All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How to make a handplant transition?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:40 pm 
Medium Poster

I need some advice on how to do this trick. I can do a handplant backroll (handwash) and I assume that the beginning of a handplant transition is similiar, i.e. carve a bit upwind, plant your hand, start to rotate... but then what do you do with the kite?? Do you do a downloop with the kite or a kiteloop? I´m thinking that if I make a kiteloop is it then possible to change direction?
I tried to watch tutorials on youtube and I see what you do with your body and board, but I can't see what they do with the kite... would appreciate help from guys that know how to do this trick =)

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: How to make a handplant transition?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

downloop doesn't give much lift you have to do low kiteloop. yes you can change direction. btw, if u r doing handplant backroll u should already be doing a kiteloop for that too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:51 pm 
Rare Poster

The kite makes a kiteloop in the other direction. (steer with your back hand)

Start with a smaller kite to play with it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:46 pm 
Medium Poster

so basically it´s just to continue loop the kite instead of stop looping and keep riding in the same direction like I do with the handplant backroll?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:25 pm 
Medium Poster

I learned the backroll hand drag kiteloop transition this summer - I assume thats the move you mean? Here's what I do/ did.
Theres a fair bit of kahoonas involved in chucking the kiteloop, but once you've done it a few times you get used to it, and theres not too much yank in it.
I like to do them comfortably powered, riding with no depower, so the kite turns quick, and I'm not fearing for my life too much - and it works the same on all my kites, 11,9&7.
So, kiting along, I bear away a little, so on a reach (this takes a bit more wang out of the kiteloop and is more important than it sounds) - then start slowly raising the kite (we'll pretend i'm on a starboard tack, so travelling right hand forward) - when the kite gets to about 1 o clock and is providing enough lift to stop me dropping in the water, i pop off and start the back roll, whilst digging my front hand into the water as hard as I can. I stop looking at the kite at this point and try to look round the rotation and start to spot a landing (and theres nothing scarier than watching your kite go into a loop, so it avoids that too!). Keep slowly rotating round and when the kite gets to or or is going past 12, pull in your back hand as hard as you can, and keep it pulled in hard. The kiteloop will lift you up and pull you round the rest of the backroll, and you end up landing going dead downwind (it feels like your landing toeside) towards the kite - , which is now on its way back up. You can now decide which way to ride off - I find it easier to do it as a transition because then theres no need to rush your front hand back onto the bar - you can just keep pulling on your back hand to send the kite back the other way.

Thats my tuppence anyway - others might think its a load of cobblers, but it works for me.

Last edited by dragnfly on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:26 pm 
Medium Poster

Like this, but add the hand drag?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:54 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

holy shit a non retarded thread!

Dragnfly put it nicely.

Back loop kiteloop has a whole lot of variation in expression. Sometimes you are trying to make ground so its just a little air version where you bear upwind as you drift the kite up. You pretty much take off and land on the same spot and burn off on the other tack.

Or

You can do it with a lot of speed and bear off as mentioned so you draw out that first weightless portion and get the slide/glide/hand drag portion with just a quick loop to get you back in riding position at the end.

Or

I've seen video of Lenten doing it at 30 feet up in 30 knots.

I dont do that last one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:35 am 
Medium Poster

Thanks dragnfly! Will try my best to follow your guidance =)

While talking about one hand kiteloops, is it just me that gets pain in my elbows from this maneuver?

I have sensitive elbows though and they easily get fucked up when I put to much stress on them. Unfortunately one hand kiteloops with much power is a killer for my elbows so I can't do more than maybe 2-3 of them during a session. The "bear away a little" trick you mention sounds like something I should try to implement!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Actually I find this move easier than a full blown back roll back loop. Because you weight is well and truly pulling against the loop, can also execute low off the water. I normally throw some back roll back loops powered and get some serious pull and height, then as the session wears on and I'm getting tired and mistakes can be amplified I chuck the hand out and keep the whole manoeuvre low off the water. Make sure you come in with a fair bit of speed hence you can chuck the hand out quite early and leave it in the water quite late.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:16 am 
Frequent Poster

Starsky wrote:
I've seen video of Lenten doing it at 30 feet up in 30 knots.

Fuck me he must have long arms!

I wanna learn this one aswell, best example i've seen is a vid on here somewhere called 'kook out 4'. Massive air he gets coming out of the hand drag, i might have this wrong but in one vid i swear he manages to slip in an s-bend after the hand drag before landing.

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next