BreezeSleaze
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot RPM quiver
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Switching from RPMs to Fuels

Postby BreezeSleaze » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:22 pm

Hello All! I have been kiting for about 4 years now exclusively on RPMs. Im starting to do more unhooked tricks now and getting more into freestyle. I am thinking about switching to Fuels this season as I get more into freestyle...aslo Im looking for a little more boost and something that will catch me after a kiteloop. Any guys out there made the switch from RPMs to Fuels and would like to share their thoughts/experiences?

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Switching from RPMs to Fuels

Postby Tone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Evening ..

I did the same about 3 years ago. I found the lack of depower a little uncomfortable until I started to forget all the bad habits the RPM put into me.

Great kites, you will need to learn to edge again and you will be amazed how stable they are,

Relaunch is fantastic and kiteloops are great. When you get unhooked stuff right on them you really do get slack lines.

You'll like them I think.

Tony

BreezeSleaze
Rare Poster

Postby BreezeSleaze » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:14 pm

Thanks for the input Tony! The lack of depower is the only thing that im a little concerned about.

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Postby magic%20Ed » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Don't be concerned, you'll learn how to use the edge. It's not a huge thing.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:48 am

Fuels are the easiest C kite to ride that I've tried, I'm guessing because it sits a little deeper in the window than 5-line C kites.

I hopped right on the fuel pretty much back to back with a delta kite and it felt very similar to me. I don't really understand why anyone would have a difficulty, all you have to do is edge harder when you have more power, to get the kite forward in the window. I guess some guys here have really weak legs or something.

Give them a try, they're super easy to ride.

BreezeSleaze
Rare Poster

Postby BreezeSleaze » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:43 am

Thanks for the input fellas! I think you've sold me on them!

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:52 am

I'm well not a young man for this sport and have been thinking of going the opposite way. Fuels to Rpms. One of the big things that keeps me on my C's is the lack of depower. Once you get dialed in on Fuels you will know what I'm talking about. The loops are insane but I stopped doing those after I had surgery on both my shoulders a year ago. Relaunch is their weakest point but it is fine if you have the wind to be on the kite in the first place.

Our winds are not the best some of the time and I could use some better relaunch. When it's a little gusty I would like a bridal to absorb them. And as I get older I think I might be needing some less punishing kites. Especially in the crashes. Then again I might just mod mine to a 5th line and all ways flag the kite.

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:31 am

fuels are sick. The tough part is, is that you can do everything and more with RPMs vs fuels. The marginal benefit you gain in unhooked flying characteristics is at a huge compromise for range. I used to exclusively ride fuels, but my kite life is so much simpler with RPMs. The conditions where I ride vary drastically so it just makes more sense.

My unsolicited advice is to make the switch to fuels if you are excited about riding a different style kite.

BreezeSleaze
Rare Poster

Postby BreezeSleaze » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:29 pm

Interesting...I guess I will have to set up a demo and try her out.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:03 pm

consumer wrote:fuels are sick. The tough part is, is that you can do everything and more with RPMs vs fuels. The marginal benefit you gain in unhooked flying characteristics is at a huge compromise for range. I used to exclusively ride fuels, but my kite life is so much simpler with RPMs. The conditions where I ride vary drastically so it just makes more sense.

My unsolicited advice is to make the switch to fuels if you are excited about riding a different style kite.
The above is excellent advice. The RPM has more range and is more versatile. Perhaps getting a Fuel in the size you would kite with at your local spot on an average day. This would give you a good idea if that is the kite for you. One thing for sure, the Fuel gives you super power in the turns and that ripped off the water feel when boosting that no bridled kite I've tried matches. Good luck!

:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”