Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Surf 5/8/12 (4G)

Postby plummet » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:40 pm

just a minute, am i missing something?

Where is the 10m?

round here 10m is the most used size!.... why would you not release a 10?

I would think 10m sized kites are the most sold around the globe??

I don't understand.

Personally i think quivers should be in 2 or 3m gaps max (excluding monster kites). 4m is too big. particularly in the prime wind between 16-30 knots.

So...

or better

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:14 am

I think maybe 8 is the new 10 :thumb:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:02 am

Nice video windsuks.
No need for a 10 meter. The SURF 8 is a very powerful kite but the good thing about it is that you can kill the power at any time.
Wait until you try the SURF 12. You won't believe how fast that 12 meter turns. The KITEBOARDING mag thought it was a 9 meter the way it was turning.

VIMEO:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:21 am

Well this kite has a unique profile for sure, very interested to run it up against the good wave kites here. Might be a good addition for the coming winter swells... :wink:

Actually nigel be good to get a crack on the renegade to if that's possible never did get on that kite...talk soon. Have fun at kitestock, looks like the wind may play ball after all...still I think it's a hit and miss proposal having it when they do.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ

Postby plummet » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:40 am

Dimitri M wrote: No need for a 10 meter. The SURF 8 is a very powerful kite but the good thing about it is that you can kill the
I don't believe you.

12,8,5 would make a horrible quiver round here.
a powerfull 8still doesn't make a 10.... if your 8 is powerful then the 12 and 5 should also be powerfull.... unless you have branded a 11m a 12 and a 9m an 8.....

a 4m gap is too big between kites. It really is.

Either way its a major marketing blunder.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:38 am

We were running four line C kites every two meters ten years ago.
With all the range that every kite company claims these days, I'm surprised that so many kiters still want/need a kite every two meters.
I know several kiters who get away with two kite quivers, I use a three kite quiver.
I guess Epic could always add a 10M between the 8 and 12!

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:21 am

Oldnbroken wrote:We were running four line C kites every two meters ten years ago.
With all the range that every kite company claims these days, I'm surprised that so many kiters still want/need a kite every two meters.
I know several kiters who get away with two kite quivers, I use a three kite quiver.
I guess Epic could always add a 10M between the 8 and 12!

well said :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ

Postby plummet » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:10 am

Sure you can run a bigger gap. But if you want to ride perfectly powered then 2m gap is sweet if you can afford it.

Running a 12-8 combo for example will see you either over powered on the 12 or underpowered on the 8 in the ideal winds. Guess what kite size would be perfect?.... 10m..

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:05 pm

I would have to agree with Plummett 4m gap in the smaller sizes (before the bigger lighter wind kites is too much). You would be second guessing on a lot of days. Will I be underdone, over done.

3m gap would be fine...12/9 combo...it is relatively easy to work on this gap with modern kites, 2m not necessary (hence don't agree with Plummett), but 4m nah, not sure about this.

Although I did run a 2m gap for a bit on my two main used kites and it did really allow you to dial in the sweet spot, so agree on this point. Went the 3m gap so I could get away with a 3 kite quiver although a smaller winter 4th kite is on the cards.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:05 pm

Sorry guys but again the SURF kite was designed specifically for the waves. This is not a normal kite for the average joe. If you are looking for the average Joe kite then go with the RENEGADE 6.5/9/11/13/Infinity or push your limits with the SCREAMER 7/9/10/12/14. We designed the SURF kite around these sizes (5/8/12) so you don't have to carry a bunch of sizes with you. So before you start saying negative things about the sizing, please get a chance to try these kites so you can see what the SURF kite is capable of, and why Momi and I went with these sizes.

Once again my dear "plummet" it's not a "major marketing blunder" like you mention in your previous post. It's just a kite that has tons of power and because of its angle of attack and crazy shape, you can control how much power you want on the kite.
So the SURF 8 meter kite can feel like a (7,8,9,10,11 meter) kite, depending on where you position your bar, how fast you move the kite and what length of lines you are using. The SURF 5 meter kite can feel like a (4,5,6,7,8 meter) kite depending on where you position your bar, how fast you move the kite and what length of lines you are using. And the SURF 12 meter kite can feel like a (10,11,12,13,14 meter) kite depending on where you position your bar, how fast you move the kite and what length of lines you are using. But most important it's the shape of the kite that makes this happen. So in few words you can actually get away with only one kite depending the place you kite. For example my quiver can be only the SURF 8 as a one quiver kite and use it with 22 meter lines for more power or 18 meter lines or even 15 meter lines for when the wind picks up. I have used the SURF 8 with a surf board of course from (12 to 32 mph). I even tried the SURF 8 in (9 to 13 mph) but could not stay up wind and had to do a down winder. But at least I was moving when every body else was on 14 meter kites.
So once again, try the kite and then bash it as much as you want.

MADE BY THE RIDERS FOR THE RIDERS. This is what this company is all about.

Return to “Kitesurfing”