PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:48 am 
Medium Poster

I found the OR Flite presentation by their kite designer pretty interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1xJT9wF ... re&index=3

Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:07 am 
Frequent Poster

AGK wrote:
My compliments on an interesting and informative set of reviews -- very well done!

Could you comment a little more on how the kites acted at the 20 mph end of your test wind range -- particularly the extent to which they depowered using bar trim (your reviews emphasized how well they went to the edge of the window when edging). I admit I'm particularly interested in that info for the Flite, but any comments appreicated. Thanks!

Andy

Andy,
I really wasn't using the trim much at all, and I usually don't. Understand that I started back when we were all riding 2 lines, so I just learned to edge hard. Even when I converted to 4 line, I retied the trim line to make it so the kite was at maximum power with the bar out. This made it so I didn't have to pull the bar in. The only way to depower the kite was with the depower strap. I rode this way for 12 years. SO, I tend to not use the depower as much as I just edge HARD.
Now, for the last 1 1/2 years, I've been instructing and therefore using kites set up like a NORMAL person. :wink: I have extensive amounts of time on Switchblades, Turbines, Velocitys, XR2s, Contras, Crossbows and Wainmans. My take on the kites when they were REALLY powered up:
The XR3 19m and the Turbine definitely needed to be controlled a little more carefully. They were pulling pretty damn hard and could start pulling me downwind/sitting deeper in the window with a lack of attention. Of those two, the XR3 was a little easier to jump vertically when fully powered like that. Unless you really mind your technique, the Turbine tends to pull you off the water before it gets to zenith, resulting in a low jump that covers a long distance.
The Contra was the slightly smoother of the two when compared with the Flite in that high wind. They were both really fun and I prefered the speed of the Flite when I was lit. I got a little better hangtime on the Contra, but that may be because I'm very used to Crossbows and I found it somewhat similar. I think the Flite may win once I get more time to get it dialed in, but only time will tell. I can say this, though...I was out on the Flite when others were riding their 12's. I got hit by a 30mph gust and discovered that that is definitely TOO MUCH for the Flite 17. ;) Those on the beach got a kick out of seeing me get WORKED. Fortunately, it was only momentary. Check out the Ikitesurf graph for that day. You can see the gust when it happened. Also, the sensor is at an inland airport and regularly reads 3-5 mph low.

Destin Wind Archive - 1/15/2014 Next Day >>

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything else. As we stated before, we are average joes, just like you. We just happen to be lucky enough to get to do this for a living. 8) :thumb:

If you think of something else you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:10 am 
Frequent Poster

I'll try this again...having problems getting this graph posted properly...

http://old.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.i ... +Yesterday

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:20 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I can assure you that the Fat Lady will Not PULL with Static grunt like the Turbine or the Core 19. I owned a F L and was not impressed. I weigh 245 pies.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:52 am 
Frequent Poster

14ToeSide wrote:
I can assure you that the Fat Lady will Not PULL with Static grunt like the Turbine or the Core 19. I owned a F L and was not impressed. I weigh 245 pies.

I agree. I rode a FL this past spring back to back with a Turbine and it wasn't really even close. The FL was faster, but really what good is that if it doesn't pull?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:01 am 
Medium Poster

SENDIT! wrote:
The FL was faster, but really what good is that if it doesn't pull?

Depending on the rider's level of obesity, riding style and choice of board, that can be "a lot of good".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:46 am 
Medium Poster

SupaEZ wrote:
From the video i hear 5 enthusiastic guys nearly drooling about the Core XR3 19....
.....and then none of them would not buy one

Weird

Supa, did you try clicking on the Core link of their page?
https://www.xlkites.com/page.asp?region=9

Edit: after this post they have included Core kites on their page...I guess now the test riders would be able to buy one

Last edited by lobodomar on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:31 am 
Very Frequent Poster

At 6' 5 and 245 pies there is no Obesity involved here. Bottom line I don't care if a Kite turns so fast you can't even see the turn, if it doesn't have the JUICE it's a Tarp to me.

If u are in the Popcorn fart weight class the Lady may Sing for u. :chorus: :chorus: :desperado: :desperado: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

OceanAdventures wrote:
KYLakeKiter wrote:
That was a great review. Is there any chance you can get ahold of a Fat Lady to test when you get the good Infinity V3? That would really round out the high AR kites before you move to the low ARs. Plus, it would be a very cool "battle of the Momi kites". :naughty: Oh yea, and the Zephyr. :wink: (that recommendation came out while I was typing :lol: )

Will see what we can do about the fat lady... We flew the zephyr, and in light wind it didn't compare to these other kites in low end.

Yeh good point,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:08 am 
Medium Poster

Hi guys,

Big Thank You for all your efforts :thumb:

Am I interpreting this right if I say that the Contra has the most power (I think it was two or three guys that said "most powerful kite") but turns less fast than the Flite (however Contra has more hangtime), turns similar to the Turbine (which surprises me, since Turbine is much more stretched (AR) and when I flew the Turbine 2013 against Contra, the Contra was quite quicker) and turns faster than the other rest...

Thanks

[ 383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39  Next