else its holding those causing the defect responsible. If someone bought my product or service and it caused harm because if my error I surely would feel that way.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:18 pm

hightimes wrote:I wonder if parachute buyers jump out of a plane without checking the chute first.
Standard procedure to test new kites or bars in safe conditions first.
Thats not a great example because the kite probably looked perfectly fine. I bet you that you would never see an error like that. A bridle error will probably not be seen until the kite is powered up. Absolutely no one here measures the bridles of their new kite...and barely anyone would know what the bridle length should be.

Yes the pilot must have made some mistakes somewhere, since the kite powered like crazy but still.

Do you check that there are no errors on every aspect of every single product you buy? Your life would become unmanageable.

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 pm

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
- Voltaire

Common sense is forcing me to check my kite products (new AND used) of accuracy and proper manufacturing. This is especially true for bars, lines and safety features. The labels (line length, kite material ...) don't mean anything to me. My first launch with a new kite is on a wide beach, flying it for at least 30 min dry trimming and rigging it.
My point is: As long as it is within my range of knowledge and comprehension I will go over my stuff with a fine comb. Nothing worse (and deadly) having an asymmetrical kite or harness.
Sure, I don't have x-ray vision, but we need to develop a deeper sense of 'control' for self-preservation.

Safety is just plain risk mitigation.

peace

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:49 pm

Dr Makani wrote:No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
- Voltaire
peace
Caution in this case is far from a snowflake... What if you bought a brand new car and the first time you turned it on it takes off and smashes into a crowd of people killing several of them and then you as you come to rest against the side of a building....? Who's fault is that... Should the driver have the vehicle checked out before hand? As a consumer we have to trust that vendors are in fact selling us goods that perform as we expect them too as experienced kiters would.

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Postby vkngktr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:01 am

Agreed Laughingman