All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Naish Fly (15m) a decent surf kite in onshore shorebreak
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:47 am 
Rare Poster

Go to the website of Boardriding Maui. You´ll find lots of very nice videos there. From customers as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:51 am 
Rare Poster

I meant 1st person view. Headcam! So we can see how the kite drifts back, floats when riding towards the kite on the upstroke and how it responds from bar movement...

PS: I've endlessly watched them on BRM site...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:23 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

That kind of wind I would consider one of the new 17 m kites. 8 knots you cannot ride a wave.
In onshore conditions, you will overtake the kite on the wave. 16 knots could be OK.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:36 pm 
Rare Poster

I was riding a dead onshore and a massive shore break around Biarritz with a Naish Fly. It works as long as you have enough power in the kite. Say, 12-14kt. Requires very active flying though and you n need to sine the kite before the whitewater hits you. The kite drifts ok but is too slow for fast top turns. For long clean waves it is ok, for gnarly shorebreak it is possible but just no fun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:35 pm 
Rare Poster

Yes. That's been my experience...possible but not fun. I've gone back to paragliding in light/moderate onshore conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

CIsio wrote:
I was riding a dead onshore and a massive shore break around Biarritz with a Naish Fly. It works as long as you have enough power in the kite. Say, 12-14kt. Requires very active flying though and you n need to sine the kite before the whitewater hits you. The kite drifts ok but is too slow for fast top turns. For long clean waves it is ok, for gnarly shorebreak it is possible but just no fun.

So in onshore winds and big waves there will always be a problem of outrunning your kite. If it is straight on shore, it really depends on the wave shape. If it peels off nicely you can potentially keep enough pressure on your lines...if it is a closeout section, you basically head straight for the kite...and the bigger the wave the faster it is..but my point is that the days when you hit it right..the waves gets glassy...and the waves peel of just right it can still be a lot of fun :-)

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2