Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

March & the Caribbean - where has reliable wind?

Forum for kitesurfers
SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

March & the Caribbean - where has reliable wind?

Postby SonnyRider » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:39 am

Ok, I know you can never be 100% with wind and countries. But we holiday for kitesurfing, not touristing :wink:

I'm 100kgs, so need more wind than most of you ideal kitesurf weight people need. I do not want to spend most of the holiday watching my GF kite, that is just damn annoying

I do have a 14m Cat & Zephyr. But I really want wind I can have fun in, not wind I can just mow the lawn in

18kts is a good starting point. Looking at most of the wind archives(windguru) it shows 12 - 20. Is this what the actual wind is or does thermal come into effect making wind stronger?
It all seems pretty hit & miss with the wind

The past two years we've been to Cape Verde in February and had very good winds. Last year we got 9 out of 11 the year before we had 100%

We're currently looking at St Lucia, Antigua or Tobago.
I know Aruba has good stats, but we can't get there from the UK, the flights do not start until May (WTF!) alternative is to JFK and wait 19hrs for the connecting flight (F that!)

Any suggestions or should we just stick with Cape Verde?

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Re: March & the Caribbean - where has reliable wind?

Postby dracop » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:58 pm

If you can handle a layover in Amsterdam, there are always flights to Aruba from AMS.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:25 pm

dracop wrote:If you can handle a layover in Amsterdam, there are always flights to Aruba from AMS.
Thanks, but there are no direct flights from AMS either
They all have a stop over in the states, making it a 30+ hr flight, without the flight from London to AMS and the wait to connect from there

I want to holiday at a beach, not in airports & aircraft :lol:

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby John-B » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:34 am

I'm off to El Medano (again) end of March - if it's windy then it usually blows enough not to need a big kite. That time of year I have been on everything from an 11m to a 6m (in same week) but mostly powered on the 9m. You could have a go on my 12m VX :wink:

I also usually have access to plenty of boards from the man himself so all bases covered :thumb:

SonnyRider
Medium Poster

Postby SonnyRider » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:05 pm

Heh, cheers John :thumb:

Not sure if she can wait till the end of the month :wink: or me come to think of it

But, that 12 . . . :lol:

seafood
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fuerteventura
Caños de Mecca
Haakgat SA
Favorite Beaches: Sunset/Dolphin beach/Haakgat SA etc.
Majanicho Fuerteventura
Style: surf
Gear: ozone reo
underground 5.8
f-one fish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby seafood » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:14 pm

SonnyRider wrote:Ok, I know you can never be 100% with wind and countries. But we holiday for kitesurfing, not touristing :wink:

I'm 100kgs, so need more wind than most of you ideal kitesurf weight people need. I do not want to spend most of the holiday watching my GF kite, that is just damn annoying

I do have a 14m Cat & Zephyr. But I really want wind I can have fun in, not wind I can just mow the lawn in

18kts is a good starting point. Looking at most of the wind archives(windguru) it shows 12 - 20. Is this what the actual wind is or does thermal come into effect making wind stronger?
It all seems pretty hit & miss with the wind

The past two years we've been to Cape Verde in February and had very good winds. Last year we got 9 out of 11 the year before we had 100%

We're currently looking at St Lucia, Antigua or Tobago.
I know Aruba has good stats, but we can't get there from the UK, the flights do not start until May (WTF!) alternative is to JFK and wait 19hrs for the connecting flight (F that!)

Any suggestions or should we just stick with Cape Verde?
Barbados

Return to “Kitesurfing”