Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Surf 5/8/12 (4G)

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:03 pm

I think it was a good idea to first introduce the Surf :surf: kite like that

A 12 and a 5.......and put in between an 8 :thumb:

3 kite sizes keeps the production cost down :cash: for it's initial release....wise move

Maybe for the Surf 2 version next year there will be a 10 added....who knows maybe even a 6

Personally i have a 10 Reb that i use at times...but more often than none i go from 12 to 8 (i'm 75kg)

Must say i go more often from 8 to 6 than from 8 to 5 (Rebs are also powerful kites)

Yes if you can afford it is nice to have 2m gaps from 12 down to 6 and then 1m gap smaller than 6

Just my 2-4 cents on this date 02/04 2014 :cheers:

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby BigPaul » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:09 pm

Well I'm heading over to the Frozen Jam - here in the UK that Blast are putting on. Really looking forward to checking out the Epic range. The Surf kite being my first choice just because is so new (i'm not a surfer) I'd also like to check out the infinity :) :thumb:

I'm an Epic virgin so this should be good

Regards

Paul

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:51 pm

Dimitri M wrote:Sorry guys but again the SURF kite was designed specifically for the waves. This is not a normal kite for the average joe. If you are looking for the average Joe kite then go with the RENEGADE 6.5/9/11/13/Infinity or push your limits with the SCREAMER 7/9/10/12/14. We designed the SURF kite around these sizes (5/8/12) so you don't have to carry a bunch of sizes with you. So before you start saying negative things about the sizing, please get a chance to try these kites so you can see what the SURF kite is capable of, and why Momi and I went with these sizes.

Once again my dear "plummet" it's not a "major marketing blunder" like you mention in your previous post. It's just a kite that has tons of power and because of its angle of attack and crazy shape, you can control how much power you want on the kite.
So the SURF 8 meter kite can feel like a (7,8,9,10,11 meter) kite, depending on where you position your bar, how fast you move the kite and what length of lines you are using. The SURF 5 meter kite can feel like a (4,5,6,7,8 meter) kite depending on where you position your bar, how fast you move the kite and what length of lines you are using. And the SURF 12 meter kite can feel like a (10,11,12,13,14 meter) kite depending on where you position your bar, how fast you move the kite and what length of lines you are using. But most important it's the shape of the kite that makes this happen. So in few words you can actually get away with only one kite depending the place you kite. For example my quiver can be only the SURF 8 as a one quiver kite and use it with 22 meter lines for more power or 18 meter lines or even 15 meter lines for when the wind picks up. I have used the SURF 8 with a surf board of course from (12 to 32 mph). I even tried the SURF 8 in (9 to 13 mph) but could not stay up wind and had to do a down winder. But at least I was moving when every body else was on 14 meter kites.
So once again, try the kite and then bash it as much as you want.

MADE BY THE RIDERS FOR THE RIDERS. This is what this company is all about.
Man that's the worst lot of marketing bollocks I've heard in a long time.

I don't think your listening to what I'm saying. Common wave riders sizing is either 2 or 3 meter gaps. Calling your kites 12,8,5 will loose you sales because a great majority of riders will be either be wanting 12,10,8,6 or 12,9,6 sizing maybe even 13,10,7. very few will want 12,8,5 combo.

Even if your 8 is the same power as a 9 the number on the side will put a lot of people off.

Is it a marketing blunder? yes it is. If you had badged them 12,9,6 you would have sold more.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Normally I might agree with you plummet....but then again this is no normal kite and Dimitri is no normal guy. :lol:

I know D pushes the Epic brand as best he can (especially on KF) but it is not always just about the $

It seems Epic don't (just) do normal :thumb:

ps the day I tried the 8m in the vid above everyone was on 12's or bigger including one guy on an Infinity...I was ripping upwind probably more than anyone else, poss down to ability etc but I reckon I was easily as powered as I would have been on my 9m Renegade which in turn is as powerful as many 10's
The 9m Renegade is generally the biggest kite I use but I think now it maybe the 8m Surf

Maybe he could have labelled them 6/9/12 like many brands may or may not have done but then again he's just put on them what they are, rather than just lie.

Most kites these days have such a huge wind range the old thumb rules are disappearing fast, a 12m used to be the main size kite used here a few years back now it's more 9's that I see. Maybe as mentioned above more sizes may follow in the future but for me personally the sizes should work just fine.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Been thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:19 pm

After using a few different Epic kites I agree with Windsuks! If the surf is anything like the Judge than it is going to be a very powerful kite (very easy to manage power)! I have been bugging Dimitri in the past about making a 13m Judge kite but after using the 8m I am sure that the 11m is quite powerful as well! The 11m judge is next on my hit list but the surf 5m is the one that I want for my high wind kite and would be fun in our waves on the Great Lakes (Superior and Huron)! I like the fact that Dimitri is accessible and legitimately interested in what riders are looking for! I don't mind the sizing and I am sure that like SupaEz pointed out that other sizing can be slotted in with the demand for those kites.

James

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:49 pm

plummet wrote:
If you had badged them 12,9,6 you would have sold more.

I hear you .....and it think some kite sizing printed on wingtips are not always exactly the real size

It is totally OK to print on a kite ....."17 " for example ....even if it's true flat size is 17.8m2

But if a kite is 18.2m2 it has to be called an 18m2

Sometime we wonder what is going when a kite size "x" pulls a larger kite size "z"

Who knows.. i am only shooting the breeze with this...those are not facts for that kite..just examples
...The Surf true flat sizes may be 12.3m2.....8.6m2....5.5m2.....and it is sold as 12-8-5

More of my no-nonsense 2-4 cents on 02/04 2014 :cheers:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Ok ive had my rant. Lets move on.
The kite looks interesting. Ill be interested to here reviews from non sponsered riders.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:35 pm

plummet wrote:
Ill be interested to here reviews from non sponsered riders.
Me too, hopefully we will get some independent riders on them soon especially with an event coming up in just over a week.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:56 pm

windsuks wrote:
plummet wrote:
Ill be interested to here reviews from non sponsered riders.
Me too, hopefully we will get some independent riders on them soon especially with an event coming up in just over a week.
:D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:14 pm

plummet wrote:Ok ive had my rant. Lets move on.
The kite looks interesting. Ill be interested to here reviews from non sponsered riders.

On surfboards in some serious conditions, where any weaknesses will be apparent and any strengths will shine. Any kite can be 'used' in the waves, hence why we see so many marketing blurbs about kites about they are 'decent' in the waves, but will it hold up for the average rider (not dimitri, he's a freak) when it really counts. That's what I'm keen to read about and also it ridden back to back with the known top wave kites out there.

I'm also intrigued by the claim that where you position the bar etc etc affects power delivery and hence the 'relative' size of the kite. A very powerful wing and wave riding....true wave riding...not sure...we will see.

Return to “Kitesurfing”