Style: Freeride - Freestyle - Strapless - Foil
Gear: 2017 Naish Dash, 2019 Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Soul 12m
NHP SplitBoard Carbon(2016) , 50/Fifty
Nobile Infinity Split Foil 5'2
Zeeko SpitFire Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Review of the Nobile NHP SplitBoard

Postby Sgallian » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Well, it is true that having 1 boardbag is quite usefull. Until now, that's what I did: use Air France or any other company that let you bring one GOLF bag extra for free, and load it good, even when I did not bring a board... Hell, I even put a foldable baby cot in there once! If it does not weight more than 20kgs, they just send it through...
And since I leave from a country where Kiteboarding is a marginal sport, they do not know of the ruse at checking counter... The problem is when you get back: flying back from Tarifa, through the airport of Malaga, where they sure do see their share of boardbag getting checked, I did not dare risk it, when they would ask 150€ for the boardbag on the trip back alone... I changed airline, it came out cheaper this way...
So having a splitboard can save quite some money, and I did not verify it, but I believe that I can keep the weight of the "kite luggage" with board, harness, 2 kites, pump, wetsuit etc... under 20 kgs, which leaves 3 kgs for clothes.... that is not much, so I'll keep in mind the trick of using a kitebag as cabin luggage....
To sum up: if you are pretty sure you can get away with a "golf" bag, then yes, use one, but it is nice to have the option of the splitboard in case it does not look good on the way back...

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:24 am

Since the Nobile Split is still too large for a cabin luggage, I am waiting for a Splitboard in 3 parts and 2 W connections :P

134 / 3 = 45 cm (17in 1/2) perfect for a cabin.

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:22 am

Not too large for cabin luggage: took it in cabin with me on 2 differents flights, passed security on both occasions without a itch, said it was some precious plans/art between 2 planks of wood at check-in counters. They just wanted to be sure it was nothing sharp...
Fitted easily in the overhead compartments.
Now, I may have been lucky, so I would not recommand trying....

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:23 pm

ToddDouglas wrote:Hey thanks for the review. . i bought the same board to travel with and it does not fit into the biggest 34 inch suitcase i have. I have been looking for a bag that it does fit, , every normal large bag i tried was either not wide enough or not long enough.

I will try the North Face XL Duffle ... Do you know of any other bags that work ?

Thanks,
Todd
Not to debate this, but I have to question the math here. How can a 134cm split board not fit into a 34" (86cm) suitcase? Okinawakiter stated 78cm for the longer half of the 137cm split board, and that should easily fit in a 34" bag.....? Is it width that's the issue for you?

I'm curious about these dimensions as I want to make sure I adhere to the major airlines rules of 62 linear inches (157cm). It's my goal to have a bag that fits a 137 split, 3 kites, and 2 bars. My harness and wetsuit will be my carry on. I have my eye on a bag that I think could work for pulling this off. I would like to figure this out before I drop the cash on a split board. I'm sick of going to airports dressed like Payne Stewart in hopes of duping the ticket agents into thinking I'm a golfer and not a kiteboarder....

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:18 am

Hello Poacher, hello all,
well, it fits (tighly, but it does fit) in a Manera 110 (80x40x34), which is 3-4cm within the max. linear dimensions for a checked-in bag...
Look at pics below.
But this is a 134x42, and the board pokes out a little on the sides... For a 137, adding 1.5cm on the length whould not matter, but I would be a little worried that 1cm more on each side might be a little too much. As it is, I will add some extra padding at the wider end, because that will sure take the brunt of any shock the bag will go throught during handling... I guess doing that on a 137x44 would stretch the bag to the limit...
I had to choose between this bag and the Rip Curl F-Light global (same dimensions or close enough) I chose this one because it was on sale, and liked its look, though it is a tiny bit heavier. But I am now glad I did so, as it is re-inforced with faux-leather exactly where it needs to be for the split board.
Attachments
IMG_4763.JPG
IMG_4765.JPG
IMG_4767.JPG
Last edited by Sgallian on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:00 pm

@Poacher: I traveled a lot with a custom split board (a CKT). IMO, 3 kites, 2 bars and a board can be a problem for the extra weight, expecially on charter flights (15 kgs. max average allowed weight. Extra weight is normally very expensive, ~10 euros per kilo). You also have to add a pump, your harness and your wetsuit and/or helmet if you're carrying one. Maybe with a 20 kgs. limitation you can store everything but you have to check, because (I don't know why!) normally the bag result to weight more than you expect once filled. In my experience, eventually I always had to put one kite in my wife or my daughter's bag to avoid extra weight with 15 kgs. allowed.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Thanks for the replies Sgallian (again!) and Pmaggie! I'm getting closer on this.

@Pmaggie - most of the national flights I would be taking are through Delta or American Airlines and they have a 23kg weight limit and 158cm linear for size. For international I would probably take my golf bag for extended stays and more gear. But for just 1 week kite trips, my formula for overall weight and size should be good. It will be close on the weight. It will depend on what the actual weight of the bag is. One site says 11lbs. and another says 13lbs.

@Sgallian - The bag I'm picking up will give me 43cm for width. I don't want to have the edges bulging through the bag. I'm hoping between the split covers and some bubble wrap to have them protected a little.

Thanks for the help!

=:o)
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone, NKB
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby =:o) » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:00 pm

I would like to compare NHP with my custom made splitboard. :wink:
I'm able to pack it to standard suitcase with one 12m kite easily.
Attachments
10482272_780694405297390_7712442939760844675_o.jpg

KiteDR
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cabarete, Minnesota
Favorite Beaches: Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica; Cabarete Bay
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Cabrinha, Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteDR » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:47 pm

Want to resurrect this topic just to get some opinions from people who've owned the boards for some time - looking at buying one used to travel light with (business trips with an extra day or two to kite). Anything to look for with a used board? Still happy with the performance?

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

I have a Nobile Split 134 which I brought with me last summer to Corsica.
Had a few days of strong wind (9m kite) and the board perfomed real well.
I have also used it a home in lighter winds (15m kite) and it worked surprisingly good.

Return to “Kitesurfing”