All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Dyno Kite size
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:07 am 
Rare Poster

OK, you are all at a level way beyond me, but I would it would be great to get your views.

I'm a geezer at 61 and manage to kite once or twice a year for a few days. That is because I won't kite in Michigan in spring and fall when the winds are good but the water is unbearable for a wimpy old man. But I have a home on lake Michigan so the beach stares at me each day. So I am trying to figure out a way to kite every weekend throughout the summer.

For the most part, my trips are in the winter to warm locations, but I need more time on the water, hence this post.

I've got Rebels including a 7, 9, and 12. I am staying upwind in calm water with ease and in ocean waves (La Ventana, Baja) I manage to stay upwind. If I didn't spend so much time looking at the kite I'd be easily upwind there as well, but sometimes the waves take the board out from under me. All of that is to give you an idea of skill level.

So no ego here, just an old man having the time of his life when parked and riding, who might someday do a jump. But first I need to nail transitions. That will happen this summer if I can get the right kite.

Unless someone has some compelling reason to the contrary I am inclined to go with a Dyno. I've got three North 5 line bars already so no need to buy another bar, and I am very comfortable with North de-power, and feel. Frankly, I'm just not good enough to worry about the differences of the others unless you can think of something based on the scenario I have described. Don't hesitate to tell me that I'm crazy if you think so.

My question is about Kite size. My weight ranges between 155 to 160 lbs. so my guess about kite size for the Dyno is the 15, but I am not really sure. Since these things are awfully expensive, I need some other ideas because I am only buying one kite.

With 7, 9, & 12 rebels it seams logical to go with a 15 Dyno. But I want to kite at the lowest wind possible.

If I went with a 17, do you think that the 12 rebel to 17 Dyno spread makes sense? With those two kites (12 Rebel and Dyno 17) would I have a kites that could keep a light person (recreational kiter) kiting as in all winds fell from 15 to 7?

If I went with a 15, which seems to make more sense from the 'spread' perspective, am I going to lose days that I might otherwise have been able to kite?

Thanks for your ideas.
Bick

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Dyno Kite size
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Don't worry about the gap 12-17, it will be ok!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:42 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Remember when you start getting below the winds your 12 rebel gets you going and upwind, the power in the wind drops significantly. Hence why your smaller kites generally need to be closer together.

12 to 17 no probs.

Be aware though that the 2013/2014 dyno is quote a largish canopy relative to the size printed on the canopy. The 17 from all reports has the same power as the 19 edge, just about.

Just think about what you mean by light winds...for you. And what winds you are on average going to target because it's not like you weigh a lot do you.

With that in mind also remember a Kite with aspect like the dyno can be taken out in winds you wouldn't expect as you can always fly it to the edge of the window (that is will have a sup ringlet better top end that a similar sized kite with less aspect).

If ya really wanna get down there the 17, if not the 15 but do yourself a favour as a high aspect kite for cruising like you want needs to be coupled with an efficient and/or board, especially when aspect is at play.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:21 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I would def. take the 15 Dyno if I were you.

You are not seeking a kite for ultimate light wind, but one that is a step (actually two) bigger than your current one.
And the Dyno is a totally different powerhouse, so the step will be very noticeable for you.

A 15m2 Dyno will be way easier to handle IMO, for 155-160lbs.

That is what I read between the lines - that you want a good and easy kite as your next one ?
And not necessarily one for ultimate lightwind (which also requires a different maybe racelike board to work well IMO, or a heavier rider).

8) Peter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

maybe think about this...

Which board do you use? do you mind using a directional board?
Maybe it will be cheaper in the beginning to buy a real lightwind board, that will get you going with your 12m in lighter conditions.
Options like
North Nugget
Airush slayer/sector
and some others.
Cheers Dude :cool2:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:52 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeh I'm with naish dude on this. Just got off the old and new nugget today (not mine just a mates) and without it we would not have made ground even on a 16m dyno (2011).. Well with care I was just making it on a 145 by 44 TT(I'm 75kg....is that 165lb poundish???). (Remember the 2103/2014 dyno is more powerful and has more aspect dire paler than the 2011 I have).

But on the nugget much easier and having fun. Hey sometimes I even borrow my mates nugget for an unhooked session for kicks and giggles...

But the point is if ya gonna get a kite in that realm then an efficient board is almost a given or you won't maximise the aspect in the dyno and find the gap between your rebel and new dyno is not as large as you would like.

Also...let's say it's one of those days that ya not sure if you should put up the big girl...you know the winds a little unpredictable etc...well you can put up the rebel and get on the efficient board. Wind kicks in...change down ya board not ya kite.

An efficient board is like adding a new size between your quiver sizes ...so a 3 kite quiver becomes like a 6 kite quiver in terms of finding the sweet spot.

Hey I got three sized Tts, two SBs...to go with my 4 kites, so I can't really narrow down the right board with the right kite size.

I recon frank is right all up...the 15 dyno man, with another board like naish dude said.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I love the Dyno, but might not be the best kite for you. The Dyno is a very high aspect ratio kite which makes it slow turning but generates a lot of power once it gets moving. This makes it great for getting ultimate low end plus great for big air and for racing, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner working on transitions. Not that it's going to be dangerous or you couldn't handle it, just not the best tool for the job I think.

I think you'd be better off with any of the kites in the "Average Joe Kite Review" done by XL kites recently. These are all more user-friendly, medium-aspect ratio kites that are better for general use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OootDRvjQNM

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OootDRvjQNM[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Something else to keep in mind. Depending where you are on Lake Michigan, the best wind might not be right out your back door. Some spots have more wind than others, especially in the summer. Driving an hour or so north or south can yield a 5 to 15 knt bump in wind speeds.

A 17 Dyno would do just fine for you. At your weight, you could really push the low end of the wind scale. Considering you already have the bars, I think it would be an easy transition. Some people would try to scare you away, but considering about five years ago some people (and companies) would swear up and down that anything bigger than a 14 or 15 was not needed. As always, try to test if you can. I think Mackite will have a Dyno this year for demo.

Last edited by Bain on Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

12 to 17 gap is no problem....and is the most popular set up
I do 12 Rebel to 19 (Core LW Riot XR3).. 165lbs...kitesurf the Florida light winds a lot in the ocean
12 to 15 gap is too close and you wont have as much fun and power in the lowest winds

Good news if you go for the newest available Dyno 17 2013....the true size is 17.8m2

Last edited by SupaEZ on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

davesails7 wrote:
I love the Dyno, but might not be the best kite for you. The Dyno is a very high aspect ratio kite which makes it slow turning but generates a lot of power once it gets moving. This makes it great for getting ultimate low end plus great for big air and for racing, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner working on transitions. Not that it's going to be dangerous or you couldn't handle it, just not the best tool for the job I think.

I think you'd be better off with any of the kites in the "Average Joe Kite Review" done by XL kites recently. These are all more user-friendly, medium-aspect ratio kites that are better for general use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OootDRvjQNM

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OootDRvjQNM[/youtube]

Good points but he's on rebels already which although not as high aspect have enough for him to adjust more quickly than most on low to mid aspect kites. From all reports it lies somewhere (2013/2014) between the 2011 and 2012 in terms of flying characteristics and the 2011 is as stable as you can get with that much aspect. Messed up a board off double rotation the other day, it just all went seriously cocked up, ended flying downwind while the kite went all the way to edge of the window in the direction I was redirecting. Lines slack, even when I got my head above water, Hindenburg kite for real...then it caught the wind and pop there it was..couldn't believe it.

I get what you are saying but I don't subscribe he wouldn't be able to adjust, infact I think he would do it very easily.

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next