Riding waves backside....

forum for kitesurfers

mowaves
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Riding waves backside....

Postby mowaves » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:09 pm

I hate hearing people say one thing is more pure over another. Water sports are to me an escape from reality and just a way of having fun so do whatever makes you happy. I really don't care what I look like out there, I don't get enough good wave sessions in to take the time to practice backhand too much. So if its good and left, I'm riding backside because I don't want to be wasting waves.

Conditions are always better for one of the two; kiting or surfing, and you better believe I am packed up with all my gear to ensure I have the most fun possible. There are already plenty of kiters and surfers so this is dangerous, but I do feel bad for the guys who either only kite or only surf. The two sports compliment each other and definitely around here, it just makes so much sense to do both. I've helped a few cross over...

Now hearing that surfing is the purest form of waveriding...I think a few would disagree...

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:35 pm

well said.
:thumb:

Bob Marley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1988
Style: Jumps and waves
Gear: Small c kites that don't have bridles and no 5th line. Epoxy surfboards.

Postby Bob Marley » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:51 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
NYKiter wrote:Surfing is the ancestor of kitesurfing waves and it will always be cooler, more difficult and more fun than kitesurfing waves. Surfing has been in existence for hundreds of years. Kitesurfing is in its infancy. In surfing, the board becomes a complete extension of the body. There is no worrying about where the kite is or what its doing. The focus is 100% on the wave. It is the purist wave sport on the planet hands down - just you and the board, nothing else. Learning to ride a short board proficiently takes years. Any dolt with a kite can learn to ride a wave in months. Surfing will ALWAYS rule over kitesurfing.
Completely disagree :o

With that view one seems like a wannabee copycat, and not a real kitesurfer IMO :roll:

Surfing and kitesurfing in waves are two very different sports, not to be compared - still, so many do compare :wink:

8) Peter

Yes I!!!!!!!!!!

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:20 am

Kitesurfers do their best wave riding backside when they are on their toeside side...and have a blast doing it !!

For me a North wind sideshore (from the left my beach faces due East) i head out heelside and turn on wave toeside

On that toeside (natural) i can either track upwind frontside on the wave or go off the wind riding the wave backside

If you ride goofy (right foot forward) then a wind from the right (South sideshore) would yield same results

The majority of kitesurfers can switch their "heelside side" but very few can switch their favored "toeside side"

Every experienced kitesurfers out there regularily switch / jibe to end up on heelside

Sooner or later you have to ride waves backside ..when on toeside.. just enjoy the view looking down the wave face

Forcing yourself to switch from your prefered toeside side and go on your bad toeside side just to ride frontside ......
....will surely look like s**t

:surf: :happybirthday:

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:36 am

If you don't have the surfing foundation, relatively speaking, everything you do on a wave will look like shit anyhow....
Look at the best wave kitesurfers, they are all expert level surfers...
mitu, wilson, alldredge...yada yada...its that simple.

I'm no pro surfer, but kite surfers without surfing backgrounds who act as style ambassadors for riding waves by opening up a thread like this are laughable...

(no offense to the real Bob)

Bob Marley
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Marley » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:13 am

Real wave kiters ride frontside facing the wave. Rights or lefts. No matter where I go I ride the wave facing it. Backside are good for beginners but don't call it wave riding because you aren't... its more like doing a turn on a wave.

Bob Marley
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Marley » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:15 am

If you can only ride regular or goofy it will feel awkward at first riding switch on a wave but you will eventually realize riding frontside allows for more free movement and stronger turns.

Bob Marley
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Marley » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:21 am

NYKiter wrote:If you don't have the surfing foundation, relatively speaking, everything you do on a wave will look like shit anyhow....
Look at the best wave kitesurfers, they are all expert level surfers...
mitu, wilson, alldredge...yada yada...its that simple.

I'm no pro surfer, but kite surfers without surfing backgrounds who act as style ambassadors for riding waves by opening up a thread like this are laughable...

(no offense to the real Bob)

Ive seen plenty of surfers take up kiting and am not impressed. Seen Kelly Slater kiting... he sucks. Kiting is a different ball game.

Being a surfer will not help your kiting beyond basic beginner level and if anything may hold you back from stepping outside your comfort zone and doing things like jumping or riding switch on a wave.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:33 am

Bob Marley wrote:
plummet wrote:Who cares what it looks like as long as your having fun. The guy with the biggest grin on the beach wins. If your constantly consumed with what others think then you don't understand how to live.

The reason riding waves frontside looks better is because it's more fun. If you don't get that then you don't know how to ride waves properly. Riding backside or going up the line is not real wave riding.
Hehe. I'm enjoying your trolling attempt. Your have sucked a few people in. I will bite just because i'm in the mood.

Fun. Is a relative term. One persons fun is another persons hate.
So... simply stating one way is more fun is incorrect. It may be more fun for you... but that doesn't mean its more fun for others.

PS I do ride down the line front side...... But for most of the time prefer riding up the line heal side!....... Oh my,oh dear what blasphemy that I prefer something different. I also prefer to boost than pure wave ride, and perfer a mutant than a surfboard.... Oh the Sacrilege. How dear i deflower a wave with such unpurist heathenistic behaviour.
I will repent my sins instantly and only ride waves front side from now on!

How many "Hail Bob Marley's" do I have to sing in this church of wave riding comformity?

Bob Marley
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Marley » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:40 am

plummet wrote:
Bob Marley wrote:
plummet wrote:Who cares what it looks like as long as your having fun. The guy with the biggest grin on the beach wins. If your constantly consumed with what others think then you don't understand how to live.

The reason riding waves frontside looks better is because it's more fun. If you don't get that then you don't know how to ride waves properly. Riding backside or going up the line is not real wave riding.
Hehe. I'm enjoying your trolling attempt. Your have sucked a few people in. I will bite just because i'm in the mood.

Fun. Is a relative term. One persons fun is another persons hate.
So... simply stating one way is more fun is incorrect. It may be more fun for you... but that doesn't mean its more fun for others.

PS I do ride down the line front side...... But for most of the time prefer riding up the line heal side!....... Oh my,oh dear what blasphemy that I prefer something different. I also prefer to boost than pure wave ride, and perfer a mutant than a surfboard.... Oh the Sacrilege. How dear i deflower a wave with such unpurist heathenistic behaviour.
I will repent my sins instantly and only ride waves front side from now on!

How many "Hail Bob Marley's" do I have to sing in this church of wave riding comformity?

You will be happier for riding frontside from now on. Stick with it and it will come to you. Also try to replace that mutant with a surfboard ( without straps). You're welcome.

Return to “Kitesurfing”