All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: New Mystic Spreader Bar Release System
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:28 pm 
Frequent Poster

But then you are releasing to suicide... This would make you let go of the kite completely more often.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:23 am 
Frequent Poster

First off, I'd like to give mad props to Mystic for being innovative when it comes to safety. I think any company that tries to make the sport safer should be supported. My only question really, without having one of these in front of me, is would all of the extra hardware pose a line snag risk? So even though you would have redundant backup for your QR, would you see diminishing safety returns because of a line snag possibility? Can't wait to check one out!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:30 am 
Frequent Poster

SpaceRacer wrote:
First off, I'd like to give mad props to Mystic for being innovative when it comes to safety. I think any company that tries to make the sport safer should be supported. My only question really, without having one of these in front of me, is would all of the extra hardware pose a line snag risk? So even though you would have redundant backup for your QR, would you see diminishing safety returns because of a line snag possibility? Can't wait to check one out!

I think it is unnecessarily redundant if used with a stock bar.

What if your Chicken Loop QR doesn't work.? How many times does that happen? Why not redundant everything?

I would not bother with the Mystic Spreader bar release system unless I was also eliminating the QR on my bar. The advantage of this set up is three fold in my opinion. It reduces the cost of bars, it simplifies bar design and there is no need to re-learn how to work a new QR without thinking.

I doubt kite manufacturers revenue would go down either. I would be more inclined to buy a bar for each kite if the price point came down.

I am looking forward to checking out this bar when it comes to market..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:11 am 
Rare Poster

I see the benefit of not trusting the donkey dick any more. I have had at lease 4 occasions were mine have failed. I would love to get rid of mine. My female donkey wife would like it too :lol:
My friend borrowed my kite yesterday and at launch his dick failed and my kite went strait into the trees instantly. I think its great to have less stuff at the loop.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:17 pm 
Medium Poster

It may not appeal to everyone, but IMO a redundant release system seems like a good thing to me. Sure QR don't fail that often but no one can say they are %100 reliable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:07 pm 
Frequent Poster

finnkc wrote:
It may not appeal to everyone, but IMO a redundant release system seems like a good thing to me. Sure QR don't fail that often but no one can say they are %100 reliable.

It is certainly a judgment call based on personal preference. There is no real wrong answer to debate. We just have different perspectives worth considering.

Having 1, 2, 3 or 4 QRs in your set up does not make it "100% reliable". Nothing in kiting is 100% reliable. I am assuming you know that too and used "100%" to illustrate your point. There is no doubt that 2 QRs are better than 1 if all else is held equal. However, added gear like the Mystic spreader bar adds another pieces of gear that may snag a line, fail, add maintenance time, increase costs. there is a point with any gear where redundancy becomes a hindrance. In my judgment, more than one is too much,

I see the value in simplifying, reducing costs the cost of your set up. Safety is increased because you will have familiarity with your QR that does not change when you buy a different bar. One more factored I want to add is having the QR on the spreader bar also gives us more choice. Currently, if we like a depower setup we don’t really have a choice to also pick our preferred QR. We must accept the QR that is sold with the depower setup. If kite gear manufactures separate the QR from the bar we can buy the depower system we like the best and the QR setup we like the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:04 pm 
Rare Poster

Has anyone noticed it seems to favour left handed people? The good thing about the QRs on the chicken loop is its easily accesable for both hands.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

nick14 wrote:
Has anyone noticed it seems to favour left handed people? The good thing about the QRs on the chicken loop is its easily accesable for both hands.

I wondered as well why on the left side? Was the engineer a lefty?

And true, a push up QR can be activated with both hands...

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3