Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Surf 5/8/12 (4G)

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

The Surf 5/8/12 (4G)

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:08 am

Epic News:

The Surf 5/8/12 (4G)

Hello fellow kiters and Happy New Year to all of you.
I know many of you have been waiting for the SURF kite model to come out. We have been working very hard for quite some time now with lots prototypes and I am very happy to finally introduce you the S U R F (5/8/12) kite.
Honestly kite surfing has never been so much fun in the waves. The new and unique shaped wave kite from Epic Kites called the SURF, lets riders surf and feel the wave as never before.
The all-new SURF kite is the latest model in our dedicated kite line-up, finding a home between the big boosting Screamer and the all-terrain Renegade. The SURF kite uses a unique leading edge design and is available in 5, 8 and 12-meter sizes. The low aspect kite boasts ultra fast relaunch, very quick and snappy pivotal turns while delivering smooth power through those turns. (Even one of the magazine while testing the SURF 12m had to take it down and measure it because they could not believe how fast the kite was pivoting on its axis. They thought it was a 9 meter kite.)
The deep profile allows it to sit back in the window resulting in some very impressive power and drifting ability while surfing the wave. The very efficient upwind capability will have you back in the line-up in a flash.
The SURF uses the Epic’s XTEND bar on 22-meter lines. But for better performance you will find an extra set of 18 meter lines in the pocket of the SURF bag. The Bar pressure is on the lighter side, but provides adequate positional feedback for those moments in the barrel when you can’t actually see the kite. On the rare occasions when you drop your kite don’t worry; it’s been reinforced for the punishment.
So in few words, all these will enhance your wave riding experience. Also make sure to check the REEF surf boards.

The large bag that comes with the SURF kite includes a host of goodies such as:
-An additional inner sleeve bag so you can leave your struts inflated and keep your kite dry.
-A set of 18 meter lines so you can fly the SURF on 18 meter lines for better performance in the waves.
-Side pockets for your surf fins and Wax.
-Repair KITEAID kit.
-Extra Clip, patch, zip ties and a tube.
-Pump & Strap.

The SURF 5/8/12 will be available by the end of February. If you are interested in pre-ordering yours then make sure to get in touch with us at: helen@epickites.com because we have a very limited quantities available.
Attachments
IMG_3605 18.jpg
DSC_0008 3.jpg
DSC_0011 1.jpg
DSC_0010 2.jpg
DSC_0024 5.jpg
G0020222 1.jpg
GPV-19 3.jpg
GPV-12 2.jpg
GPV-4 1.jpg
GP2_0229 4.jpg
DSC_0112 27.jpg
DSC_0115 28.jpg
photo 3 29.jpg
IMG_4003 34.jpg
IMG_4012 33.jpg
photo 1 26.jpg
IMG_4020 1.jpg
IMG_4115 7.jpg
IMG_4136 13.jpg
IMG_4123 9.jpg
IMG_4117 8.jpg
IMG_4072 20.jpg
IMG_4074 18.jpg
IMG_4078 21.jpg
IMG_4097 19.jpg
IMG_4128.jpg
IMG_4124 10.jpg
IMG_4130 11.jpg
photo 2 31.jpg
IMG_4151 56.jpg

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: The SURF 5/8/12 (4G)

Postby NYKiter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:39 am

Really sweet kite. Looks very similar to a North Fuse.
Great looking bumpers, attachments and inflate. Love the narrow struts, like the REV.
Would like to try it, badass!!
:thumb:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:07 am

Yep me too. This kite looks so unique. Please keep one back for demo in April....?

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby peterheirman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:27 pm

I approve and appreciate that there are 2 valves:
- One normal
- One fast inflation valve
Personally I would never use the fast inflation valve as I am afraid of sand getting into the thread as I pump on sandy beaches with flying and pecking sand: within seconds you get sand into the thread and it starts leaking.
Please note that I use only small kites 7m and 5m so the difference in pumping is minimal - and a leaking valve is annoying and costs me more time loss.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:00 pm

Looks like an interesting design and nice gfx. Only thing I can think it looks a bit like is the Naish Helix.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Laughingman wrote:Yep me too. This kite looks so unique. Please keep one back for demo in April....?
Really? I'm the only one who thinks this kite looks a lot like the 2010 helix?
It was a great kite back then.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:55 pm

tautologies wrote:
Laughingman wrote:Yep me too. This kite looks so unique. Please keep one back for demo in April....?

I see the similarity... Both have a segmented and angled leading edge but if you look closely side by side the differencs become very obvious.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Re: The Surf 5/8/12 (4G)

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:25 pm

I am sorry to disappoint you Mr.tautologies but if you pay attention to both of these kites you will see that Mr.Laughingman is 100% correct. They are totally different from each other.
I have attached more pictures so you get a better understanding of the different shape between the SURF and the Helix model from Naish. I understand you are a team rider for Naish, but I see you do have a big interest in the EPIC kites since you are always on it.
:thumb:

P.S. Working on the SURF video so you get a better understanding of what the SURF kite is all about.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-01-05 at 4.13.43 PM.png
IMG_4122 1.jpg
IMG_4080 2.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-01-05 at 4.15.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-05 at 4.15.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-05 at 4.14.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-05 at 4.13.23 PM.png

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 am

tautologies wrote:
Its outline looks different from the Helix to be honest and the bridle setup is different. However it is obviously based about this "type" of design or atleast is closer to it than other kites.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The Surf 5/8/12 (4G)

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 am

Poster: peterheirman
I approve and appreciate that there are 2 valves:
- One normal
- One fast inflation valve
Personally I would never use the fast inflation valve as I am afraid of sand getting into the thread as I pump on sandy beaches with flying and pecking sand: within seconds you get sand into the thread and it starts leaking.
Please note that I use only small kites 7m and 5m so the difference in pumping is minimal - and a leaking valve is annoying and costs me more time loss.
You are correct Mr.peterheirman about the sand. This is also one of the reasons why I don't like these Big Inflate/Deflate valves because of the sand getting into them, and some times this might create a small problem if you don't pay attention or don't take care of it. So in few words, you need to be more careful with these types of valves. This is why I did add a 2nd type of Inflate valve on the Leading Edge of the kite, so you don't have to worry about the sand while pumping your kite. (see attached pictures bellow) The only time you would have to mess with the Big Inflate/Deflate valve will be when you want to deflate the kite fast. But then, all you have to do will be to bring the LE of the kite chest high and untwist the big valve so the sand can't reach it. Then when its time to role make sure to put the Neoprene cap on top and leave the valve open inside the Neoprene cap. But do this before putting the kite down again. This will keep the sand from getting inside the Big Inflate/Deflate valve while you are rolling the kite.
Attachments
Very sandy and windy.jpg
IMG_4137.jpg
photo 3 29.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”