Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Light wind kite testing!

Postby MACTNKA » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:12 pm

I want to see all those kites with the same size bar as well! The reason why some manufacturers only have one size bar could be that they want to make them cheaper for customers( Core, F-one etc.) The reason is marketing not because they think it's the ultimate setup!

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:03 pm

OceanAdventures wrote:
We have decided to fly the kites with their own bars, so it would be a fair comparison on how the customer would get the kite. Some bars are longer, some are shorter. We want to give you the best test as if you would have the kite in your own hands. If we flew them all on 27m lines but when you buy them they only have 24m lines, that may change the way that person see's the kite.

If they come with line extensions we will use them, but we are going to assume that the guys paid to design the kites are giving us the best setup for their particular kite.
I get what you are saying... I didn't research all the stock lengths now, but I assume most of them come with 27m?

In that case, you could just add the extensions on the few ones that come with 24m, just to get the an even picture... In my case, my shop gave me extensions without me even asking for it when I picked up my Contra for the maximum lowend... just saying... Cab should have included them directly, but who knows why they didn't (costs, environment, they just forgot, etc.)

I assume most of the people who buy such a kite, will have line extensions at home anyway... or their shop will give it to them when they buy it... and no doubt, they will put them on in less than 10knts conditions...

slightlyimperfect
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Slave Lake
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise

Postby slightlyimperfect » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:04 pm

I disagree. Each kite should be flown with its own respective bar. That's how it was designed in the first place, and how it would be purchased by the consumer.

More importnt would be the sme board being used by the sme rider from kite to kite.

Also it would be great to test with a big twin tip and then with a race / sector ech kite!

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Just to be clear - I don't mean "a different bar"... I am talking about "line lengths" and the usual extensions used for lightwinds...

let's say kite A comes with 27m and B with 24m...

Based on the "reviews, own testing, etc." you like kite B... e.g. it might have a tad better upper end and it turns a bit faster... BUT, kite A's lowend is just a bit better...

In the end, you might go for kite A since the lowend is better... this might be a good decision since this is how you get them "stock", however, if you would have bought B (your shop would have given you the extensions probably anyway), you might have gotten your preferred kite & the same lowend for the marginal conditions...

______

I get what you mean about "stock"... just saying, if you go through all this effort for this test and fly those beasts for quite a bit, it might not hurt to throw the extensions on and see...
...after all, my point is: this is what the end customer would do (and isn't this what you wanna test anyway...)

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 pm

OceanAdventures wrote: I'm not testing for the best 17m kite, I'm testing for the best light wind kite. And logic will tell me if their 17m kite was the better light wind kite, they wouldn't have made a 19m... But I have been wrong before.
You are talking about Core who designs 3 fast turning LW specific kites in their line up :clap:
Clearly missing in this test is the Ozone Edge 19 ( by the way they make a 17 & 15 too)

It is tube testing only
Your LW kite test excludes Flysurfer who will have in their line up SP4 for LW in 21-18-15m

I believe dedicated companies who design LW specific kites have 2 or 3 sizes in their line up

And the bigger it is the less wind is needed and the more fun you will have in 6-7-8-9 kn !!!!

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 pm

It is proven in various tests that no kite will make you riding below 8 knots....

So forget about the 6-7 knot range.. :nono:

See various LW test in e.g. the German kite mags.

The FS 21m flies at 7 knots, the others start with 8....

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:45 am

markymarc wrote:It is proven in various tests that no kite will make you riding below 8 knots....

So forget about the 6-7 knot range.. :nono:

See various LW test in e.g. the German kite mags.

The FS 21m flies at 7 knots, the others start with 8....
I agree...below 8kn...at 7kn steady wind..at my weight 75kg..and i have lots of LW experience.....
....on my Nugget 2013....in need to work my kite (Core Riot XR3 19) steadily to keep upwind

At a true 6kn steady wind i have to go downwind and move the kite constantly and it is no fun

Yes when i had a SP3 21 and the wind was 7kn i could go without moving the kite keeping upwind

So there it is....21m 7kn ....19m 8kn ....17m 9kn.............no need to test :D

We are not talking about special types of wind like ....vertical gradients and ...high density winds

Let's put all the LW kites in the world on the water at once in less than 10 kn and make a video

Uncut ...unedited...in real time....for one hour...and let's see who does what ....in real LW

:cheers:

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:40 am

65 kg, 17m Ozone Edge, hydrofoil board 6 knots all day long

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:50 am

Hawaiis wrote:65 kg, 17m Ozone Edge, hydrofoil board 6 knots all day long
I have never seen a 6kn wind ........remain steady all day long :wink:

Show us the wind graph of that day..........according to you........it will show a totally straight line

Not all 6kn winds produce the same energy in kites.....some 6kn winds have the power of 8-9kn

Best example that comes to mind is the 2-4kn SUP.....100+pages...... all year long story :winner2:

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:21 am

Dec.6,2013 Kailua wind 5-6 knots
Going up wind
http://www.windguru.cz/int/historie.php ... del=namhis

Return to “Kitesurfing”