Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:37 am

Akita wrote: If overcharged - dont bother to write, just post a flag :allbegood:
Regards
Akita
You are correct ...my friend 14Toeside should have use the flag emoticon
:giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

Akita
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: DANGER and SINGLE FRONTLINE SAFETY?

Postby Akita » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:12 pm

ORSales wrote:
Akita wrote:Would you please pass the exact distane? This is crucial. If too short, the bow does not open enough and won't pivot. Right? I got one and want to use it with the Flite II 17.
Our head of design is not in the office today so I can't say the exact distance. However, 6.5m should be more than enough. I will double check this tomorrow for you.
That would be very nice!

Besides the two mesurements for required linelengths - upper side of the fully sheeted in bar to stopper balls - the lengt to the Y seperation of the powerline would be of great help!

BTW What is the size of the bar?

Thanks alot beforehand!

Akita

Akita
Rare Poster

Postby Akita » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:15 pm

14ToeSide wrote:American. What's your next question???
You might want to explain your last post? What did you actually want to contribute with the following?
14ToeSide wrote:2 much foreign language for me. Makes my Ears Ring!!!...... & alot of smilies

snowflake
Rare Poster
Gear: kite
board

Postby snowflake » Fri May 29, 2015 2:06 pm

Oh wow - read through the whole thread, unfortunately lots of uninformative posts. If you have private issues with each other why not use the private messaging function?

I like your videos, however I think you can improve them drastically by showing the kites in the air. For example if you say the kite pulls like a truck, show an according sequence. Maybe you can just show the kite flying and add the audio line, for me it is not so important to see your faces all the time while your speaking. The audio quality could be heavily improved by recording in a more silent location or shielding your mic. Also all the background information about the riders is not required in the beginning of the video, just make a link to a dedicated video for interested people, or display the information while they are talking.

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Sat May 30, 2015 8:11 am

Myself, i fly both North and OR kites and have found good compatibly between bar/line and kites. I have a couple OR below depower systems(varying length line) and a North Quad(w 24 m lines). I ran into a couple of time not being able to release my depower cleat on the below the bar Trim system from OR so i started using my quad above bar setup(using my 17 Flite). Above bar was great...until i started to get into the upper range of the kite. Not being able to "overpower salute" as we call it with the quad bar is an issue and resulted in getting yanked around and bit, lofted a couple times and just generally not cool. Going back to the Or system on the 17 v2 Flite was the answer, the unlimited throw pretty much disarmed the kite when I let go of the bar, if i had/have to, but moreover being able to sheet wayyyyy out helps to depower the kite on turns and in gusty or overpowered conditions. All that said and done, as amazing as these light wind kites are, in my opinion, they can be really dangerous and being able to properly and comfortably depower is truly critical.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Sat May 30, 2015 4:58 pm

snowflake wrote:Oh wow - read through the whole thread, unfortunately lots of uninformative posts. If you have private issues with each other why not use the private messaging function?

I like your videos, however I think you can improve them drastically by showing the kites in the air. For example if you say the kite pulls like a truck, show an according sequence. Maybe you can just show the kite flying and add the audio line, for me it is not so important to see your faces all the time while your speaking. The audio quality could be heavily improved by recording in a more silent location or shielding your mic. Also all the background information about the riders is not required in the beginning of the video, just make a link to a dedicated video for interested people, or display the information while they are talking.
Hey snowflake: as one of the average joes I thought I might respond. Your comments are all well founded. As you noticed, the video was not a "production studio" thing. It was about a bunch of guys getting together and genuinely comparing the kites we had available through our local shop (XLKites). The data on the riders was important to help folks like you compare weights & measures if you will. A less experienced and heavy rider will have different results than a lighter more experienced rider. To be fair, we did show kite loops so speed could be visibly compared. The "pulls like a truck" type comments were opinions and not proofs. The forum is full of video sequences where someone claims some data (states an opinion) and shows a rider cruising by. There isn't much value in that really. I would be interested in hearing what the "according sequence" you envision would look like on a video that would allow an objective person to see the difference in "pulls like a truck". Please share your specific ideas on this.

All in all, it was simple and genuine and real. Just like your comments.

Thanks for the feedback.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Sat May 30, 2015 5:09 pm

atomic-chomik wrote:Myself, i fly both North and OR kites and have found good compatibly between bar/line and kites. I have a couple OR below depower systems(varying length line) and a North Quad(w 24 m lines). I ran into a couple of time not being able to release my depower cleat on the below the bar Trim system from OR so i started using my quad above bar setup(using my 17 Flite). Above bar was great...until i started to get into the upper range of the kite. Not being able to "overpower salute" as we call it with the quad bar is an issue and resulted in getting yanked around and bit, lofted a couple times and just generally not cool. Going back to the Or system on the 17 v2 Flite was the answer, the unlimited throw pretty much disarmed the kite when I let go of the bar, if i had/have to, but moreover being able to sheet wayyyyy out helps to depower the kite on turns and in gusty or overpowered conditions. All that said and done, as amazing as these light wind kites are, in my opinion, they can be really dangerous and being able to properly and comfortably depower is truly critical.
So this speaks to two things for me personally.

1. The range on the OR Flite is huge (this is my experience on my Flite 17 too!!)
2. I switch down if I'm on a tiny board, have the trim system at max trim and I'm still getting lofted (but hey, that's just me).

Please be careful :)

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Sun May 31, 2015 8:07 am

Oh ya, at 200 pounds, prob 210 with wetsuit and gear on I've found the bottom end of my 17 Flite to be 9knots up and functionally going. This is with a surfboard with very little rocker and a fair bit of volume(5'10 potatonator). Kite flies somehow in what must be 4'ish knots, but usable power is at 8-9. At 10-13 knots its in its perfect range, as in all the power i need but not too...grunty. 14-17, i have to start thinking a bit more on how i will be moving the kite (aka lit) and Ive had it up to 20, which is a hell of a lot of work lol(perhaps a bit dangerous to land too).

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:51 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Dimitri M wrote: This is the reason why I am willing to send the kites world wide for people to demo. This is a good example of the INFINITY V3 model. Because I know most of the time people will end up buying it after demoing it. Its not brain surgery.
With all due Respect Mr.D the only reason why you're sending your kites out so eagerly, is because you're using the "please hold my baby"-selling strategy. Seems to be working alright... when people have nothing to compare it to, but as we had a pleasure to observe with the LW-testing that these guys did, your baby isn't the coolest kid around the block when there are other ones around. Cheers! :allbegood:
Hey pikovsg read this since you were not kiting yet at that time....you need to get up to speed on stuff :thumb:

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:00 pm

Thanks Pullstrings.

Pikovsg, this thread is an oldy but a goody with a lot of great info in it regarding the popularity of our Flite kite as the world's 1st high performance light wind kite. The new Gen 4s are now shipping world wide and we managed to shave an additional 3% of the weight off these compared to the Gen 2 and 3 that this thread is referring to...

We have dealers with stock and demo availability - let me know if I can help get you connected with one of them!

John Z

Return to “Kitesurfing”