kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Driving to Hatteras

Postby kiteontario » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:47 am

For Canadians living in Ontario and Quebec, and from New York State and elsewhere in the North Eastern U.S. states, I have some questions:

If you drive solo to Hatteras, do you drive the upwards of 13 hours straight? Or, do you break up the drive and stay over in a hotel?

I'm considering 9 hours driving time, and then staying over somewhere North of Norfolk. Then the next morning getting up early to finish the drive and get to Hatteras around noon.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the hotel expense and not go 13 hours (save for breaks and lunch etc.) in the car, or whether others just stick it out and do the drive straight in one day? I've only gone with family and had to break up the trip regardless. This time likely driving solo.

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Driving to Hatteras

Postby justbob » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:06 pm

You have to ask yourself, is it worth falling asleep at the wheel and killing myself or should I dish out $90 for a hotel room? Chances are youll hit traffic anyway and the drive will be longer than you thought. Grab a room, get some sleep, arrive fresh.

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Postby vkngktr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:04 pm

If youre taking 13 South Exmore, Va is a good place to stop. Youll be on Hatteras before noon.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:19 pm

We try to leave SWO in the morning 9amish and drive for about 10 - 12 hours and stay in Fredricksburg on Warrenton Rd close to I-95, we are usually in Nags Head by noon the next day... fresh ready to ride.
I've driven solo a few times, the first time I ended up getting the flu on the way, took me two full days to get there as I had to keep stopping to sleep.

On the way back we always make the trip in one shot without sleep arriving home around 2am if we leave around 9am

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:41 pm

I used to come down from VT and sometimes CT. Best thing to do is make sure you pass through maryland and virginia after 9pm. The drive through there blows. Id rather be stuck in NYC traffic than virginia traffic any day. I tend to drive through the night and take half hr naps every once in a while or an 1.5 hrs at one if the well lit royal farms stations. I had my old yaris packed to the gills and threw my legs across passenger seat to stretch out and nap in a cramped car. If ya got room in yor vehicle leave your rear bench open to lay across. Bring a pillow. Totally doable without the hotel plus youd get to hatteras around sunrise!

SSK
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:59 pm

somewhere North of Norfolk
If you are going to stop ,that seems a little late to break it up. Heck you are almost there. If you are coming 95 then I would stay somewhere between DC and Richmond as already mentioned. That would be a good break. You can make Rodanthe in about 4.75 hours from Fredericksburg, 5.25 from Stafford, 5.5 from Woodbridge. These all have very many hotels right off of 95. I can leave Fredericksburg by 4:30 and be on the water by 10.
If you come 95 whatever you do, do not be caught between DC and Fredericksburg going south on a weekday between 4pm and 8pm. The traffic here is rediculous with the afternoon commute.

kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile

Postby kiteontario » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm glad I asked the dumb questions to get the great answers! :)

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Weight: 188
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT

Postby DSZ » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:39 pm

Its about a 12-13 hr drive for me from north of Boston. Sometimes I leave at 4:30 am and drive straight thru arriving in time for a sunset session. Other times I leave at 9 am and stop in Exmore, VA for the nite. Leave there at 7 am and in Avon by about 10:30 stopping at Frog Island Seafood to get some fresh crab etc!

Depends on the forecast too, why rush if you are arriving on a windless day.

I usually stop in Dover or Newark, Delaware on my home, about 1/2 way.

yowobx
Rare Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in Hatteras
Long Bay TCI
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby yowobx » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:06 pm

Having done the drive lots over the last four years, I have learned some lessons the hard way. First and foremost, if you split the drive and are driving from Norfolk on a Saturday after mid June and before September, leave Norfolk by 7AM! I made that mistake once, never again. Took me five hours to get to Buxton, my wife came within minutes of committing assault/murder.

I stopped doing the drive in one day last year simply because it's too damn long, even with a buddy. Furthest I go it Norfolk, but if by myself I usually stop in Delaware (from Ottawa, which is probably a different rout than you take from southern ON), then get up early head to Hatteras.

Going in May, can't wait.

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Weight: 188
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT

Postby DSZ » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Also I never take 95 around by Baltimore and Washington DC. Its longer than RT 13 and you run the risk of traffic jams. Sure 13 is a pain in the butt stoplight wise but it takes less time.

Watch the weather though if its REALLY windy, the Bay Bridge Tunnel can shut down for high profile vehicles and ones with stuff on the roof.

Return to “Kitesurfing”