Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which US state for RV tour in June? Waves+wind appreciated.

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Which US state for RV tour in June? Waves+wind appreciated.

Postby omg » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Cheers,

I am planning to do in June about four week long tour somewhere in US and renting an RV to drive around for strapless kitesurfing and sightseeing and SUP (and shopping ) with my wife.

I am very happy with smaller waves (up to head high) as long as they are nice and water not overly choppy, but the kite size should be ~9m2 to have fun in the waves.

Which state would you choose for this one trip, please?

Your input highly appreciated! :P

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Which US state for RV tour in June? Waves+wind appreciat

Postby SSK » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:18 pm

I would think the logical choice is the Central CA coast. If flying in you could land in LA and travel the Coast up to Santa Cruz or go even farther North. Or land in San Fran and start there. This is prime season for kiting in CA. Lots of Wind, waves, and unbelievable scenery. Several well known places from Ventura all the way to San Luis Obisbo. Then drive through Big Sur (most unbelievable scenery) and up to Santa Cruz for the most famous kitesurfing spots in CA. You May want to hit the Bay Area too if you never been there.
Hatteras is very windy in June also, but most often June is not the best time for waves. However, last June saw lots of ocean sessions and lots of wind. Spring and Fall is better for waves. Corpus/SPI would also be very windy with small waves.
The Oregon and Washington coasts are probably real good too this time of year, but I have no experience so someone else will have to provide the gouge.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:44 pm

thank you very much!

Do you know, how's Corpus Christi in June, meaning wind and waves? I tried to find info but what I got is that everyone talked about waves in winter time, I couldn't find much on summer time. Also, if the wind is ok for 9 meter kites?

saildawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Kootenay Lake
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox, Hood River, Squamish, Oregon Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot
Been thanked: 0

Postby saildawg » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Oregon has allot going for it. The "Gorge" of course. The coast has many good spots with waves: http://www.destinationkiteboarding.com/ ... regon.html

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:29 pm

I grew up in Southern California- granted i have lived there for 30 years but the climate has not changed. I windsurfed a lot in 78-84 in Santa Barbara and south. Raced sail boats in SB. super light wind.

So Cal will have bad wind in June- big risk for June Gloom and overcast at beach in mornings in early June
Dont know about Santa Cruz or SF bay area. could be good. I know its better later in summer as land heats up. Not a wave place in the bay.

So Cal would be the last place i would go in June...

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board
Been thanked: 0

Postby Thor SFBay » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:41 pm

June is usually a good month in the San Francisco Bay Area. An RV would be particularly good for kiting at Sherman Island (there is RV parking right next to the launch), but that's inland and so there is no surfing. There are lots of kite spots to explore including Waddell Creek, which is the best kiting spot for waves (just north of Santa Cruz). As far as using a 9m kite goes... that depends on your weight, whether you are surfing, cruising, or jumping and your skill level. It doesn't make any sense at all to try to plan a kite vacation around one kite size. I weigh 190lbs and use a 9m and 12m Naish Park for kiting the Bay. (The 12m gets used over 80% of the time). If I were surfing, I'd add a 7m.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:13 pm

omg wrote:thank you very much!

Do you know, how's Corpus Christi in June, meaning wind and waves? I tried to find info but what I got is that everyone talked about waves in winter time, I couldn't find much on summer time. Also, if the wind is ok for 9 meter kites?
Corpus is good all year long. I don't know about Port Aransas though and thats where you would have to go for waves. Wildcat the main bay spot does have some nice knee high waves from the bay but they don't really have any weight to push you on a smaller board. For more info try contacting the folks at kiteboarding.com. They can give you all the info for the area thats where they are from.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:27 am

Start in Boston/Cape Cod and work your way down to the Outer Banks.
Great riding , scenery , variety, and Shopping. Late May into early June would be better. More wind and empty beaches..

Return to “Kitesurfing”