All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:20 am 
Frequent Poster

@OR-Sales: what I hate in kiteboarding is the lack of integrity of the manufacturers. Why is the guy walking towards the kite in your video? Core used to say... Oh that's because he is on land... This is a damn inflatable, show me what it does on the water... Are you telling me that OR dors not test its product in the water before going to market? No one, during the hours and hours of testing could pull the trigger with the gopro on?

Gimme a break,your kite does not flip on its back...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:26 am 
Frequent Poster

flipper231 wrote:
@OR-Sales: what I hate in kiteboarding is the lack of integrity of the manufacturers. Why is the guy walking towards the kite in your video? Core used to say... Oh that's because he is on land... This is a damn inflatable, show me what it does on the water... Are you telling me that OR dors not test its product in the water before going to market? No one, during the hours and hours of testing could pull the trigger with the gopro on?

I had the same issue with a couple of different kite when releasing in light weather to test the system, switchblade 2011 and 2013, older varial 2009 or 2010, xr3, best ts 2012, kahoona 2010, bandit b6. I had to swim alittle. When releasing in crazy weather though; once on the xr3, once on the sblade and once on the ts, they all worked fine. Those mini 5th line work better in strong wind. Best, airuh, ocean rodeo all had oh shitrelease so in lighter stuff like kite dropping in lightwind it isnt an issue. Core have the new system which flags on one line, say better than the older one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:49 pm 
Medium Poster

Since this post came up again......

After deciding the O.R. control bar was not right for me, I decided to return it. John Z took the bar back with no hassles. He was even willing to honor ocean rodeo's 30 day satisfaction guarantee and take the kite back as well. I am very happy I kept the flite. I took out a small personal loan and bought a 2014 north quad bar. This bar has the immediate depower i was looking for.
A few weeks ago i was out in 7-11 mph winds. The only other kite out was a core lw 19m. Even though the other kiter has much more experience then i, I was faster and could angle upwind more efficiently. I was jumping 10-14 ft when the wind gusted above 9mph. I was riding a litewave wing 146 and weigh 153 lbs. The other kiter was on a big flat board and had 10 more pounds on me
When the wind is 10-12 mph i can ride my custom 140 and start having a lot of fun. On the high end, Ive been out in 12-16mph and did not feel over powered. Although, I was fully depowered. For me, i think 20mph would be the upper most limit using the last knot on the pigtails.

I am very very happy with my Flite and quad bar combo. Thank you John Z.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:25 pm 
Rare Poster

Kind of late to this thread, but FWIW, NO kite will pivot up onto its wingtip and relaunch without enough wind. There simply isn't enough leverage to lift the whole kite up and over. Swimming toward the kite allows it to flag over and back then you can pull it up easily. That used to be the only way to get a kite to relaunch back when I started. Don't bitch about how you actually have to work a bit to relaunch a kite.

Another easy way to relaunch if the kite won't stand up is simply grab both back lines and fly it up in reverse. Release one line when it stops going up and it'll pivot and you're flying again. Easy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:54 pm 
Frequent Poster

Sorry folks, was just on a week long vacation to PEI (Canada). Highly recommend this lovely little island as an AMAZING kite location. Wind, waves, warm water, quaint villages and $6 lobster, everywhere.... but, I digress.

flipper231 wrote:
@OR-Sales: what I hate in kiteboarding is the lack of integrity of the manufacturers. Why is the guy walking towards the kite in your video?

Flipper... I don't suspect I am going to convince you of much but for the benefit of others, here's my response.

You're right, we should have filmed this in the water but it was a quick and dirty video done on a budget.

However, you're also correct that Ross takes a step towards the kite to simulate what it would be like if ejected in the water and floating. The OP (below) had the same experience with his eject when he was in shallow water and dug in his heels, in this case the kite won't be able to roll over completely but as soon as some drift is introduced the kite will roll over.

I can't say when but I will attempt to get footage of a proper eject in the water which I can then share. However, for you to imply that our kites are not safe is simply untrue. As I said in my 1st post on the subject, we discuss and review eject options with almost every RnD discussion around bars and remain convinced that the roll over bridle system is the best solution for consistent depower, especially with kiters who loop, downloop or roll with their kite often, which is the vast majority.

Do-it wrote:

After deciding the O.R. control bar was not right for me, I decided to return it. John Z took the bar back with no hassles. He was even willing to honor ocean rodeo's 30 day satisfaction guarantee and take the kite back as well. I am very happy I kept the flite. I took out a small personal loan and bought a 2014 north quad bar. This bar has the immediate depower i was looking for.

I am very very happy with my Flite and quad bar combo. Thank you John Z.

Happy to have helped and even more happy to hear that you are so excited about the Flite and that you've found a bar system you are comfortable with, confidence on the water is key!

Bushflyr wrote:
Kind of late to this thread, but FWIW, NO kite will pivot up onto its wingtip and relaunch without enough wind. There simply isn't enough leverage to lift the whole kite up and over. Swimming toward the kite allows it to flag over and back then you can pull it up easily. That used to be the only way to get a kite to relaunch back when I started. Don't bitch about how you actually have to work a bit to relaunch a kite.

Glad someone said it! I need to stay PC on here! ha.

John Z - OR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:03 am 
Frequent Poster

Do-it wrote:

snip

LOL regarding the small personal loan for the North bar. Good to hear about your experience with John Z. and OR, that's outstanding service.

[ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40