Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: RPM vs Dice

Postby fdvj » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Westozzy and chance of examining the batten pockets? Our local repairer makes good money from restitching and repairing them especially on used norths. ( we have a lot of evos and rebels locally)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:49 am

Okay will do next session. Get back to you.

Massimo
Frequent Poster
Style: FreeRiding >> WaveRiding
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14
Slingshot RPM 10
North DICE 10

Gaastra SurfPro 5'4"
Naish Sol 134
Fly-Radical 139
LF Influence 137
Brand Affiliation: Not yet

Postby Massimo » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:21 pm

First 2 sessions done using the Dice 10m with the SS bar with 20m lines.

Feedback of the kite was great! on its sweet spot this kite is great :jump:

I was kiting with another guy and he was riding a 9m rebel, it seems that i was having a little more power in 18-20 knots (it was the beginning of the session).

at the end the wind went up (23-26knots) and I was still with my Radical L... therefore i pulled the depower in and the kite was behaving funny.

with the depower all way out (full power) the kite was not pulling a lot (it seemed backstalling) with the depower all way in (full depower) the kite was not pulling a lot and it was deforming a little (sandwich). practically no matter what I was doing the kite was not pulling... which is good because I was feeling ok but it was a weird feeling... I was scared it was going to invert therefore I stopped. With my RPM 10m at this wind the kite was deforming but it was pulling and it never gave me the feeling that it could flip inverted. :o

Maybe it was depowered too much since I was using my big board!

Next time I will use the my influence and I will let you know if it is better.

Bottom line, if at his high end the kite will behave properly (with the smaller board) I will be extremely happy of my purchase... on the contrary I could be a disappointed by its awkward behavior... let's see :bye:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Thats bizzar.

When i flew the dice in those winds it flew like a dream.

Maybe check your bar set up. If its back stalling you may have way too much rear line tension.

Also was it inflated correctly? what you describe could occur if it was under inflated.

Did you get a north bar? if so id test it back on the north bar to eliminate the bar from the equation.

Massimo
Frequent Poster
Slingshot RPM 10
North DICE 10

Gaastra SurfPro 5'4"
Naish Sol 134
Fly-Radical 139
LF Influence 137

Postby Massimo » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:51 pm

plummet wrote:Thats bizzar.

When i flew the dice in those winds it flew like a dream.

Maybe check your bar set up. If its back stalling you may have way too much rear line tension.

Also was it inflated correctly? what you describe could occur if it was under inflated.

Did you get a north bar? if so id test it back on the north bar to eliminate the bar from the equation.
the kite in its lowend it was not back-stalling at all it was a dream :) on its high end when I was full power it did not pull me out of the water as I was expecting and I was going not as fast as expected. As soon as I was depowering it was slightly changing shape.

this happened during a period of 5 min when everybody went out of the water, I do not know why... maybe the gusts were much stronger that it was recorded by windfinder... I do not know!
I need to run a comparative test together with my friend who uses a 9m fuse, he was always in control when I was overpowered with my RPM 10... kiting together with him in strong winds with my smaller boar will be the real comparative test.

In the meantime I will check again the length of my lines but I am pretty sure that have the same length when fully powered.

fdvj
Frequent Poster

Postby fdvj » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:37 am

North kites need the high Y to support them, it sounds like you found this out when the wind picked up. Try a north bar.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:33 am

@ Massimo
You wrote you used a Slingshot Bar. That has a "maximum V" (deepest possible frontline connection point), whereas the North Quad bar has the frontline connection around 4 m (13 ft) above the adjuster / bar. Though I´ve never tested it, this relatively high "V" seems to be critical for the North 4-line setup.
My Neos with North´s Quad bar work fine :D

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:01 am

Onda wrote:@ Massimo
You wrote you used a Slingshot Bar. That has a "maximum V" (deepest possible frontline connection point), whereas the North Quad bar has the frontline connection around 4 m (13 ft) above the adjuster / bar. Though I´ve never tested it, this relatively high "V" seems to be critical for the North 4-line setup.
fdvj wrote:North kites need the high Y to support them, it sounds like you found this out when the wind picked up. Try a north bar.
Then why did the dice behave perfectly for me when I flew it on and ozone bar 23-26 knots?

It sounds to me that Massimo took this kite out on a very gusty, flukey day. A day when everyone when back to the beach when he was having problems.

A further test is required in clean winds.

fdvj
Frequent Poster

Postby fdvj » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:09 pm

The high Y is used by north to act as support, like the rest of the bridle would. If you move the split down 4m you are significantly effecting the geometry, which you may not notice so much in perfect conditions but when it gets shitty it becomes clear.
I hate High Y setups which is a shame as it appears that norths rely on it. Kite size, and line length will also determine how much the position of the Y will matter.

Massimo
Frequent Poster
Slingshot RPM 10
North DICE 10

Gaastra SurfPro 5'4"
Naish Sol 134
Fly-Radical 139
LF Influence 137

Postby Massimo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:12 pm

Onda wrote:@ Massimo
the north quad bar has a split at 4m. the dice 10m can be used with lines up to 24m which means that the Y is at 20m exactly like my 20m lines SS bar.

however as I said I really like the kite I just need to make a side by side test with my friend who flies 9m fuse and see how it goes.

Maybe sunday the gusts were at 30knots... I do not know but it was not showed on windfinder.

on the other hand it is also true that the day before in similar conditions (according windfinder) everything was very fine...

more test to come but I will need to wait the weekend!

Return to “Kitesurfing”