Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Light wind kite testing!

Postby OceanAdventures » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:28 am

Burn45 wrote:Thank you guys for the review!
Im a 6'3" 225 pounds guy who is in freeridind, wave, and freestyle. I got 7,9,12m North Evos...and was heading to buy a 2014 Turbine. After your review, i hesitate between the Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 or the Turbine.
My question: whitch of those two kites have the best built quality? By the way, im a Canadian and proud to see that Ocean Rodeo is on the map for light wind kites. Thanks for your time and help!!!
I would say there is no noticeable difference in the quality between the slingshot and the OR. both are very good.

I cannot comment on the wave, but the free ride and freestyle abilities are good on both. Like many commented that the speed makes the OR more fun. You won't have buyers remorse either way you go. I would think the faster turning kite would be better in waves... But I have been wrong before, just ask my ex-wife, haha.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:49 pm

Hello guys,
Just wanted to let you know that I was able to test the INFINITY V3 that XLKites/OceanAdventure shipped back to me. And the reason why the kite did not fly the way it should fly was because of few minor things on the bar set up. Just so you know, the kite was perfectly fine. This is what was making the kite not perform the way it's know to perform:

1) One of the steering lines were 10cm too long
2) The Depower strap was fully pulled in so I hope they did not fly the kite with the strap full depowered. Its like driving a car with the Hand Break on.
3) The bar had the 5 meter extension lines added to the 22 meter. People have to understand that the INFINITY comes with 5 meter extension lines in the bag, so riders over 240 lbs can add these extension lines for more power, but they will loose some of its performance such turning speed and direct feel of the kite. But for riders that are between 150 to 230 lbs the INFINITY V3 performs the best with 22 meter lines. So fly the kite with the 22 meter lines. No need to make it 27 meter lines. All the videos you see of me in very light wind is with 22 meter lines only. All the testimonials we have from magazines and kiters is with the 22 meter lines. Rarely you will be using these 5 meter extension lines.

So in few words I removed these 5 meter lines, fixed one of the flying lines of the bar and made the bar perfectly straight and launched the INFINITY V3 on 22 meter lines. The kite flew perfectly the way its suppose to.
I did sent an email to XLKites/OceanAdventures and told them I was going to try to ship the kite today and if I can't make it to the Fed Ex location will send it tomorrow morning so they can test it again and see what this kite is all about. But I asked them to test it in light wind 7 to 12 knots max because 15 to 20 knots all kites fly well.
Any way I did sent an email to the factory and ask them to pay more attention when setting up the bar & lines.

P.S. If you want to read more about this and see pictures then go to the EPICKITES 4G link in order to get a better understand to what I did.
viewtopic.php?t=2381074&p=827036

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:39 pm

:thumb: Great detailed report ...glad it was not your nice light wind kite's fault...i had a feeling :wink:

I feel very strongly the same about the 19 XR3 line length

It performs at it's best on the standard 24 m lines...because of the new shorter bridle

It was tested with the 3m extensions on which does not give it full justice...but good for 240+ riders

It would have had so much more depower...18 kn is Ez... and just as much low end..on the 24m

That kite is very fast & as per the testers...as fast as all the 17's tested....on only a small 52cm bar

On the 24m it is even more fun and loops + turns even better....fantastic for playing in waves

The XR3 19 works best when back lines are tuned / adjusted with just a slight sag in them...when...
....trimmer all the way out for full power....bar pulled all the way in for full power

That is the best way to tune...it will not backstall...even in 6 kn of wind directly over head

So make those back lines as loose as needed by going under the bar floats and loosening

Attach back lines on the last outward knot of the wingtip pigtail

Set turning speed on wingtip to fast instead of super fast to get more bar trow efficiency

People muscle memory excuse for QR is lame....push...twist...just do it ...not rocket science

Having a twist QR increases the bar trow by 2 inches...a push QR takes away 2 inches of trow

You can bring the bar in 2 inches closer to you ... good feature for shorter arms

:cheers: :dance:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Yes SupaEZ above 24 meters is too long for a FreeRide kite. Its good for a Race kite but not for a FreeRide kite. For example the RACER 11/14/17 kite that we have comes with 27 meter lines. Race kites needs to have long lines so they can catch all the power and race up wind or down wind. But that is not what the INFINITY is all about. If they want a race kite I will send them the RACER 17 kite to demo.
Personally I believe 22 meters are the perfect length for the INFINITY and having more then 22 meters will add more drag and more weight on the lines giving you a less performing kite for Free Ride.
So guys once you receive the INFINITY v3 kite back, please use it with the 22 meter lines that are one the bar. Then if you want after your test you can always add the 5 meter extension lines to the 22 meters so you can see the big difference.

Thanks again for all your time and patience.
Last edited by Dimitri M on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby jbdc » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 pm

It's disturbing to see you guys in such heated agreement. :lol:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:42 pm

jbdc wrote:It's disturbing to see you guys in such heated agreement. :lol:
The Florida heat may be the reason.... 77 degrees for me....and he is in the Keys...lower 80's

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:16 pm

OceanAdventures wrote:We had one of the best conditions for a light wind test today. 5 riders, winds 9-11mph.

Your 4 riders sounded excited and happy from riding the 19m2 Riot XR3...that's great...Thank you

Pull is fantastic
Turns really fast ......as fast as the 17's we tested
Neat kite pulls really good makes you stay upwind....turns fast...fun
Love everything about it....gets me upwind like crazy
Hard to believe a 19 turns so well with such a small bar
I like the pull...nice flying kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”